Cape Town Cannon Challenge

herrowpreeze

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lekker. I've been enjoying these virtual events ever since Ryan Sandes started his FKT series for mountain running. A good way to deviate from the monotony of doing the same weekend rides and runs and to to challenge mates.

Ah man, I'm amped 2 do this over 2 days this weekend. Is it completely unadvisable to do this route alone?  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Trance Dance said:

I see they missed the cannons at the queen's blockhouse. Oversight or intentional display of patriarchal monarchism??? 

Is there a cannon at Queen's Blockhouse? I've run past those ruins many times and never seen a cannon.

1 minute ago, MongooseMan said:

Is there a cannon at Queen's Blockhouse? I've run past those ruins many times and never seen a cannon.

i guess there doesn't have to be a cannon at presnt for it to be an historical cannon site...

Just now, MORNE said:

i guess there doesn't have to be a cannon at presnt for it to be an historical cannon site...

But can you visit a ghost cannon? 😁 (Also, by that logic, I'd imagine there are far more than 16 "historic" cannon sites in Cape Town; could turn into a multiday effort...)

15 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

But can you visit a ghost cannon? 😁 (Also, by that logic, I'd imagine there are far more than 16 "historic" cannon sites in Cape Town; could turn into a multiday effort...)

the queens blockhouse was part of three defensive "forts" on that face of table mountain... (including the kings blockhouse and the Prince of wales one). it wasn't just any cleared piece of veld where there happened to be a cannon lol

47405147.jpg

qb.jpg

pw.jpg

Edited by MORNE

18 minutes ago, MORNE said:

the queens blockhouse was part of three defensive "forts" on that face of table mountain... (including the kings blockhouse and the Prince of wales one). it wasn't just any cleared piece of veld where there happened to be a cannon lol

47405147.jpg

Huh, cool, have run past many times, but clearly never gone around to see those.

Nevertheless, I imagine the descent from there would be... interesting... on a gravel bike 🙈

Edited by MongooseMan

It's been a few years but isn't that trail a no-go area for bikes? Probably wise for the event organisers to avoid it?

16 minutes ago, Nick said:

It's been a few years but isn't that trail a no-go area for bikes? Probably wise for the event organisers to avoid it?

Yes, but technically so is this section, so 🤷‍♂️

26556674-150be09549bd07de7827879c78f7d4ce.png?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAJSCJQ2NM3XLFPVKA%2F20220502%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20220502T151817Z&X-Amz-Expires=28800&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=e174ce5afc62efd67f9cf5de920b2d9b35251e364aa8b4ebb6d5bb54afd2e2f3

1 hour ago, MongooseMan said:

Yes, but technically so is this section, so 🤷‍♂️

26556674-150be09549bd07de7827879c78f7d4ce.png?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAJSCJQ2NM3XLFPVKA%2F20220502%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20220502T151817Z&X-Amz-Expires=28800&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=e174ce5afc62efd67f9cf5de920b2d9b35251e364aa8b4ebb6d5bb54afd2e2f3

Which section is that? Is it that incredibly rocky connector that looks like a landslide?

I shall attempt to ride and run this over a weekend later in the year.

Looks pretty fun and good practice following a breadcrumb route and not maps. 

It's pretty fun doing things designed by someone else. I like what I like with regards to the mountain and seldom use paths and parts that don't fit neatly in between my favourite peaks/climbs/descents.

16 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Which section is that? Is it that incredibly rocky connector that looks like a landslide?

Yeah. I've run down it a few times, have numerous videos of friends seeing their ass coming down too 😂

I am not looking forward to lugging my steel bike up there with 120km in the legs 😂🙈

1 hour ago, MongooseMan said:

Yeah. I've run down it a few times, have numerous videos of friends seeing their ass coming down too 😂

I am not looking forward to lugging my steel bike up there with 120km in the legs 😂🙈

That's "Traill 11" according to Trailforks...that section is definitely not rideable, either hike-a-bike or you have to ride on past it way out towards below Queen's blockhouse and climb the switchbacks....from Rhodes Gate all the way to the King's Blockhouse is rideable with almost any MTB/gravel bike if you stick to the main jeep track....video coming soon!

6 minutes ago, capediver said:

That's "Traill 11" according to Trailforks...that section is definitely not rideable, either hike-a-bike or you have to ride on past it way out towards below Queen's blockhouse and climb the switchbacks....from Rhodes Gate all the way to the King's Blockhouse is rideable with almost any MTB/gravel bike if you stick to the main jeep track....video coming soon!

Very pleased to hear everyone saying it's not rideable... Felt a bit of a wuss walking down it a while back when a wrong turn sent me off course. 

Waiting to hear from someone who has ridden it now.