Ironman & Ironman70.3 PE, South Africa 2023

ScottCM

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

Wow the ironman thread is still on page 1 the day before the race?

Drop in interest just here or have the general community just done the sums and realized how much of a rip off this event is?

Just like Runners with a Cycling Problem.  The format changes done by bikehub have pushed many to look elsewhere as well as quite a lot of long standing cycling members.

Nothing to do with price or what you might consider a rip-off.  If you want to use such analogy, pretty much anyone who buys a new bike should realize how much they are being ripped off.

As for interest, perhaps go to the Ironman relevant event page, click on athlete and then click on the start list and see how many are still happy to pay. Pretty much sold out!!

A bit narrow minded to consider that most triathletes sit on the bikehub and as such there being no interest in the thread is a sign of the times.

I re-iterate that for many years the Runners with a Cycling Problem was the top thread by posts, now it is nowhere to be seen.  Life moves on interests go elsewhere, just because it is no longer on the bikehub, does not mean there is not interest.

Edited by shaper

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

is there a link ?

Mate of mine is doing the half. Arrived in PE yesterday.

download the IM Tracker app from your store, IOS/Google and then you will be able to see the event list, and once opened you can search for your mate and will get realtime tracking as he passes the various timing mats 

5 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

is there a link ?

Mate of mine is doing the half. Arrived in PE yesterday.

Download the "Ironman tracker app".

Enter the participant race number ... and follow.

We normally follow two friends.

Play with the app, it has various layers .... seriously addictive if you like numbers  ..

Start delayed by 30 minutes due to lightning.

Photos and videos shows what looks like calm waters for the swim.  Holding thumbs it is a good swim 👍

13 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Download the "Ironman tracker app".

Enter the participant race number ... and follow.

We normally follow two friends.

Play with the app, it has various layers .... seriously addictive if you like numbers  ..

Thanks. Downloaded after shaper recommended. 

35 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Pro.men swim started.

Swim shortened

Shortened due to lightning?

Friends first full.

17 hours ago, shaper said:

Just like Runners with a Cycling Problem.  The format changes done by bikehub have pushed many to look elsewhere as well as quite a lot of long standing cycling members.

Nothing to do with price or what you might consider a rip-off.  If you want to use such analogy, pretty much anyone who buys a new bike should realize how much they are being ripped off.

As for interest, perhaps go to the Ironman relevant event page, click on athlete and then click on the start list and see how many are still happy to pay. Pretty much sold out!!

A bit narrow minded to consider that most triathletes sit on the bikehub and as such there being no interest in the thread is a sign of the times.

I re-iterate that for many years the Runners with a Cycling Problem was the top thread by posts, now it is nowhere to be seen.  Life moves on interests go elsewhere, just because it is no longer on the bikehub, does not mean there is not interest.

My take on Ironman/long distance triathlon:

The Ironman brand attracts many newbies/first comers.

Skipping sprint, Olympic distance and enter at 70.3 or full.

Max three races and then they “retire” from Ironman just due to the hours required to prepare.

17 hours ago, shaper said:

Copy that, so it's just here that the interest has waned. Understood loud and clear

46 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Shortened due to lightning?

Friends first full.

Ladies did a 900m swim.  Conditions must be rough ... her pace was slower than her typical open water sessions.

Now raining.

Thankfully no wind

45 minutes ago, DJuice said:

My take on Ironman/long distance triathlon:

The Ironman brand attracts many newbies/first comers.

Skipping sprint, Olympic distance and enter at 70.3 or full.

Max three races and then they “retire” from Ironman just due to the hours required to prepare.

She took 18 months to prepare for her first full Ironman, in 2018.  Did well.

Did other events in 2019, Trans Baviaans, etc.

All prepped, booked and paid for 2020 .... to see all that prep get locked down.

2022 she had a bug the week leading up to the event .... still completed it in a decent time.  But it was painful ... cramps, nausia, blistered feet ....

2022 she did her first Comrades, very well 👍

End 2022 she did the Mosselbay 1/2 Ironman .... everything came together and she finished top 1/3rd overall.

So in many ways the full Ironman is unfinished business ....

It certainly takes a LOT from your life to properly prepare for these events.

5:55 in the sea to get open water experience.  9:00 back in office.....

I can fully understand why people stop after 3 or 4 events ....

My guess .... she will keep doing the 1/2 for a few more years.

32 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Copy that, so it's just here that the interest has waned. Understood loud and clear

From my small town, our club has around 130 members. One year starting 36 athletes at Ironman, this year 1…first attempt for full, has done on 70.3 in Mosselbay. 

Dont underestimate the effect of the uncertainty about the water quality and if the swim was even going to go ahead ....

The "weekend event cost" is small compared to the preparations costs .... difficult to commit to that with all the uncertainty

This dot-watching is hard work ... 😋

Our friend is steadily moving up the field.  Was 10th in her age group half way through the cycling.

Each timing mat she is moving up ....

Now in 4th, and chipping away at the gap to 3rd ...