Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

Just now, taito said:

I will only do the TV//decoder//WI FI //phone charging and 2 LED lights ,,not planning to connect any15amp plugs ..

I have gas hob 

👍 that would work perfectly.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, taito said:

I will only do the TV//decoder//WI FI //phone charging and 2 LED lights ,,not planning to connect any15amp plugs ..

I have gas hob 

I'm running a 2kw inverter, powering basically similar to you. Works 100% fine. H

Havent checked battery state with everything on after a 4 hour load shed, but from what I've seen with 2 hours it will handle 4 hours without getting into dangerously low battery level territory. (i.e. will still be above 50%)

37 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I got 2 x 455W panels dedicated to the geyser, geyser temp is at 52 deg C without using any grid, more than happy with that.

What’s the setup? 

PV through inverter to geyser element, or something different?

5 minutes ago, Frosty said:

What’s the setup? 

PV through inverter to geyser element, or something different?

The 2 panels is connected to a "Geyser Wise" MPPT controller that feed a dual element in the geyser directly.  The dual element can take Eishkom also, if you should need to supplement.

Hence, its completely separate to my other panels/inverter/batteries.  With some coordination who showers when 🙈, I don't consume any grid on the geyser.

On a good son day it even max out at 75 C on the geyser temp.

Edited by TheoG

2 hours ago, taito said:

I have gas hob 

Okayyyyy .... some interesting feedback in the previous pages ....

Lead acid VS Lithium ......

Each has its place.

For the "short list" you have a lead acid with a typical Mecer box will do the trick at about R12k.

ONE PROBLEM .... once you have power during a load shed MORE items gets plugged in ... :eek:

SECOND PROBLEM .... with stage 4 loadshedding the system simply cant recharge fast enough ....

Thus the battery dies prematurely, and the Lithium guys says: "I told you so..."

For a lead acid system ...

1. Keep the load LOW !!!

2. DONT discharge past 50%, i.e. 12,1V  (actually reduce load at 12,2V !!)

3. Use a PV panel and regulator to top up the battery during day time loadsheds ...

After sunset - our 12V gel battery does a perfect job of driving the same list you have above.

When the sun shines, the PV panel charges the battery and I can run all that plus my laptop while the battery remains FULL .... our battery only knows of loadshedding at night.

SURE - Lithium is a premium product .... noting the following :

1. COST ....

2. You must CHECK if your equipment can actually charge the lithium battery !!!!  You can kill a lithium with the wrong charge-profile !!!

3. Bigger loads, proper PV systems .... lithium is a no brainer :thumbup:  (but not everybody has that cash available ...)

3 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

I'm running a 2kw inverter, powering basically similar to you. Works 100% fine. H

Havent checked battery state with everything on after a 4 hour load shed, but from what I've seen with 2 hours it will handle 4 hours without getting into dangerously low battery level territory. (i.e. will still be above 50%)

word of caution ....

Keep an eye on that battery when we have 3 to 4 loadsheds PER DAY .... the system simply can not recharge the battery before the next loadshed .... repeat this for a week or two and suddenly your battery is dangerously low ...... duur skoolgeld !

PS - this why I added the pv panel to my UPS system.

6 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

word of caution ....

Keep an eye on that battery when we have 3 to 4 loadsheds PER DAY .... the system simply can not recharge the battery before the next loadshed .... repeat this for a week or two and suddenly your battery is dangerously low ...... duur skoolgeld !

We dont run everything for the full 4 hours anyway. Family has been instructed if there is loadshedding they can finish the show they are watching and then TV etc. goes off. Priority is the wifes "office" .

The trolley we bought has the ability to add PV panels. I wont do that now with the current house though.

7 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

word of caution ....

Yea with only one 5kW battery currently these 3 a day with at least one back to back outage is a pain to manage, need to constantly check my levels are high enough with this crappy weather to ensure there is always enough plus a bit of reserve.  Thankfully only had to top up from the grid once on day 1 when we dropped to stage 5 and the time slot didn't allow for enough recharge of the PV as I would have restricted the battery usage if I had known.  Requested a quote on second battery and more panels so patiently waiting now to upgrade.

14 hours ago, -cK- said:

Yea with only one 5kW battery currently these 3 a day with at least one back to back outage is a pain to manage, need to constantly check my levels are high enough with this crappy weather to ensure there is always enough plus a bit of reserve.  Thankfully only had to top up from the grid once on day 1 when we dropped to stage 5 and the time slot didn't allow for enough recharge of the PV as I would have restricted the battery usage if I had known.  Requested a quote on second battery and more panels so patiently waiting now to upgrade.

I got 10.8 kWh batteries and thankfully so far I didn't need to use the grid to charge them yet.  If the bad weather persist, it might be inevitable though ... 😞

On 12/13/2022 at 12:31 PM, taito said:

I just bought a 2400 Mecer inverter for the TV/Wifi etc..  Does it warrant spending R 12k on a lithuim battery versus 2 deep cycles at R 4700 for both

You should be able to get a lithium for cheaper..bought mine for R7,500 a few months ago.

2 hours ago, tinmug said:

Now the fun starts: De Ruyter has resigned. 🙈🙉🙊

Andre walks end of March ...

Jan Oberholtzer retires a few days later ....

12 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Andre walks end of March ...

Jan Oberholtzer retires a few days later ....

So that means I need to sort out my upgrade before then I guess...🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, -cK- said:

So that means I need to sort out my upgrade before then I guess...🤷‍♂️

had a 'dam we timed it perfect' moment last night...

12 minutes ago, dave303e said:

had a 'dam we timed it perfect' moment last night...

Same here, my system is working sweetly, can even cope with about 3 bad weather days in a row.

Edited by TheoG