E Bike upgrades

FirstV8

I am firmly in the analogue bike camp when it comes to trails, so I might be wrong, but this idea that de-restricting the e-bikes makes them dangerous on the trails is a step to far for me to fathom. Unless you are suggesting some “rich old man” is posing a danger to himself and others by going too fast up hill over some slightly techy stuff, and I find that hard to buy.

The “dangerous” parts of trails tends to be on the downhill pointing bits generally, where gravity will allow you to accelerate an analogue or digital bike way beyond your abilities, regardless of wether the e-bike is chipped. The speed restrictions on ebikes is to do with road safety in congested cities where pathways are shared with pedestrians and so on. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

I speak for myself, but unlocking the speed limiter is going to start causing a whole lot of problems. 

I love my ebikes and often I do feel the need for it to go faster especially when im trying to clear certain jumps, but in reality the 32km for SA is fast enough for most trail riding. 

If you want to ebike market to grow... and get some acceptence into an already huge Anti-Ebike cycling community. (so many haters out there and on this forum) the last think you want to do is start derestricting them. (Also the risk of banning them from cycling trails)

All it takes is one incident on a de-restricred bike and all ebikers will be shoved into that category.

Just like one Road Cyclist Doper = all road cyclist as dopers.... 

Note - This is for people riding off road , for people riding on the road, chip away ,32km cut off is way to low

To add into my previous post, I would love to know what sort of jumps you are trying to clear where the 32km/h restriction on your e-bike becomes a limiting factor? Surely this would have to be some pretty big feature on a flow line or something, and being able to “flow” should allow you to carry enough speed, with very little pedalling needed. 

12 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

I am firmly in the analogue bike camp when it comes to trails, so I might be wrong, but this idea that de-restricting the e-bikes makes them dangerous on the trails is a step to far for me to fathom. Unless you are suggesting some “rich old man” is posing a danger to himself and others by going too fast up hill over some slightly techy stuff, and I find that hard to buy.

The “dangerous” parts of trails tends to be on the downhill pointing bits generally, where gravity will allow you to accelerate an analogue or digital bike way beyond your abilities, regardless of wether the e-bike is chipped. The speed restrictions on ebikes is to do with road safety in congested cities where pathways are shared with pedestrians and so on. 

Sorry bru but they definitely are dangerous on trails if derestricted. If you can in theory keep pedalling and getting a boost at whatever speed, then you have the potential to get seriously hurt. I have seen a lot of people try to use speed to make up for lack of skill on a jump or drop. Often times they eat ****. Hard. 

Now imagine someone with little skill has the ability to easily increase speed for a feature... an easy way to get into trouble IMHO

Also saying they pose no danger uphill is just stupid. I am saying that because I have been hit by an out of control rich old man who was going way too fast into a techy climb, lost control and hit me. So I am speaking from a place of fact.

Edited by MTBRIDER1234

5 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

To add into my previous post, I would love to know what sort of jumps you are trying to clear where the 32km/h restriction on your e-bike becomes a limiting factor? Surely this would have to be some pretty big feature on a flow line or something, and being able to “flow” should allow you to carry enough speed, with very little pedalling needed. 

I have done many jumps where you need to go over 32 km/h to clear them. They are plenty common on downhill tracks.

This being said, he should be able to pedal somewhat normally even with no motor assistance, as gravity is doing a lot of the work and you just need to get a bit extra speed.

Also not all flow trails are built equal. I have ridden some that there is no need to pedal and others that are very pedally, flow trail is a pretty loose term.

5 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I have done many jumps where you need to go over 32 km/h to clear them. They are plenty common on downhill tracks.

This being said, he should be able to pedal somewhat normally even with no motor assistance, as gravity is doing a lot of the work and you just need to get a bit extra speed.

Also not all flow trails are built equal. I have ridden some that there is no need to pedal and others that are very pedally, flow trail is a pretty loose term.

Yes, but my point is if you are hitting features of that size/nature, the 32km/h limit of the ebike should not be what is holding you back. You can still pedal like normal once you hit the limiter, and someone hitting jumps that size is definitely able bodied enough to handle that level of exertion for a few pedal strokes to get your speed up for the jump.

13 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

Yes, but my point is if you are hitting features of that size/nature, the 32km/h limit of the ebike should not be what is holding you back. You can still pedal like normal once you hit the limiter, and someone hitting jumps that size is definitely able bodied enough to handle that level of exertion for a few pedal strokes to get your speed up for the jump.

