Post Ride Bill Splits

OVERDRIVE

Splitwise seems pretty cool. But I assume you need all parties to consent as to how costs are divided or allocated 

If a person is a dwis and refuses to accept it, you still can’t get the bills settled properly 

Unfortunately an app cannot make an honest person out of a dwis 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, MORNE said:

You sir need to go ahead and let your domestics explain to you where they hide their cash....

That is the same cash that eventually gets handed to you by whomever. 

Spoiler alert...it's bleak

I refuse. I also dont support ANY stores or stalls that only take cash. I pay my taxes so they can too

And also...cash...GROSS.

i use my phone for everything too (apple pay).

😅

Elitist ... "Apple Pay" .. just use Snapscan like the rest of us plebs

9 hours ago, Frosty said:
  1. Like sausages, some types taste okay, but it's better not to see how they make it.

2. In 49 years, a lot of notes have passed through these grubby paws of mine.
    Hand wash and sanitiser was part of my hygiene ritual long before covid. Let's say it's part of my daily work life, so I know them risks.

Ah, you are a taxi driver then :P

I realise I am lucky (and maybe stupid) but with cycling mates I have never had an issue (I can remember anyway which is a storey on its own). Either we split the bill equally or whoever transports, doesn't pay. Regardless. I do sometimes take the cash and pay with a card; some friends have sources of cash.

Stupid is that I have been suckered quite a few times by going out, mostly with business people and friends to lunch (usually), sometimes dinner, and then being stuck with the bill with some interesting excuses; credit card hasn't come through, forgotten, sometimes the colleague just disappears as the bill appears etc. I will have to work until I die. With one guy, since departed these shores, it was an ongoing joke, albeit a costly one for me.

5 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Elitist ... "Apple Pay" .. just use Snapscan like the rest of us plebs

I know you jest but for clarity:

Snapscan requires the vendor to have it…and they take like 3% or something…so it costs more for everybody..so you are actually veing elitist haha.

Apple pay (or whatever androids propably intermittent working version is lol) is not an app. Its just a digital version of your card. Like a digital sim.
As soon as person asks you to ‘tap or insert’, you just unlock your phone and tap it instead. No pins, no R500 limit before pin needed, no fees, no bank authentication through app like some of them do with snapscan. Your phone is in essence your new bank card since you set it up through your bank. Also…no swearing if they have zapper instead of snapscan haha. 

Ps: i still use snapscan when they have a stall and no card machine or some other person is hogging it.

46 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I know you jest but for clarity:

Snapscan requires the vendor to have it…and they take like 3% or something…so it costs more for everybody..so you are actually veing elitist haha.

Apple pay (or whatever androids propably intermittent working version is lol) is not an app. Its just a digital version of your card. Like a digital sim.
As soon as person asks you to ‘tap or insert’, you just unlock your phone and tap it instead. No pins, no R500 limit before pin needed, no fees, no bank authentication through app like some of them do with snapscan. Your phone is in essence your new bank card since you set it up through your bank. Also…no swearing if they have zapper instead of snapscan haha. 

Ps: i still use snapscan when they have a stall and no card machine or some other person is hogging it.

I am unable to access my Snapscan app since I keep getting told my mobile number is not registered, or something to that effect, but I have not changed it at any point. So I'm limited to using Zapper, but I've been hesitant to using my mobile NFC for my card.

Noem my bang, maar daai maak my senuwees klaar.

20 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I am unable to access my Snapscan app since I keep getting told my mobile number is not registered, or something to that effect, but I have not changed it at any point. So I'm limited to using Zapper, but I've been hesitant to using my mobile NFC for my card.

Its amazing. Just do it. Just as secure unless someone ‘silent of the lambs’ your face or fingers to unlock it. Cards are less secure imo because they dont require pins when tapping for less than R500 mostly. So a skelm could empty your account R500 at s time by tapping your card if they wanted - something i overheard happening to a foreign tourist while waiting in  line at police station a few weeks ago. They took het for R40k in a day - R500 at a time lol.

You cant use it by accident. On iPhones you first obviously have to unlock your phone, then you need to double click the power button to bring up the function, then face ID again, then present phone to card machine.

Im sure android phones have similar measures. Best of all, it’s borderless. Use it all over the world.

edit: i also like not having to carry my wallet. 

Edited by MORNE

6 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Its amazing. Just do it. Just as secure unless someone ‘silent of the lambs’ your face or fingers to unlock it. Cards are less secure imo because they dont require pins when tapping for less than R500 mostly. So a skelm could empty your account R500 at s time by tapping your card if they wanted - something i overheard happening to a foreign tourist while waiting in  line at police station a few weeks ago. They took het for R40k in a day - R500 at a time lol.

You cant use it by accident. On iPhones you first obviously have to unlock your phone, then you need to double click the power button to bring up the function, then face ID again, then present phone to card machine.

Im sure android phones have similar measures. Best of all, it’s borderless. Use it all over the world.

For a physical card, keep it in a wallet that wont let the card be scanned through it.

On the iphone, you dont need to unlock first, double tap the power button, face id and you're ready to spend.

On the post ride split bill. What is this post ride stop you guys are talking about ? 

3 minutes ago, ouzo said:

For a physical card, keep it in a wallet that wont let the card be scanned through it.

I use this card holder which also has RFID scan protection embedded. I tested it and it works. The best part is it has removed the bulky wallet from my pocket. 

https://www.takealot.com/minimalist-wallet-card-holder-money-clip-rfid-blocking/PLID54489224?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-daUBhCIARIsALbkjSYqIpBj3ply37fXGYOIJQfErq3vlVSRdMTrgZ7tZbIN23qkLfEc_GcaAsD-EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

57500825-1Q-zoom.jpg

3 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I use this card holder which also has RFID scan protection embedded. I tested it and it works. The best part is it has removed the bulky wallet from my pocket. 

https://www.takealot.com/minimalist-wallet-card-holder-money-clip-rfid-blocking/PLID54489224?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-daUBhCIARIsALbkjSYqIpBj3ply37fXGYOIJQfErq3vlVSRdMTrgZ7tZbIN23qkLfEc_GcaAsD-EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

57500825-1Q-zoom.jpg

same thing I'm using. Love it. Havent carried a normal wallet for about 6 years now.

3 minutes ago, ouzo said:

same thing I'm using. Love it. Havent carried a normal wallet for about 6 years now.

Driver's license in phone case. Don't even carry a wallet (or cash) around anymore.

Car gaurds hate this one trick.

(until they pull out the Snapscan QR)

32 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

you register on snapscan with your cellnumber then you get an OTP on registration, have you done this?  perhaps there was an issue while doing this?

22 minutes ago, MORNE said:

edit: i also like not having to carry my wallet. 

I use the same but link your virtual card to the to all payment systems/Apps for extra protection. If the app is clever it will update the CVV if not you'll need to put it in manually..

3 minutes ago, throttles said:

you register on snapscan with your cellnumber then you get an OTP on registration, have you done this?  perhaps there was an issue while doing this?

I use the same but link your virtual card to the to all payment systems/Apps for extra protection. If the app is clever it will update the CVV if not you'll need to put it in manually..

speak to me about this virtual card ?

2 minutes ago, throttles said:

Ja, I was actually thinking of linking a virtual card to the phone for this exercise. That way at least you can control the spend as well by just preloading funds.