Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

3 minutes ago, Trashy said:

I have a Mecer Inverter backup system that needs repairs.

Can anyone recommend someone in the Western Cape that can take a look at it for me?

It is an out of warranty repair.

Mercer inverter agents: 

Mustek Western Cape

3 Richmond Northern Close,
Richmond Park,
Richwood,
Cape Town,
South Africa

https://mustek.co.za/support/

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/14/2022 at 6:31 PM, ChrisF said:

The question remains: "What do you need to run your IDT during a loadshed?"

I have the following IDT setup:

- KickrCore

- NUC PC, running Zwift

- 32" screen

- desk top fan

Screenshot_20220714-170750_Gallery.jpg.4ad3f64a34d04b39ab133ff9cf5f7920.jpg

Test ONE :

- KickrCore

- NUC PC, running Zwift

- 32" screen

I was surprised that this system only draws 70W  (excluding the wifi).  That is barely 5,4A, at 13V.

Thats less than 15A from the possible 50A during a loadshed.

Test TWO :

Now I added the desk top fan .... 121W total draw.

Screenshot_20220714-190051_Gallery.jpg.0b16a3964457e8d9feffaa52421d497b.jpg

This is getting close to 10A draw, or 25A during a 2,5 hour loadshed - if you can survive on Zwift that long.  Still perfectly fine on a basic 12V single battery inverter trolley.

First real IDT test ...

Loadshedding started at18.00.  UPS powered the tv, decoder, and wifi till 19.00.

I then started the NUC PC, screen and IDT ... After a 40 minute ride I was flat and the battery still strong ....

Granted, it is a proper cold winters night, so I did not use the fan.  This about as much power as the other items combined.

On 8/15/2022 at 12:34 PM, Trashy said:

I have a Mecer Inverter backup system that needs repairs.

Can anyone recommend someone in the Western Cape that can take a look at it for me?

It is an out of warranty repair.

Take it straight to Mustek.

They will repair or tell you to ditch. Anyone else will probably also sent it in to them. But I can safely say that repairs cost the same if not more than a replacement....... If you can get stock. We have 30 on back order, stock arriving in September, depending on the variant

Edited by Dicky DQ
Additions

35 minutes ago, Dicky DQ said:

Take it straight to Mustek.

They will repair or tell you to ditch. Anyone else will probably also sent it in to them. But I can safely say that repairs cost the same if not more than a replacement....... If you can get stock. We have 30 on back order, stock arriving in September, depending on the variant

Yup, just buy a new one.

• 1 month later...

Right o'wise people of leHub.

The wife working from home is now gatvol of loadshedding whilst she is trying to work. I has been instructed to investigate Inverter trolleys to keep laptop and wifi going.

A colleague of hers from work forwarded a price list and contact details of someone she used when she bought her inverter. I think the guy got electrocuted and is lying in the corner somewhere as numerous calls and emails are un-answered.

So point me in the right direction of where to buy in Gauteng please.

Oh, and the monster-in-law has jumped on the bandwagon and decided she cant do without TV for a few hours so she also wants one.  She was talking about wanting to boil a kettle too but I quickly told her to check her schedule and fill a flask before the power goes out.

While the inverter trolley is the easiest in terms of it being "plug and play" the cost doesn't make any sense to me. 

Take the following as an example:

https://leroymerlin.co.za/trolley-inverter-ellies-system-1440w-2400va-81454336

For not that much much more, a 3kVA inverter, with 2x 100Ah batteries can be purchased and installed directly into your DB. This will allow you to run your lights and many plugs for your home during load shedding. Now suddenly, you have lights, wifi, tv and you can charge your phone.

3 minutes ago, Schnavel said:

While the inverter trolley is the easiest in terms of it being "plug and play" the cost doesn't make any sense to me. 

Take the following as an example:

https://leroymerlin.co.za/trolley-inverter-ellies-system-1440w-2400va-81454336

For not that much much more, a 3kVA inverter, with 2x 100Ah batteries can be purchased and installed directly into your DB. This will allow you to run your lights and many plugs for your home during load shedding. Now suddenly, you have lights, wifi, tv and you can charge your phone.

how much is not much more ? and point me in that direction

ok just checked the link, thats a bit of a crazy price compared to what the Mrs has sent me.

Edited by ouzo

Just now, ouzo said:

how much is not much more ? and point me in that direction

Here is an example: https://www.solarwaysuppliers.co.za/product/3kw-must-super-lite-back-up-pack/

It's presently out of stock, unless you live in Cape Town. You would still need to factor in installation (assuming you cannot install it yourself), but that shouldn't cost too much.

