Nutrition for long rides

Op1

2 hours ago, _David_ said:

I'm the same on long slow rides I can easily do 4 to 5 hrs with only water.

I can, but then I get home and eat everything I can find for the rest of the day, which leaves me feeling **** 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm asking the average Jo's if they follow this on normal days out. 

If you do, then I'm guessing it's because you believe in the performance aspect of it. That's cool. My next question then asks what it is about performance that is appealing enough to run equations etc

I'm honestly not being facetious, I'm genuinely interested in what drives 'normal' people who aren't winning stuff or really in a position to win stuff to try seek performance.

I find it fascinating

I’m a club-level coach, and guide (my) club riders with training, which also includes nutrition and a few other fundamentals. I’m not a qualified nutritionist, but I am a subscriber on a USA-based coaches forum where I consult with other coaches, physiologists/sports scientists, nutritionists, strength and conditioning coaches and other experts. I allows me to get the best possible information, or to share data to get a better understanding of what went wrong. Pity we don’t have a similar setup in SA, but given the numbers compare to Europe/USA, it’s not surprising.

As I plan their workouts and rides, I can also guide them on the estimated nutrition required, if needed. Not all workouts require carbs, or at least the high number that is catching some by surprise.

The calculation is therefore something I need to know, but it’s super easy when a workout/ride has some form of structure, and preferred to be power based. Even if it’s not strictly adhered to the basics are there to guide them. 

As for driving normal people who aren’t winning things, it’s all relative. Vets, A or B or C bunch riders are competing against each other and like to win, or do well in, their respective start groups. So they may be amateurs but competitive amateurs.

As for the genuine fun riders, it might be that they feel tired and don’t train the next day, as a result of not feeding correctly. I have three that aren’t in my club that I’m also helping to get back into consistent training. They used to take one bottle with a half-mix (too sweet) and a bottle of water, for a 3 hour ride. They would regularly stop at a garage to get a red ambulance.  Once they took sufficient carbs on the ride, they didn’t need the garage stop anymore.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

As for the genuine fun riders, it might be that they feel tired

This

I'm not a pro, cycling is something I fit in around everything else I need to do. If the reason I'm feeling knackered after a ride is because I'm not fueling my body correctly then its an easy thing to fix.

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

I can only not eat for 5 hours straight when I sleep !

ha... I've been intermittent fasting for a couple years now so I think my body is used to it.

I'm confused. Obviously not good at reading nutrition tables.

For those using 32Gi Race Pro, I see the carbs per serving are pretty much the same as Endure, so how is Race Pro better ?

40 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I'm confused. Obviously not good at reading nutrition tables.

For those using 32Gi Race Pro, I see the carbs per serving are pretty much the same as Endure, so how is Race Pro better ?

Endure is mostly glucose, so you can only get 60g/hour into your system.

RacePro is a mix of glucose and fructose. They use different transporters in your body to get it into your system. 90g/hour.

Then, you can put close to 3 hours in one concentrated solution. Have a look at Mark’s video where he explains it.

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Endure is mostly glucose, so you can only get 60g/hour into your system.

RacePro is a mix of glucose and fructose. They use different transporters in your body to get it into your system. 90g/hour.

Then, you can put close to 3 hours in one concentrated solution. Have a look at Mark’s video where he explains it.

thanks Frosty, will take a gander at the video tonight on wifi

10 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Endure is 44g per serving
Race is 68g per serving
RacePro is 60g per serving

I'm using Endure for a while now (gone through 4-5 tubs).  Was not aware the Race/RacePro is also suitable for endurance rides, will certainly try that when my current Endure is finished.

I use Race for the 100km races, and keep RacePro for the longer (3-6 hour) rides/races. Endure covers my needs for the HIIT workouts.

Then I look out for the 2+1 specials at Dischem, and buy what I need for the next block or two.

image.jpeg.d808163077e3ec56f68f0883378c98a9.jpeg

76EAA26B-2C1D-49D3-AA3A-84CB3F64E170.png.add8c8a4274c3e75e0dc2118971e7bec.png

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Endure is 44g per serving
Race is 68g per serving
RacePro is 60g per serving

Yes, race pro is 60g per serving (3 scoops i think), but then you put 3-4 servings in a single bottle. ( I have done Up to 12 scoops in a single 750ml bottle). You then drink this bottle over the duration of the ride. Carb intake sorted.

then your other bottle is to sort hydration intake (water and electrolytes). Racepro also has protein in.

Edited by W@nted

I use this and it is much cheaper than the RacePro/ Enduren, SIS etc ...gives multiple transport of both G/F for the same results as those expensive products, I just add a pinch of salt for electrolytes and a bit of Oros for taste and I can get up to 120g/h.

image.png

Edited by Job
Spelling

4 minutes ago, Job said:

I use this and it is much cheaper than the RacePro/ Enduren, SIS etc ...gives multiple transport of both G/F for the same results as those expensive products, I just add a pinch of salt for electrolytes and a bit of Oros for taste and I can get up to 120g/h.

image.png

Not exactly diabetic friendly .... then again, few of these suppliments are .... 

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

I use Race for the 100km races, and keep RacePro for the longer (3-6 hour) rides/races. Endure covers my needs for the HIIT workouts.

Then I look out for the 2+1 specials at Dischem, and buy what I need for the next block or two.

image.jpeg.d808163077e3ec56f68f0883378c98a9.jpeg

76EAA26B-2C1D-49D3-AA3A-84CB3F64E170.png.add8c8a4274c3e75e0dc2118971e7bec.png

I drink USN Winners Energ... 1kg for around R140 😃 

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Not exactly diabetic friendly .... then again, few of these suppliments are .... 

Both Tim Noakes and Ross Tucker have said carb intake during exercise isn’t a problem. It’s the carbs intake outside of exercise. 

Some podcasts that cover the subject and a bit more.

Addressing endurance athlete gut issues https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/fast-talk/id1490521721?i=1000554354739

Tim Noakes on weight management (is it as simple as calories in vs calories out?)
https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/fast-talk/id1490521721?i=1000529685951

Ross Tucker on Fuel and Hydration
https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/the-real-science-of-sport-podcast/id1461719225?i=1000551178940