bike computer recommendations

Kingofthemountains

I just started exploring new routes on strava but navigating is a bit tricky as I don't want to mount my phone. So I don't know which computer to buy between Garmin 530 and the wahoo in the same category. 

And also can I hear from people who use strava routes to map out their rides and what paired device they use. thanx

Edited by Kingofthemountains

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Kingofthemountains said:

And also can I hear from people who use strava routes to map out their rides and what paired device they use. thanx

I use a Garmin Instinct 2 watch (and sync maps onto it from Strava via Garmin connect) and it doesn't display a map but gives notifications 100m out before a turn and a count down of meters until you take the turn.

But if you want to see a graphical map this wont work for you.

now a days Wahoo and Garmin both great options and you basically cannot go wrong with either.

If you already have a Garmin device, then the answer is easy - any of their other devices will just work with what you already have.

If you don't, then it's down to personal preference or what's on special.

DC Rainmaker will help you make up your mind if you're on the fence.

I've had two 530s, none were any good at navigation on pre-made routes (via strava though, haven't tried making routes on garmin connect) and the 2nd one just couldn't make it's own route (the back to start feature is just unable to calculate a route). In the end a 130  would have done exactly the same at a fraction of the cost.

So yes, the support is great, they do replace no questions asked most of the time, but for me it was a crappy unit after the other, both for the watch and for the 530.

I'll try the apple watch next (new one coming out next week), apparently it does HR just as good as any HR strap so that's less stuff to carry around. No more bike computer, computer holder, hr strap. Marginal gainsssss 🤣

Edited by Jbr

I use an 820 and an older 810 to follow all sorts of routes ... 

Riding and following a route is a bit of a 'practiced' art IMHO, its not like in your car with well defined roads and stops and you can't hear 'Susie', as my grandson calls her, yelling instructions and info at you. Missed many a turn off and had to go back, it did say you're off course so you know to go back

Once you get used to it though it's a great way to ride new routes! 

19 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I use an 820 and an older 810 to follow all sorts of routes ... 

Riding and following a route is a bit of a 'practiced' art IMHO, its not like in your car with well defined roads and stops and you can't hear 'Susie', as my grandson calls her, yelling instructions and info at you. Missed many a turn off and had to go back, it did say you're off course so you know to go back

Once you get used to it though it's a great way to ride new routes! 

I can't get used to the thing wanting me to follow the route the wrong way around though ;) If I planned to start my route with block house and finish it with signal hill, I do not want the garmin to tell me to head to signal hill at the begining of the ride 🤣

59 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I've had two 530s, none were any good at navigation on pre-made routes (via strava though, haven't tried making routes on garmin connect) and the 2nd one just couldn't make it's own route (the back to start feature is just unable to calculate a route). In the end a 130  would have done exactly the same at a fraction of the cost.

So yes, the support is great, they do replace no questions asked most of the time, but for me it was a crappy unit after the other, both for the watch and for the 530.

I'll try the apple watch next (new one coming out next week), apparently it does HR just as good as any HR strap so that's less stuff to carry around. No more bike computer, computer holder, hr strap. Marginal gainsssss 🤣

Basecamp is the way for creating Garmin routes. Connect and Explore are a hack.

Just now, droo said:

Basecamp is the way for creating Garmin routes. Connect and Explore are a hack.

I don't know that one actually. I find even strava pretty crap. Tried Komoot a couple of times and it seemed ok. Thanks for the suggestion I'll give that one a try next time !

24 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I can't get used to the thing wanting me to follow the route the wrong way around though ;) If I planned to start my route with block house and finish it with signal hill, I do not want the garmin to tell me to head to signal hill at the begining of the ride 🤣

Yeah this is pretty annoying. It wants the route to be followed as ridden, no creativity allowed

Basecamp is what I use for planning road trips to upload to my car GPS. The base maps are useless for MTB, but if you've got the TopoActive set on your device you can use that while you're plugged in. Tracks4Africa is also a great mapset for planning gravel rides, heaps of info on there and you can upload the route to your watch / head unit when you're done.

If I can give you any advice, DON'T get a Stages, no matter what Sean Sakho says.

They are not even good paper weights.

I have one and it is absolute junk with regards app syncing and out of use application.

It works pretty well while on the road/trail, but everything else is a fail even with a 30% pass rate

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

If I can give you any advice, DON'T get a Stages, no matter what Sean Sakho says.

They are not even good paper weights.

I have one and it is absolute junk with regards app syncing and out of use application.

It works pretty well while on the road/trail, but everything else is a fail even with a 30% pass rate

Do you have the original unit with software version 1.1.1,1?