Unfortunately, as many people will mention, this is potentially a never ending money pit. If you start with the 3kW unit listed above, it will cover the basics such as lights, wifi etc. during load shedding. However, when the wife wants a hot cup of tea, you are going to run into a problem - then more money needs to be spent upgrading the system.

The best advise I can give, is to make sure of your exact requirements from the start. If you are purely wanting a small system in order to provide some lights and wifi, this system will work perfectly. If you want to run tv's, kettles etc. you will need to spend the money and get a bigger system.

Send me a PM if you would like to discuss further.

Ps. I don't work for Solar Way Suppliers, nor is it necessarily the best purchase available. However, it is presently the cheapest option.

10 minutes ago, Schnavel said:

Here is an example: https://www.solarwaysuppliers.co.za/product/3kw-must-super-lite-back-up-pack/

It's presently out of stock, unless you live in Cape Town. You would still need to factor in installation (assuming you cannot install it yourself), but that shouldn't cost too much.

Unfortunately, as many people will mention, this is potentially a never ending money pit. If you start with the 3kW unit listed above, it will cover the basics such as lights, wifi etc. during load shedding. However, when the wife wants a hot cup of tea, you are going to run into a problem - then more money needs to be spent upgrading the system.

The best advise I can give, is to make sure of your exact requirements from the start. If you are purely wanting a small system in order to provide some lights and wifi, this system will work perfectly. If you want to run tv's, kettles etc. you will need to spend the money and get a bigger system.

Send me a PM if you would like to discuss further.

Ps. I don't work for Solar Way Suppliers, nor is it necessarily the best purchase available. However, it is presently the cheapest option.

Thanks. 

The cup-a-tea scenario is not to much of a problem, having a gas stove/oven combo has cooking covered.

A few lights here and there will be great, but not completely necessary as we have a few globes around with back batteries in them. The TV though I could see being a thing, but research shows that will use very similar power to a laptop charger so not a biggy. But even if it is a problem, if the wifi is up and laptop battery has charge its ok.

For us right now priority is the wifes work, so laptop, screen, fibre and wifi.

The MIL though wants her TV to run, and I'll make sure to limit her to the LCD in her bedroom as her lounge TV is a big as CRT thing.

Ouzo - pick a budget then go shop for best bang for buck, otherwise you'll be chasing the tail down the rabbit hole and getting mad with the MIL

Or, get her to chip in a few bob to cover her happiness... 😉

edit: and once you have the inverter system you want, you need to get the family to change their habits of electricity consumption - especially during the dark times (example, Mommy needs to make sure the laptop/phones etc is charged for the shedding period - you dont want the inverter to charge stuff and run them. Thats more consumption) 

Edited by 117

36 minutes ago, TheoG said:

All I'm gonna say is LiFePO4 batteries is THE ****, I will never waist my time with any kind of Pb Acid batteries again .... 🙈🤪

Agree 10 000%.

I bit the bullet in 2021 and got a 5kW inverter, 7kWh  LiFePo batteries, solar panels, all wired into the DB properly. LiFePo batteries was 50% of the total system cost, but worth every sent. 

Cry once when installing(due to cost) , reap the benefits for LONG afterwards. 

We had the property valuator from FNB over recently. He reckons a proper installed solar system can add between 10% and 15% to the value of the property. So take that into consideration when deciding on what you want to do. Things at Eskom are going to get worse before/if it gets better.

Why spend R15k now on a trolley, if you are going to spend much more on a bigger system in the near future. Rather then buy the right inverter and batteries first, and expand later. 

Edited by Vetplant

4 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Agree 10 000%.

I bit the bullet in 2021 and got a 5kW inverter, 7kWh  LiFePo batteries, solar panels, all wired into the DB properly. LiFePo batteries was 50% of the total system cost, but worth every sent. 

Cry once when installing(due to cost) , reap the benefits for LONG afterwards. 

We had the property valuator from FNB over recently. He reckons a proper installed solar system can add between 10% and 15% to the value of the property. So take that into consideration when deciding on what you want to do. Things at Eskom are going to get worse before/if it gets better.

Why spend R15k now on a trolley, if you are going to spend much more on a bigger system in the near future. Rather then buy the right inverter and batteries first, and expand later. 

Just note the LiFePo batteries Vs Lead Acid.  
Lead Acid should be guaranteed for 1000 charge cycles whereas Lead Acid is 1000. 

Price difference should justify the LiFePo, but only just. But everything depends on the load and how many times they are discharged below 50%. Anyway I have a fleet of 17 Lead Acid installs that are between 1 and 2 years old and they have had no degredation in life as yet. BUT, they are running well within the design spec.

Also why spend R 15K  Contact me if you are looking for a decent price on these.