Tshwane Classic

pmswanepoel

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang in, wait what? They were looking to have Brakfontein closed for a bunch of lycra wearing cyclist? No wonder it was postponed. They should be placed under business rescue for stupidity. That is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard. It's just as well the 94.7 applies to have buccleuch interchange or Gillooly's closed for the day. 

The cyclist were already on John Vorster drive why not take them over the highway and onto Lenchen or Hendrik Vervoerd or whatever that road is called. 

I guess common sense is not that common anymore 

2 hours ago, Pieter-za said:

Hi Frosty - what is the full reason then?

They hadn’t paid TMPD, so the support was withdrawn. The bill, in my opinion is exorbitant, but that’s the cost of wanting full road closure (or 80%). The organisers didn’t have the numbers, which is happening at many races. If riders were put off entering events, this is not helping either.

8 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Hang in, wait what? They were looking to have Brakfontein closed for a bunch of lycra wearing cyclist? No wonder it was postponed. They should be placed under business rescue for stupidity. That is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard. It's just as well the 94.7 applies to have buccleuch interchange or Gillooly's closed for the day. 

The cyclist were already on John Vorster drive why not take them over the highway and onto Lenchen or Hendrik Vervoerd or whatever that road is called. 

I guess common sense is not that common anymore 

So was i the only tietkop that arrived at the  monument confused and disappointed . 

I have a suspicion H.P. saw this coming but nevertheless proceeded to still take money from entrants even as late as Friday afternoon with maybe no real intention to actually present the race anymore....?

Edited by Pieter-za

1 minute ago, Pieter-za said:

I have a suspicion H.P. saw this coming but nevertheless proceeded to still take money from entrants even as late as Friday afternoon with maybe no real intention to actually present the race....?

I entered on Saturday 

10 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Sadly ties in perfectly with the other thread ....

It is getting more and more difficult to get road closures.

Wouldn't be too quick to put all the blame on the city - the organisers (and some of their previous iterations) don't have the greatest of track records - not the first time stuff like this happens

26 minutes ago, eala said:

So was i the only tietkop that arrived at the  monument confused and disappointed . 

Your choice of words had me in stitches. Sorry for the k*k situation.

6 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Wouldn't be too quick to put all the blame on the city - the organisers (and some of their previous iterations) don't have the greatest of track records - not the first time stuff like this happens

Sure, but IF the road closures are becoming unaffordably expensive then organisers are facing hard financial realities .... if they cant get enough riders .... run at a loss or pull the plug.   Thats if this was "just" a financial thing ....

I do have some insight into events co.ordination and local councils .... council only pulls the plug when the organisers dont work to the checklists.  It is normally a mad scramble on Thursday and Friday to get that last porta.loo, fire extinguisher, safety barrier, etc in place .... whatever the "real reason" for this event being cancelled, council most certainly gave them ample notice.

Those riders that have traveled for the race, booked accommodation, incurred expenses while this was dragging out behind the scenes .... this is an all round bad situation ....

Well I for one won't go through the effort to enter another road event in the future. "Die kool is net nie die sous werd nie". I'll stick with my 2 events per annum. I really want to go and do the Trans Augrabies but it is just such a drive. 

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Sure, but IF the road closures are becoming unaffordably expensive then organisers are facing hard financial realities .... if they cant get enough riders .... run at a loss or pull the plug.   Thats if this was "just" a financial thing ....

I do have some insight into events co.ordination and local councils .... council only pulls the plug when the organisers dont work to the checklists.  It is normally a mad scramble on Thursday and Friday to get that last porta.loo, fire extinguisher, safety barrier, etc in place .... whatever the "real reason" for this event being cancelled, council most certainly gave them ample notice.

Those riders that have traveled for the race, booked accommodation, incurred expenses while this was dragging out behind the scenes .... this is an all round bad situation ....

Then you don't run the event with road closures? At least until you have the numbers to pay for road closures? What you don't do is market the event with closed roads and pray that enough people enter that you are able to pay the traffic department.

Don't want to go into details but these guys have a history of marketing promises before they have permissions in place, then at the last minute there are panic & scrambles - not the least surprised that this happened, won't be the last time either.

Suppose any Hectic Promotions events in future should be avoided; they will learn hopefully? I can't see how they would be able to still run this event as a postponed event? Maybe their market strategy to silently "cancel" the event?

They did the "same thing" in 2020 and cited that "emergency services" would not be available, or something of that nature and moved the event to Reyton area, there by the Legends MX site ...  Which was also a shambles ....