Cracked rim

Milkinator

Hi guys, I just purchased this titan but I only noticed afterwards that the rim has a crack/tear... its holding preassure and was fine on a ride... is this something I can just ride on? Looks like the previous owner used some sort of sealant.

20220821_140623.jpg

20220821_140629.jpg

8 minutes ago, Alouette3 said:

I'd replace. Rim failure could land you at the dentist and the hospital

Yip, rims are cheap compared to the damage that a broken rim could cause to your bike (broken derailleur, written off tire, cracked carbon frame etc.)

It should probably cost you about 1.5-3K for a replacement aluminium rim including labour (and spokes + nipples if needed, hence the 3K)

1 minute ago, Milkinator said:

Thanks guys.  I bought the bike from "the bike vendor" and they apparently have 30 warranty so hoping he will replace it

If it didn't crack when you were riding it, then it isn't cool for him to sell it like that. Hopefully if you received it as pictured, it was an honest mistake and he will rectify it.

• 2 weeks later...

New rim day for sure.

If that crack propagates, the tyre could leave the rim in a hurry. Best case scenario it makes a sealant mess.
Worst case it causes a crash.

Neither option is very appealing.

On 8/22/2022 at 8:08 PM, MTBRIDER1234 said:

If it didn't crack when you were riding it, then it isn't cool for him to sell it like that. Hopefully if you received it as pictured, it was an honest mistake and he will rectify it.

Don't worry, the resellers on here are very professional and thoroughly check every bike, what's what the massive markup is for! 

• 1 year later...
On 9/3/2022 at 11:54 AM, Steady Spin said:

The the vendor come to the party to replace the rim?

Hi guys,

Only saw this now, we sure came to the party, Michael sent a WhatsApp after getting some input on here, we got the rim, replaced it totally free of charge as part of our 30 Day Mechanical Satisfaction included with every single bike, drove to Michael from Pretoria to Johannesburg, 140KM round trip, met up at 19:30 close to his house and hand delivered his newly rebuilt wheel, free of charge.