Cairo to Cape Town

I was listening to 702 this morning on the way to the airport,  they were interviewing Tegan Phillips who is doing a record attempt at the Cairo to Cape Town route. 

I believe she is trying to better the current record of 42 days 

I guess it makes our discussions on TB, Freedom challenge,  RTR,  Munga etc as easier tasks than the one she has ahead of her

www.teganphillips.com I believe is her website to get more info and follow 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes this has been in the making for about a year now. Shes aiming to be the first woman to attempt the record. When she finishes it will either be in record breaking time overall or a woman's record. Either way her attempt is a big win for woman's cycling. But before she tackles the record she needs to get the right bike. (which I hope she's acquired in the USA).

Follow her on Instagram. Oh and she rights awesome comics too

I would love to do something like that. Perhaps when I retire. There is an organized cycle tour, the Tour d'Afrique. The last time i looked it cost about $10 000 and I see the 2024 trip is already booked out

17 minutes ago, Starchboy said:

I would love to do something like that. Perhaps when I retire. There is an organized cycle tour, the Tour d'Afrique. The last time i looked it cost about $10 000 and I see the 2024 trip is already booked out

by the time I get there, I'll be too knackered. Best I'll be able to do it get my walker around the block.

for now, I'll have to enjoy it vicariously through someone else's efforts

I see a large portion of the budget is on documenting it, so hopefully that will become available. Would definitely pay to watch this

8 hours ago, 117 said:

I was listening to 702 this morning on the way to the airport,  they were interviewing Tegan Phillips who is doing a record attempt at the Cairo to Cape Town route. 

I believe she is trying to better the current record of 42 days 

I guess it makes our discussions on TB, Freedom challenge,  RTR,  Munga etc as easier tasks than the one she has ahead of her

www.teganphillips.com I believe is her website to get more info and follow 

this will bring you up to speed

https://www.keepingitwild.co.za/episodes/drawing-inspiration-through-adventure-with-tegan-phillips

As to the record, how I understood it, basically lots of women have ridden the route before but no one has actually done the homework to register an official time. So no one really knows what the fastest female time has been, because no one has tried to be the fastest female.

AFAIK this is still the men's record (broke mark beaumont's solo record set a few months earlier)

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/routes-and-rides/the-fastest-human-powered-crossing-of-africa-is-done-and-dusted/#:~:text=38 days later.,in a world record time.&text=Last week%2C South African Mark,12 hours and 16 minutes.

• 1 month later...

Tegan will be starting on 17th October, next Monday.  She is in Egypt already.

She has to complete it in under 70 days for Guinness to consider it a World Record.

28 minutes ago, tux26 said:

She has to complete it in under 70 days for Guinness to consider it a World Record.

I have no doubt she'll do it. but why 70 days? Beaumont did it in ~41 days but I can't seem to find a ladies record.

2 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

I have no doubt she'll do it. but why 70 days? Beaumont did it in ~41 days but I can't seem to find a ladies record.

I am sure the target isn't 70. But for it to be Guinessed, it needs to be sub-70, as 40 would be.

I think it's needs to be under 70 days to be recorded as a women's record. I could be wrong though 

15 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

There is no women's record.  That is why she is doing it.

"Because // Representation matters //
In sport, especially cycling, women are underrepresented and it slows down our progress in getting new women into the sport. Because it’s harder to do something if you don’t see people you can relate to also doing it.
"

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ch1hL1WqQAN/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

70 days is the time that Guinness gave her;  I don't know how they came up with that; maybe about 150km per day

She plans to do 200 - 300km a day, so i suppose she wants to beat 54 days.

33 minutes ago, tux26 said:

There is no women's record.  That is why she is doing it.

"Because // Representation matters //
In sport, especially cycling, women are underrepresented and it slows down our progress in getting new women into the sport. Because it’s harder to do something if you don’t see people you can relate to also doing it.
"

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ch1hL1WqQAN/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

70 days is the time that Guinness gave her;  I don't know how they came up with that; maybe about 150km per day

She plans to do 200 - 300km a day, so i suppose she wants to beat 54 days.

surely just completing will be the record, seeing as she'll be first lady? perhaps they put that there to keep her honest?

Regardless, it seems she'll have a great festive season on the bike!

3 hours ago, tux26 said:

I have been watching this build-up with interest, so am very keen to see the whole journey unfold.
What an adventure!

Also keen to see more about her bike.
I see that its a (titanium) Sling. Not sure if its a Tagati.
Looks awesome

On 10/12/2022 at 5:18 PM, splat said:

I have been watching this build-up with interest, so am very keen to see the whole journey unfold.
What an adventure!

Also keen to see more about her bike.
I see that its a (titanium) Sling. Not sure if its a Tagati.
Looks awesome

It’s a Tagati kitted out with SRAM force axs. She has plenty spares and different wheels for different conditions. She worked with Reece at Sciemce to sport on her training and bike setup. She has delayed her start a few days to allow the one support vehicle to get to the northern Ethiopian border. 
many one getting on board with this adventure is going to have a great story to tell. Tegan is a great personality. 
for ciovita it will put them beyond Epic 

for Toyota they have great material to continue their Africa is fun theme. Absolute coup for them.