Who is the GOAT mountainbiker (Male)

esCape-ist

Who is the ultimate MTB GOAT  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the (in your opinion) the greatest male MTBer of all time?

• Hans Rey
    • Greg Minnaar
    • Nino Schurter
    • Steve Peat
    • Gary Fisher
    • John Tomac
    • Julien Absolon
    • Sam Hill
    • Gee Atherton
    • Danny Macaskill

1 hour ago, corrie.kuilder said:

I second that Tom Richie

There needs to be two seconds, so I’ll add that second second.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Frosty said:

There needs to be two seconds, so I’ll add that second second.

Unfortunately, I realised too late that I cant edit the poll. once its set up, its fixed, unfrotuantely.

39 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

That crazy truck mechanic went 112MPH on a bicycle not so long ago!

That crazy truck mechanic can pedal a bike. He was at the 2014 Trans Hajar mtb stage race and was pretty quick.

52 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Question.

Who is the ORIGINAL ACTUAL GOAT

Who is the first person referred to by the sports media as THE GOAT? Irrespective of the sport they practice. It feels like a phrase the American sports media would coin so I'm guessing it's someone like Michael Jordan.

The first person I've heard referred to as the GOAT is Ricky Carmichael.

Interesting question actually, had to google it. It is supposedly actually originating from Mohammed Ali.

I am however 100% like you- someone says the goat and it is Carmichael that springs to mind every time.

Also you can't have a GOAT in team sports, pointless exercise. Much like comparing DH, XC and freeride in one go.

All of these riders are extremely good in their own (but only one) discipline. But no one will ever come close to what John Tomac achieved over multiple disciplines.

Some downhill guys of previous eras were very good in BMX as well, but the focus has shifted towards being the best in one discipline - you have to to be the best nowadays. 

Tomac gets my vote!

By any objective measure Nicolas Vouilloz deserves to be on this list ahead of Peaty, Gee and Sam Hill. And arguably ahead of Greg. Greg has more World cups but Nico has 10 rainbow jerseys.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

3 hours ago, esCape-ist said:

So one “seconding” for Semunuk

I will second Semanuk.
Will then change my vote if he is listed. For now my vote goes to Schurter, mountain biking to me is XC, there is then trail, enduro, downhill, road, etc.
If we blur the lines, and Semenuk is added, then I would see it as who is the best period. The criteria I would us is "can the others do what Semenuk can do", no. "Could he do what they do", I believe so given the will and time and practice.........

Fun poll but too vague. Most will vote local and go for Mr Min. 
Perhaps you should add Burry, see where that goes........

Nino for me.

Besides the fact he has been utterly unbeatable for ten years and the numerous titles he is the omly person on the list capable of winning all 4 diciplines.  He could eaily win XC a Marathon , his Enduro skills are next level and im pretty sure he aint shabby on a 200mm DH rig.

His skills, fitness and vesatility hard to beat

16 minutes ago, Stevief said:

Nino for me.

Besides the fact he has been utterly unbeatable for ten years and the numerous titles he is the omly person on the list capable of winning all 4 diciplines.  He could eaily win XC a Marathon , his Enduro skills are next level and im pretty sure he aint shabby on a 200mm DH rig.

His skills, fitness and vesatility hard to beat

Nino is very impressive, but no way he could win enduro or DH. Those racers have next level skill and massive balls to match. Granted, Nino is crazy fast and is one of the best, but for me, Minaar takes the crown. He is 40 and still remains stupid fast and highly competitive.

2 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Nino is very impressive, but no way he could win enduro or DH. Those racers have next level skill and massive balls to match. Granted, Nino is crazy fast and is one of the best, but for me, Minaar takes the crown. He is 40 and still remains stupid fast and highly competitive.

And having ridden on more than one multi day stage race before where he was also taking part, I'm pretty sure Greg would be competitive in XC as well if he put his mind to it. 

Edited by esCape-ist

So much to unpack here...

1. What is meant by MTB rider? Freeride, Downhill, Slopestyle, XCO, XCM...
  2. What is meant by greatest? Most wins/medals, longest career, biggest kahunas, technical skill...

I guess the very nature of a poll means it's subjective and in my opinion Freeride trumps XCM and technical skill combined with big kahunas trumps medals and wins.

So considering the above I'm gonna have to say the GOAT MTB rider is...

*drum roll*

Well, Of Course I Know Him. He's Me. | Know Your Meme

Just kidding, I'd say Brandon Semenuk.

Insane technical skill, big kahuna's (think Rampage), creative, pretty lengthy pro career already (and he's only 31 and still going).

That said, he's probably not my favourite rider. Sure I like him, and think he's great, but "favourite" brings even more subjective elements into the mix like personality, likeability, flair etc.

But hey, that's just my opinion, man... - Big Lebowski | Meme Generator

Edited by patches