Clamping on dropper post

Quagga

35 minutes ago, Quagga said:

What do you think about clamping a carbon bike at the seatpost and then hammering out the BB?

Without any other support onto the frame?

Would it not put lots of stress on the seatpost and maybe cause horizontal cracks in the carbon seat tube?

I have always put the frame on something on the ground and supported it when removing a BB but maybe I have been wasting my time?

ts about leverage so i stand the bike on the ground and let the whole frame and wheels take the strain.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Surely you 'tap' out a BB with both tires on the floor?

That way no more force is being pushed through any one part of the frame/bike than is when railing corners or hitting flat edges?

In a stand or on a block of wood? yeah nah

there are scenarios where a Press Fit BB needs to be hammered out. Its often best to support the frame on hard rubber blocks or wood in these rare cases

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

there are scenarios where a Press Fit BB needs to be hammered out. Its often best to support the frame on hard rubber blocks or wood in these rare cases

"Press" and "hammer" are interchangeable aren't they?

15 minutes ago, droo said:

"Press" and "hammer" are interchangeable aren't they?

press in hammer out LOL

worse when the hghly expensive frame has a cheap BB cup stuck because the BB shell isn't round.

Then its just the size of the hammer that counts.....and your aim 😆 Those park tool cup removers are a small target

17 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

press in hammer out LOL

worse when the hghly expensive frame has a cheap BB cup stuck because the BB shell isn't round.

Then its just the size of the hammer that counts.....and your aim 😆 Those park tool cup removers are a small target

Green loctite. You'll only know if you've had to deal with it.

43 minutes ago, droo said:

This 603 loctite @droo? It is the devils stuff, we use it all the time 🤣🤣

20220609_145513.jpg

Edited by Chadvdw67

On 6/8/2022 at 4:04 PM, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I have seen it be done and done it for a while. No scratches or damage to any of the droppers. Ever. I guess to each their own but droppers are more likely to get scratched from dirt ingress while riding than being clamped in a clean rubber stand, I guess wrap the dropper in a cloth if you want, but I don't think it is needed. 

I would personally not clamp my dropper post in a work stand either on a 25kg e bike. Forces on the seals would definitely not "like" this!

35 minutes ago, Wobble07 said:

I would personally not clamp my dropper post in a work stand either on a 25kg e bike. Forces on the seals would definitely not "like" this!

how much does the rider weigh?.....or rather what is the weight limit on the bike or dropper post?

that's just something to think about.

Its your choice how you prefer to have the bike clamped

Edited by DieselnDust

Sorry guys, but to everyone who says that you can't clamp an E bike by the seatpost, how do you think they secure the frame while assembling it at the shop? Also you do realise that bike shops have to clamp it to work on the bike... 

4 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Sorry guys, but to everyone who says that you can't clamp an E bike by the seatpost, how do you think they secure the frame while assembling it at the shop? Also you do realise that bike shops have to clamp it to work on the bike... 

Wil jy nou die manne nagmerries gee ....

16 hours ago, droo said:

16 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

basically just a thick superglue

You can and i have used that stuff to fix pinion gears to shafts in small gear assemblies haha.
My vintage steel bike’s fork was a bit worn out at the crown race area when i decided to fit a new bilgy headset. The new headset race didn't go on as tight as one would have liked. So i ‘convinced’ it to stay in place with a drop of green locktite. Let it dry overnight.
It’s been perfect😅

if you would accidentally use that stuff as thread lock on some screws or bolts in important places…..well🤣

Edited by MORNE

16 hours ago, Wobble07 said:

hold on...when you sit on the saddle how much angular force goes through that seatpost and seals...especially going over obstacles?

On 6/8/2022 at 4:08 PM, Quagga said:

ok thanks

But a 27kg Ebike hanging on that little stantion

As compared to 70-100kg of person sitting on the saddle?

Think there’s a bit more force being applied every time you ride the bike than just a static load on the post while in a specifically designed clamp.