What MTB does R35,000 buy you these days?

Steady Spin

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

I’m super impressed with the build quality and shifting performance of the Deore. It punches far above it’s weight for sure. 

Always has. You’ll find a set of deore brakes in any review putting the best mtb brakes against each other…and almost always wins best bang for buck.

24 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Always has. You’ll find a set of deore brakes in any review putting the best mtb brakes against each other…and almost always wins best bang for buck.

Looks like it is the MT-201 which gets rave reviews. 

Lots to do today. 

- Install 780mm bars
- Install dopper post (Can't seem to find the right cable guide kit so a custom plate needs to be made in my dungeon 
- Install the Vittoria Barzos
- Convert to tubeless
- Fit the clipsy pedals
- Fit cleats to the ballet shoes.

Do this x2 for both bikes so my fiance will be doing the tubeless conversions.

Edited by Steady Spin

1 hour ago, Sandro said:

Friend of mine bought one a few months ago, his came with x-fusion so maybe they changed the spec. Didn't know SX was so ***. Interesting.

The X-Fusion is actually in my opinion a much better fork than the Judy. But again I think it comes down to marketability. The average buyer would automatically assume the rock shox fork is an upgrade. If I'm not mistaken the X-Fusion was a 32mm fork, and it's really good at the price point. Judy is 30mm and really not great once they stretch it above 100mm. I rode a 130mm Judy on a loaner bike a while ago for a weekend, and it was terrible. 

image.jpeg.f7dd8fcd664647a0ad59c469dcb7274c_edit_32207756996647.jpg.56e52e09c0694606a669686445eb68ea.jpg

What be that thingymajig? Is that a peg with a plastic card to make rrrrp rrrp noises as you go down the district road? 

Jokes aside, bike looks great Steady (just get the cranks and wheel branding in the correct posi next time 😉

Many happy miles pal

11 minutes ago, 117 said:

image.jpeg.f7dd8fcd664647a0ad59c469dcb7274c_edit_32207756996647.jpg.56e52e09c0694606a669686445eb68ea.jpg

What be that thingymajig? Is that a peg with a plastic card to make rrrrp rrrp noises as you go down the district road? 

Jokes aside, bike looks great Steady (just get the cranks and wheel branding in the correct posi next time 😉

Many happy miles pal

Used to prevent the fork from touching the chainstays of the second bike when on the rack. 

Like an Imbi but at 1/10th of the price compared to Thuli.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:23 AM, Steady Spin said:

Looks like it is the MT-201 which gets rave reviews. 

Lots to do today. 

- Install 780mm bars
- Install dopper post (Can't seem to find the right cable guide kit so a custom plate needs to be made in my dungeon 
- Install the Vittoria Barzos
- Convert to tubeless
- Fit the clipsy pedals
- Fit cleats to the ballet shoes.

Do this x2 for both bikes so my fiance will be doing the tubeless conversions.

Just a heads up. It's a bloody pain routing that dropper post cable. Have done one. Take your time, walk away when you get frustrated and come back 10min later after contemplating taking up drinking and smoking.

But anyway, welcome to the Orbea family. Remember to register your bike online to activate your lifetime warranty otherwise you only get 2 years.

If she gives you any problems, take her to your local Cyclelab or CWC and they will take things further, and likely put you in touch with me 🤣.

In all honesty though, amazing bike at an amazing price, I ride an Orca M30 and had an issue with the wheels, got replacements 2 weeks later direct from Spain.

10 minutes ago, Daniel Amos said:

Just a heads up. It's a bloody pain routing that dropper post cable. Have done one. Take your time, walk away when you get frustrated and come back 10min later after contemplating taking up drinking and smoking.

But anyway, welcome to the Orbea family. Remember to register your bike online to activate your lifetime warranty otherwise you only get 2 years.

If she gives you any problems, take her to your local Cyclelab or CWC and they will take things further, and likely put you in touch with me 🤣.

In all honesty though, amazing bike at an amazing price, I ride an Orca M30 and had an issue with the wheels, got replacements 2 weeks later direct from Spain.

Thanks! 

Dropper was a breeze to install thanks to a helpful tip here about a vacuum cleaner and cotton wool. Just a bit unimpressed that no stock of the cable routing kits are being brought into the country. Both bikes have ugly open ports now where the dropper cable goes in  

Odd thing I noticed is that one bike has Orbea cranks and the other Shimano. Part shortage still very much a thing it seems.

As for taking the bikes to Cyclelab for anything…not a chance. Took delivery and my first step was to bolt check everything. Guess what? Nothing was even remotely tightened or set. Turns out the bikes never went through the workshop at all. Horrific. 

Both bikes registered online for the lifetime warranty.

7 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Both bikes have ugly open ports now where the dropper cable goes in 

Do you need some cable grommets? 

I have some which might fit. Send me a snap of the port please

1 hour ago, Steady Spin said:

63741E43-6CE8-4C35-A8F2-DEC97516E60C.png.3db86adcb43ce4ac2a7b077b4ef6ebb0.pngI need the middle one in the cable kit. 

Not sure it will fit, but look at the old Momsen Vipa open seatpost guide, perhaps a bit to long…time to get out the dremel. 

https://twowheelstrading.co.za/product/vipa-spares/frame-parts/vipa-downtube-cable-inlet-port-open/

https://twowheelstrading.co.za/product/vipa-spares/frame-parts/vipa-downtube-cable-inlet-port-black/

Edited by DJuice

11 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Thanks! 

Dropper was a breeze to install thanks to a helpful tip here about a vacuum cleaner and cotton wool. Just a bit unimpressed that no stock of the cable routing kits are being brought into the country. Both bikes have ugly open ports now where the dropper cable goes in  

Odd thing I noticed is that one bike has Orbea cranks and the other Shimano. Part shortage still very much a thing it seems.

As for taking the bikes to Cyclelab for anything…not a chance. Took delivery and my first step was to bolt check everything. Guess what? Nothing was even remotely tightened or set. Turns out the bikes never went through the workshop at all. Horrific. 

Both bikes registered online for the lifetime warranty.

Depending on the shape/size of the hole…these work great in a lot of bikes. 
builders warehouse.

edit: sorry saw you need a oval type one.

53D242C2-4B87-4ED3-BD85-B9193F72C17D.jpeg

Edited by MORNE