Tour de France 2024

'Dale

11 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

<snip>

May the break stay away today. However, Philipsen and the other pure sprinters are still desperate for that opening win and would want to sabotage any breakaway efforts.

Flat stages today and tomorrow before TT, a flat Sat(urday) and a hilly Sunday.

I reckon the sprinters will be wanting to get on the board sooner than later—grab what they can while they can—so today's break will likely be for the sponsors' flattery and then some heavy-duty sprinting by the big guns to make for a thrilling last 5mins after a yawn-fest for 4 hours.

Not to take anything out of Biniam's win, I think the main sprinters will see that stage as a lost opportunity, and amends are on the menu this afternoon...

Last year's TdF first week was a cracker and we marveled at how those first few stages made for a fascinating race. This year's has been equally engaging for different reasons. OK, only 4 stages in so far, but it bodes well.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

Flat stages today and tomorrow before TT, a flat Sat(urday) and a hilly Sunday.

I reckon the sprinters will be wanting to get on the board sooner than later—grab what they can while they can—so today's break will likely be for the sponsors' flattery and then some heavy-duty sprinting by the big guns to make for a thrilling last 5mins after a yawn-fest for 4 hours.

Not to take anything out of Biniam's win, I think the main sprinters will see that stage as a lost opportunity, and amends are on the menu this afternoon...

Last year's TdF first week was a cracker and we marveled at how those first few stages made for a fascinating race. This year's has been equally engaging for different reasons. OK, only 4 stages in so far, but it bodes well.

here's to hoping Jonas is ready for the next 2 weeks 🤞

Hi, if anyone here has been to the Tour and travelled in a Campervan and don't mind sharing their knowledge, please DM me your cell number. I would like to know more about the practicalities of things on the ground. Thanks

On 7/23/2023 at 7:14 PM, Vetplant said:

What are the odds of the break winning today? Or is the importance too high for the sprinters' teams? 

Flat fast stage, the break will have to be super strong and very well organized.

52 minutes ago, Meezo said:

here's to hoping Jonas is ready for the next 2 weeks 🤞

Ah, if only GC Kuss or Kruiswijk were around for that 2nd and 3rd week

Ayuso must be on TJV's payroll. What a chop for not doing a proper shaft and holding back yesterday.

2 minutes ago, Kenosi said:

Ayuso must be on TJV's payroll. What a chop for not doing a proper shaft and holding back yesterday.

i missed the Ayuso , well i missed the stage completely yesterday. i saw the comments was lit on instagram... what happened?

8 minutes ago, Kenosi said:

Ayuso pulled with Roglic and Evenepoel to catch Jonas near the end, hence not on TJV's payroll .... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by TheoG

2 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Ayuso pulled with Roglic and Evenepoel to catch Jonas hence not on TJV's payroll .... 🤷‍♂️

Relax, offcourse he is not on TJV's payroll .
For sure, he took away the last of the bonus seconds by coming in third but had he done his fair bit of pulling and emptied himself, the damage at the top of Galibier would have likely been more than 7s (and Roglic and Remco).

Jonas was never going to catch him down that descend so an additional 5-10s in addition to the 7s at the top would have given Pogi a bigger gap in the end

32 minutes ago, Kenosi said:

Relax, offcourse he is not on TJV's payroll .
For sure, he took away the last of the bonus seconds by coming in third but had he done his fair bit of pulling and emptied himself, the damage at the top of Galibier would have likely been more than 7s (and Roglic and Remco).

Jonas was never going to catch him down that descend so an additional 5-10s in addition to the 7s at the top would have given Pogi a bigger gap in the end

I am very relaxed ..... 😊

12 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Vinegar showed signs of laboured pedalling. As his pedalling cadence slowed the Pog attacked . Took 12 second out of Vinegar in 1000m and a further 33 on the descent. The Dane needed help to get to the line and then got dropped by Evenpools and the Rock in the last 200m. All the fighting talk in the world can’t hide the fact he’s not where he needs to be. Fourteen days se voet. Hinault was right. 

I think you'll eat these words before the end of the tour....

Jonas was 10 or 12s behind at the summit, and then lost time to the heavier rider on a technical descent that required sprinting out of hairpins over and over, which favours Pogi. Yesterday's stage was so reminiscent of last year's stage 6 where Pogi took 24s on a punchy climb to a summit finish, and we all know how that turned out in the end.

The tour is 100% in the balance in my opinion, and the margins are tiny. Jonas closed the gap to 6s at some point on the descent yesterday. If he was literally 3 or 4s closer, I reckon he gets into Pogi's draft and sits on his wheel all the way to the line. But Pogi took massive risks to stay away. One or 2 mistakes on a hairpin and Jonas would have caught him - instead Jonas loses 37s (without bonuses).

But the race of truth on Friday will reveal all...

24 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Jonas was 10 or 12s behind at the summit, and then lost time to the heavier rider on a technical descent that required sprinting out of hairpins over and over, which favours Pogi. Yesterday's stage was so reminiscent of last year's stage 6 where Pogi took 24s on a punchy climb to a summit finish, and we all know how that turned out in the end.

The tour is 100% in the balance in my opinion, and the margins are tiny. Jonas closed the gap to 6s at some point on the descent yesterday. If he was literally 3 or 4s closer, I reckon he gets into Pogi's draft and sits on his wheel all the way to the line. But Pogi took massive risks to stay away. One or 2 mistakes on a hairpin and Jonas would have caught him - instead Jonas loses 37s (without bonuses).

I agree, would be awesome if Jonas can only get better from here, but I think we hoping for a miracle, but then again miracles do happen ... ☺️.

Also it would be great if Primoz & Remco can gain some time somehow (asking for another miracle) that we can have a proper 4 horse race for GC.

Edited by TheoG

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

Ayuso pulled with Roglic and Evenepoel to catch Jonas near the end, hence not on TJV's payroll .... 🤷‍♂️

Actually quite smart of UAE. Keep more contenders in the fight so they mark each other. UAE knows they can cover with the jersey in their side so it’s up to Bora, TVLaB and Soudal QS to get it off them. 
If the 3 play smart they will use the enemy of my enemy is my friend strategy

2 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

To be 7 seconds off Tadej at the top of Galibier after lying with the extent of his injuries on the side of the road in Basque with no racing at all until this Tour is a pretty impressive performance for someone who is not at 100%. 

I see why you did there 😂

41 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

recon Remco is going to make a statement here...