Road bike sizing

Chadvdw67

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, guidodg said:

the point here is I doubt a 183cm rider would ride a 54cm....

A Large Giant TCR is a 53cm and the recommended fit range is 183-193cm.

Which shows how stupid using seat tube measurement to determine the correct frame size is.

I hear what you guys are saying about bike fitting, but my experience with bike fitting has been really negative, I have done 3 bike fittings on 3 different bikes and I was never happy with them, so yes, I am hesitant to go and drop more money on bike fits just to be unhappy with what they have done....

I absolutely concur with bike fitting being a complete waste of money except perhaps for a complete novice...

1 hour ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I hear what you guys are saying about bike fitting, but my experience with bike fitting has been really negative, I have done 3 bike fittings on 3 different bikes and I was never happy with them, so yes, I am hesitant to go and drop more money on bike fits just to be unhappy with what they have done....

That is the downside of bikefitting - it is still relatively new so there isn't a lot of consistency....yet.

Come visit me in Copenhagen. I'll find the right bike for you and fit it to perfection or your money back :-)

1 hour ago, guidodg said:

I absolutely concur with bike fitting being a complete waste of money except perhaps for a complete novice...

You're going to the wrong fitters.

13 minutes ago, Eldron said:

That is the downside of bikefitting - it is still relatively new so there isn't a lot of consistency....yet.

Come visit me in Copenhagen. I'll find the right bike for you and fit it to perfection or your money back 🙂

Maybe it was just that fitter, who knows, but all I can really remember, was as much as I was telling them I want to be comfortable and have a comfortable position on the bike, the more they would push a more "performance" suited position so that really didnt help, and it just doesnt inspire much confidence to go on and try any other fitters....

Thanks for the offer, but if I do that, there will be no money for a bike.... 🤣🤣

1 minute ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Maybe it was just that fitter, who knows, but all I can really remember, was as much as I was telling them I want to be comfortable and have a comfortable position on the bike, the more they would push a more "performance" suited position so that really didnt help, and it just doesnt inspire much confidence to go on and try any other fitters....

Thanks for the offer, but if I do that, there will be no money for a bike.... 🤣🤣

We have a few of that style fitter over here. Generally over 60 or an ex racer.

Slam the 130mm stem, saddle 30mm too high,  at least 140mm drop, flat hoods, saddle angled downwards. Aero über allem!

Makes no sense if you're not super flexible, not doing daily stretching,  not doing plenty of core work and don't have an FTP over 450w.

1 minute ago, Eldron said:

We have a few of that style fitter over here. Generally over 60 or an ex racer.

Slam the 130mm stem, saddle 30mm too high,  at least 140mm drop, flat hoods, saddle angled downwards. Aero über allem!

Makes no sense if you're not super flexible, not doing daily stretching,  not doing plenty of core work and don't have an FTP over 450w.

Wow, that is impressive, never even named the fitter and it sounds like you know who I am talking about 🤣

13 hours ago, guidodg said:

yes thats why no pro riders ever have bike fits done

On 10/17/2022 at 11:41 AM, Thomo said:

... and stock availability.

Some will try to convince you that whatever is on the floor is your size. 🙈

JIP .... That was some expensive school fees ....

I'm 172

MTB is a medium. 

I have both 54cm and 52cm Road bike and I much prefer riding the smaller road bike. 

Edited by fanievb

On 10/17/2022 at 4:53 PM, Eldron said:

A Large Giant TCR is a 53cm and the recommended fit range is 183-193cm.

Which shows how stupid using seat tube measurement to determine the correct frame size is.

BTW a Large Giant TCR has a 58cm top tube...you are referring to 53cm seat tube but all the other postings in this thread are about top tube which is the way road frames are measured nowadays

I am 178cm and rode a Giant M\L which has a 56,5cm top tube...

Since a lot of modern frames are very sloping [thank you Giant] the seat tube measurement means very little...reach and top tube is everything

Edited by guidodg