Any online cycling coaches

DMid

We've been zwifting regularly since the start of covid and adding weekday training to the weekend warrior routine has been really beneficial. 

My son is now at the point where some proper coaching is needed. 

Does anyone have experience using online coaches and zwift/ training peaks programs together with some mentoring.  I'm assuming there are coaches out there.   Ideally it would be nice to do this with training road rides on weekends. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

really depends on what your overall aspirations or objectives are coupled with what you're prepared to spend to achieve them.

Science to Sport comes to  mind  - a bit on the pricier side, I would look up Kate Slegrova though- she has numerous packages that caters for varying levels of input required.

I have never been a fan of the generic programs - while they may work for some - I believe you need a bit of knowledge to navigate them successfully - they also don't allow for feedback or the required tweaks based on actual experience.

The fact that you're looking for one is great though - will only benefit your cycling and remove a lot of the "wasted mileage"

1 hour ago, DMid said:

We've been zwifting regularly since the start of covid and adding weekday training to the weekend warrior routine has been really beneficial. 

My son is now at the point where some proper coaching is needed. 

Does anyone have experience using online coaches and zwift/ training peaks programs together with some mentoring.  I'm assuming there are coaches out there.   Ideally it would be nice to do this with training road rides on weekends. 

1 hour ago, throttles said:

Will be following this..

Keen to start with a "Program" + Coach as well.

Check your PMs, I’ve sent both of you a message.

• 2 months later...

CP van Wyk (pro MTBer) also does online coaching. I consider him a very approachable and knowledgeable person, coaching from starters to more serious riders

Both my kids are training under Andrew Hill. His cautious approach over the years has yielded great results. Kids were around 12 years old when they started with him. He started slow with them, introducing structured training without the volume. Now at 17 my daughters volume is up significantly and fortunately the motivation is still there. One has to be cautious not to go too hard too soon, kids need to develop physically and mentally before they push hard.  

Can highly recommend Jarred Salzwedel. He's based in the UK now but works with clients across the world. Drop him a message jarred@cycledynamiccoaching.com.

A lot about a coach is also how you get along/how their style works for you. Much the same way some kids get better results under certain teachers/teaching styles. Some people need softer encouraging coaches, others need someone blankly holding them accountable and being a little harsh. I have had a few coaches and when you find one that works with your style and aligns with your inputs you do get the results. Beyond what a parent or zwift program will do. You don't necessarily have to like your coach. Remember at times they need to hurt you and you will swear at them. But you still need to be able to communicate easily and comfortably with them so you can align goals and outcomes.

Also be aware of 'fly by nighters'. 2020 turned a lot of people into 'certified coaches' through online courses. I have friends who fall into that category and I would rather my kid chose another sport than let them be coached by these types...

23 minutes ago, dave303e said:

A lot about a coach is also how you get along/how their style works for you. Much the same way some kids get better results under certain teachers/teaching styles. Some people need softer encouraging coaches, others need someone blankly holding them accountable and being a little harsh. I have had a few coaches and when you find one that works with your style and aligns with your inputs you do get the results. Beyond what a parent or zwift program will do. You don't necessarily have to like your coach. Remember at times they need to hurt you and you will swear at them. But you still need to be able to communicate easily and comfortably with them so you can align goals and outcomes.

Also be aware of 'fly by nighters'. 2020 turned a lot of people into 'certified coaches' through online courses. I have friends who fall into that category and I would rather my kid chose another sport than let them be coached by these types...

Yes be very careful. If a “coach” has not achieved any results through practising what they preach then I am very sceptical of their coaching ability.

coaching is a lot more than drawing up some workouts. Monitoring fatigue, and separating out the day to day influences of performance from the training induced influences takes time and a relationship needs to be built for any coaching to be effective. Someone sitting in another country isn’t go to know you from a bar of soap , can’t hop on a bicycle and go for a ride with you and won’t have any real understanding of your daily grind other than what you tell them among a 100 other people they’re getting similar information from .

personally I’d rather get someone local that I can link in easily with who has a greater interest in your success because it’s personal to them.

31 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

personally I’d rather get someone local that I can link in easily with who has a greater interest in your success because it’s personal to them.

Makes sense... Also take in account that if you aren't a pro (meaning you have a job, family commitments etc..) it is very hard to follow a plan set weeks in advance, which can cause frustration, make you feel like  you "have to" do this or that, or even cause trouble at home, etc etc. Also if your coach never asks feedback on how the races went and how you lost them, the workouts they give you won't necessarily help you work on your short-commings.

Never been happier or performed better than since I started self-coaching, I set my plan 2 months in advance, to give me a rough idea of volume/intensity, then I almost adjust on day to day basis depending on what life throws at me trying to comply the best I can. So far so good.

4 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Makes sense... Also take in account that if you aren't a pro (meaning you have a job, family commitments etc..) it is very hard to follow a plan set weeks in advance, which can cause frustration, make you feel like  you "have to" do this or that, or even cause trouble at home, etc etc. Also if your coach never asks feedback on how the races went and how you lost them, the workouts they give you won't necessarily help you work on your short-commings.

Never been happier or performed better than since I started self-coaching, I set my plan 2 months in advance, to give me a rough idea of volume/intensity, then I almost adjust on day to day basis depending on what life throws at me trying to comply the best I can. So far so good.

Ditto, I’m self taught . Reading , courses , knowing science helps, and of course my results and failures have taught me how to adapt for me. I’ve applied that to others and they got their results. All because the relationship was personal. Workouts can be set in advance but if not adaptable the coach and client just chase their tails in circles

6 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

If a “coach” has not achieved any results through practising what they preach then I am very sceptical of their coaching ability.

What would you define as "results"?

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

What would you define as "results"?

Used the system they advocate and achieved measurable and  competitive performances. A coach cannot theorise performance, a coach has to understand, inspire , motivate and demonstrate how their methodology works either through themselves or through others who have achieved their goals. 
there’s too many okes saying do this and do that without ever having done anything or achieved their own sporting goals.

there are naturally different levels of performance and one has to understand where you are and where you wan to be. 

a rudimentary example ; would you trust a coach to train you for a sun 3 Argust if they have not even ridden 50km themselves?