I absolutely agree 100%. I think you have a great point and I am also confused as to why is is even a problem having the limiter when riding trails because like you said, if you can ride those trails, you probably don't need and E bike and you definitely are able to put down a few unaided pedal strokes - the rest of us do it for an entire ride haha

Having had a ebike (MTB) for about 6 months I cannot see the attraction of de-restricting (at some cost!) unless one rides undulating gravel roads or surfaced roads. For me, if I needed to pedal to clear jumps at more than 32 kph I would consider a dirt bike. As an upgrade I would like a bigger battery though.

I had my daughters bike de restricted by echo plus, it is a gravel bike that is used 90% of the time on tar. She rides with myself and her brother mostly in the cradle where she needs a bit extra to keep up.We ride at a conservative 26-28 km per hour and she is good for 22 km per hr but with the help of her ebike she can now ride with us as a family mostly in eco mode where a battery lasts about 85 km. The best money ever spent and to add David’s service at echo plus nothing short of amazing.

On 8/4/2022 at 7:06 AM, NotSoBigBen said:

Stil bek is heel bek 😋

https://echo101-plus.com/product/specialized-levo-sl-creo-lite-unlocker-chip/

I'm quite surprised how "openly" this is advertised. Not getting into the debate of whether it is safe or not, there are legal consequences to doing this operation that seem to be totally ignored. I assume the bike manufacturers are not sitting back quietly here.

31 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

https://echo101-plus.com/product/specialized-levo-sl-creo-lite-unlocker-chip/

I'm quite surprised how "openly" this is advertised. Not getting into the debate of whether it is safe or not, there are legal consequences to doing this operation that seem to be totally ignored. I assume the bike manufacturers are not sitting back quietly here.

Bit like cars, all warranties, all liabilities all disappear when you fiddle with a safety governor. So I highly doubt the manufacturers mind too much

Go drive in UAE, all the cars have like a reverse beeper as soon as you go over 120km/h it beeps on and on untill you slow down again. Can you imagine how much money you would make in sa disconnecting those beepers.

15 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Many people who ride E-bikes are not very experienced riders

crazy speeds that their skills can't cope with.

Also for jumps us analogue bike riders don't need a motor, so you E-bikers don't (especially at trail speed

Don't all of the above in the same measure apply to unskilled riders regardless of a normal bike or an e bike

I'm not sure why only the e bike riders are too blame

Any and all unskilled riders on trails can cause issues

Just a thought, at first e-bikes were needed so that those unfit or otherwise unable to keep up could ride with friends and/or family at least that is the premise from which most argue ... now even that's too slow so a performance chip upgrade is necessary.

Any 'analogue' (that is just such a stupid description of a bike) bike riders ever think to slow down a bit to accommodated them? Or would that be too much to do to have them ride with you ... with or without a 'hot' e-bike?

Every now and then I'm so happy that I'm a loner when it comes to riding a bike 🤪

Everyone going on about chipping E-Bikes boohoohoo

no chirps about the jong laaitjies with absolutely no road or driving sense, chipping their GTI's and Beemers and dragging or popping donuts on public roads.

E-bike haters need to get over themselves - They here! more and more will be seen on the trails in the future - They have motors they will be chipped, its what a lot of owners do on any motorized vehicle.

I'll shut the door on my way out

19 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Everyone going on about chipping E-Bikes boohoohoo

no chirps about the jong laaitjies with absolutely no road or driving sense, chipping their GTI's and Beemers and dragging or popping donuts on public roads.

E-bike haters need to get over themselves - They here! more and more will be seen on the trails in the future - They have motors they will be chipped, its what a lot of owners do on any motorized vehicle.

I'll shut the door on my way out

"motorized vehicle" That says it all. 

35 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Just a thought, at first e-bikes were needed so that those unfit or otherwise unable to keep up could ride with friends and/or family at least that is the premise from which most argue ... now even that's too slow so a performance chip upgrade is necessary.

Any 'analogue' (that is just such a stupid description of a bike) bike riders ever think to slow down a bit to accommodated them? Or would that be too much to do to have them ride with you ... with or without a 'hot' e-bike?

Every now and then I'm so happy that I'm a loner when it comes to riding a bike 🤪

and riding slower is actually good for your polarised training. Most of us are still riding to fast when we are trying to do recovery rides or easy days.