Gx 12spd

Matt006

14 minutes ago, Matt006 said:

Problems and advantages of the gx 12spd mechanical 

I have never had problems per se, but I have heard it develops mounting bolt play. In my opinion, get an xo1 derailleur if you can afford it or purchase the xx1 bolt kit. Otherwise a lekka good value drivetrain.

56 minutes ago, Matt006 said:

Problems and advantages of the gx 12spd mechanical 

Problems, none really, sets the standard for a workhorse groupset. Just make sure to take the time to have it indexed and set properly, a bit of blue loctite or thread tape will sort out any bolt play issues. 
Also take the time to swap out/rotate chains every once in a while. It'll prolong the lifespan, holds true for any drivetrain really. 
My only real issue was that I really really preferred the functionality and ergonomics of XT shifter units.

12 minutes ago, madmarc said:

...... Make sure they are set up perfectly though or you be cursing like a sailor 

A bike shop converted my 2x Trek to a 1x with GX ... fine for maybe 500km .... then the "drifting" started .... sold the bike soon after, so never got to the bottom of it ....

The Scott 940 came with a GX setup ..... again, fine for 500km, then the drifting started .... bike shop never got it sorted for more than a few rides at a time .....

YES, I know there are many riders who had totally trouble free ownership with GX.

But my experience with it confirms what you said: " Make sure they are set up perfectly though or you be cursing like a sailor"

Excellent groupset. No complaints from me. Up spec the chain to an X01 version and you'll be good for many miles. B-Gap tension is vital to get right

24 minutes ago, thebob said:

Excellent groupset. No complaints from me. Up spec the chain to an X01 version and you'll be good for many miles. B-Gap tension is vital to get right

Agree 1000% with both these points.

Performance seems to dive off a clif at a point but this point differs for most people.

Xo1 chain and the bolt kit are noteworthy upgrades.

XX1 shifter makes it feel like alot better performing drivetain than it really is.

Pulleys can also be upgraded.

Excellent at price point but you expect better when paying that 

Recently did the upgrade to full GX lunar. I haven't had an issue as mentioned above. Hopefully those issues were as per the previous GX. 

I was also told to put a 34t chainring on to not use the higher gears as much as I was, to prolong the casettes lifespan. 

3 hours ago, BrettS said:

Recently did the upgrade to full GX lunar. I haven't had an issue as mentioned above. Hopefully those issues were as per the previous GX. 

I was also told to put a 34t chainring on to not use the higher gears as much as I was, to prolong the casettes lifespan. 

Pretty sure the mounting bolt play still occurs with the new GX. But someone correct me if I am wrong please, also surely a cassette is durable enough to be ridden normally, unless you either ride from really long/ride every day or you are on a super tight budget, I can't see the point of not using the higher gears. They are after all there for a reason I guess

Most problems are due to shitty cables and housing. I tend to exclusively use Jagwire or Shimano Sp41 housing with the Jagwire Pro Shift Slick cables. 
i used to opt for the SRAM alloy housing end caps but realised these need to be replaced often because once the rubber boot seal wears the cable rubs the alloy end cap and the shifting goes to a ball of crap. I’ve gone back to the Jagwire or Shimano plastic end caps which seem to last longer but so have a settling period an s do t provide as crisp a shift as the alloy end caps.

nealry every GX or NX drivetrain I’ve troubleshot it’s been the housing or end caps or a kink in the cable 

mechanically the GX derailleurs work just fine. Even NX is trouble free if you apply loctite to the pulley wheel axle bolts k ok r just check them regularly 

GX is just peachy. Running the new Lunar with zero issues. 

I have however given up completely on smooth shifts with my Evil. No amount of B screw tweaking sorts out the issue with middle of the cassette ticks and missed shifts. I think it is just what it is and I'll live with it.

Did it with Shimano XT/XTR as well...

4 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

GX is just peachy. Running the new Lunar with zero issues. 

I have however given up completely on smooth shifts with my Evil. No amount of B screw tweaking sorts out the issue with middle of the cassette ticks and missed shifts. I think it is just what it is and I'll live with it.

Did it with Shimano XT/XTR as well...

Check the cassette for burrs, my cassette also ticked in the lower middle part of the cassette, put the bike on a stand, shifted to the sprockets were it ticked and watched the chain, you can see it jump slightly, and then filed off the little burrs, they are really tiny little burrs, my cassette has been silent since I did that, 3 of the sprockets had burrs on them

6 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Check the cassette for burrs, my cassette also ticked in the lower middle part of the cassette, put the bike on a stand, shifted to the sprockets were it ticked and watched the chain, you can see it jump slightly, and then filed off the little burrs, they are really tiny little burrs, my cassette has been silent since I did that, 3 of the sprockets had burrs on them

3 different cassettes. Same issue.