Wildlife on the roads

lechatnoir

I did a long road loop on Saturday, and thought I should share some thoughts

As a cyclist, I am closer to the environment and going slower, I'm able to spot things on the road, like small creatures at risk. I rescued 4 tortoises off the road, or from the verge. Well, one got a skrik from me, and motored off into the bush and I let it go about its business. The other three weren't budging, so I carefully picked them up and moved them about 10m off the road.

Sadly, I also passed an owl that was not as lucky. I stopped and retrieved it out the road and placed it some way into the bush. When possible, I do those for remains of all animals (not the badly squished ones) as I feel strongly that if I can give them some dignity in death, I should do so. Sometimes, that's not possible though, and I go about my way.

My ask of you, dear reader, is if you're able, please rescue small critters that you feel called to rescue safely. We all know the dangers of cars on the road. Let's help out living things that don't know. I've learned to not handle tortoises unless I absolutely must, and if I do, not to turn them upside down - they can lose stored water putting them at risk in the hotter summer temperatures.

Also, if there is an animal that has been hit on the road and you're able and willing, please retrieve it off the road. This does two things - it gives the critter dignity, and it makes the road safer as oncoming motorists won't need to swerve out the way and also scavengers won't be drawn to the remains, causing safety concerns to motorists and themselves.

I feel blessed to undertake my preferred activity in an environment with these lovely living things, but always feel sad when I see then dead on the road. I guess even worse than that would be not seeing any as there's none left.

happy daze to all y'all

i always used to see the giant bullfrogs on the cradle loops when there had been a big storm in Spring. Sadly mostly deceased. When you are on a bike you are in the environment and you go so much slower when watching for things. A major pleasure in my life has ben to ride around game farms on MTB's - truly an awesome experience (except for the soft sand).

My rides always take longer than expected because of my love for all animals . I remove animals that have been hit by cars from the road and as OP said to let them have dignity in death . I have chased dogs and cornered them so that helpers from the area can locate the owners or in some cases i phone the local SPCA and wait for them to collect the dogs . Cats and birds if found and caught are taken to the closest vets on my route . ( I know them all ) . Even when i was traveling in the Northern Cape on business i would do the same with animals i came across . 46664439_1957650681020746_4184997737877471232_n.jpg.05017d8299db657d76b523272acc2453.jpg19601070_1360293564089797_602173400494914571_n.jpg.5fa5d2dbe77d456de76b112608abfe38.jpg 

I've seen some pretty cool things on the road.

Two that stick out:

A pig giving birth (at first I thought a car had hit her). 

A horse, a donkey and a camel running down the road together. 3 very unlikely friends

I dated a vet for some time (turned out maminals were not her favourite animal after all) and she told me that moving tortoises is risky cos it can cause them to pee which dehydrates them.

I have been running early mornings the last few weeks, being rural means my runs see a lot more wildlife than usual. Bumped into jackal a few times the last few weeks, they are getting more and more comfortable with me as well, been awesome to see. Thankfully in our area because it is dirt roads there is little traffic and the animals are generally off the road on their own safely. I do stop to move chameleons though and usher the odd snake back to cover.

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

I dated a vet for some time (turned out maminals were not her favourite animal after all) and she told me that moving tortoises is risky cos it can cause them to pee which dehydrates them.

22 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

As a cyclist, I am closer to the environment and going slower, I'm able to spot things on the road, like small creatures at risk. I rescued 4 tortoises off the road, or from the verge.

I've learned to not handle tortoises unless I absolutely must, and if I do, not to turn them upside down - they can lose stored water putting them at risk in the hotter summer temperatures.

Didn't want to be facetious but couldn't quite put 2 and 2 together in the OPs post - so should we be rescuing tortoises crossing the road or are we only making things worse when we do so?

26 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Didn't want to be facetious but couldn't quite put 2 and 2 together in the OPs post - so should we be rescuing tortoises crossing the road or are we only making things worse when we do so?

I was told by the farmers in the NC that first of all you don't turn it upside down , don't face its back end towards you while carrying it , ( it might pee on you and its a foul smell ).and take it across the road the way it was walking or facing because that's were it wants to go .

21 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

if you think they can cross safely on their own, then leave them be. if being a scholar patrol to warn cars to mind them, then do that. else, if you think that picking them up carefully and moving them off the road is the best thing to do, then do that. I think common sense and good judgement are the watchwords here.

better move them off the road from the imminent danger (getting crushed) and worry about secondary dangers after that. wouldn't be sensible to watch from the side of the road as a double interlink runs over a tortoise because I was afraid to handle the poor thing

8 hours ago, Mamil said:

Triathlete or tortoise?

Not only roads but trails as well.

Today had 2 brown shorts moments. Coming down lombards terra at bloemendal, at the bottom of a table top there was a massive green/yellowish snake waiting for me, it didn't seem to notice me until I missed it by about 20 cm and when I went to take a pic it slinked of into a bush.

Lap 2, same spot and I spot the back end and tail of a rattle looking creatures scurrying off into the very  same bush. 😬

I came across a critter once, and while I stood there admiring it a dwis driving an Audi swerved to hit it. The critter survived with head injuries. Seeing as the critter was a large adult Cape Cobra I elected to rather not get involved by moving it out of the road. 

58 minutes ago, Newbie321 said:

Not only roads but trails as well.

Today had 2 brown shorts moments. Coming down lombards terra at bloemendal, at the bottom of a table top there was a massive green/yellowish snake waiting for me, it didn't seem to notice me until I missed it by about 20 cm and when I went to take a pic it slinked of into a bush.

Lap 2, same spot and I spot the back end and tail of a rattle looking creatures scurrying off into the very  same bush. 😬

It's that time of the year again...

15 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

It's that time of the year again...

Time of the year I stay off the trails on the quiet times once the sun is out - its not as if you only run into just one of these things on a ride 😬

Edited by Skubarra

40 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Time of the year I stay off the trails on the quiet times once the sun is out - its not as if you only run into just one of these things on a ride 😬

I'm not too fussed. I grew up on a farm and know to leave the snakes well enough alone. If you leave them be you won't get bitten. What cyclists must do is to be alert when out riding and when you get to a place where you want to stop, then first look where you intend to put your foot down, especially if you are riding narrow single track and you step off right against a shrub or a bush. Snakes lurk underneath shrubs to hide from birds of prey and to get out of the sun.

Another place on the trails you will definitely find a snake is at the bottom of Happy Hops on Contermans. With all those piles of rocks, farm implements and stuff lying around upon which the dassies tan all day long, you can bet your last rand that there will be snêks lurking not too far off. Protective environment and a source of food. What more would a snake want?