Bike Check: Kevin Benkenstein's Curve Karoo Prototype

Bike Hub Features

We followed the dots at the inaugural Rhino Run, and after seven days the race between Abdullah Zeinab and Kevin Benkenstein came down to the wire. Abdullah finished the brutal 2,741 km course across South Africa and remote Namibia in 7 days 20 hours and 4 minutes. Kevin finished just 17 minutes later.  Ultra-endurance racing is […]

View full article

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, dave303e said:

interesting to see AXS in the mix for such a long race.

with 4 batteries...I'd hazard a guess he only changed it once though

You'd be surprised how bullet proof the axs systems are

10 minutes ago, 117 said:

My new bike has AXS, I do a lot of adventure racing, with around 500km of relatively unsupported mtb due at world champs next year I have been doing the math around carrying extra batteries vs popping regular derailleur on. At this stage I am also thinking of carrying spares...

1 hour ago, Titleist said:

How do you get your buttocks "trained" for these type of rides?

I’m not sure you can, but a good saddle and set of bibs definitely helps. I don’t struggle with saddle sores but chafe is always a challenge, so regularly apply Ass Magic and Vaseline to keep that under control. 

25 minutes ago, dave303e said:

interesting to see AXS in the mix for such a long race.

I’ve used AXS for racing exclusively since 2019 without an issue. I felt it keeps my hands in better shape because shifting is easier and more importantly the shifting is precise all through the race. I have found AXS to be extremely reliable too, moreso than mechanical on these dusty races. 

22 minutes ago, 117 said:

I changed batteries pretty much every 20hrs on average, although I didn’t run them to 100% empty.

On Munga I get about 26hrs/battery but hillier terrain works them harder because you shift more. 

@Benky The race for 1st and 2nd was very close at the end for Rhino Run.

How much do you (or can you) pay attention to what others are doing in an event like this? And does that impact your strategy as things progress? Or is it a matter of putting your head down and doing your own thing?

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

@Benky The race for 1st and 2nd was very close at the end for Rhino Run.

How much do you (or can you) pay attention to what others are doing in an event like this? And does that impact your strategy as things progress? Or is it a matter of putting your head down and doing your own thing?

We were fairly close to each other most of the race so I had an idea because we would see each other. Other than that I would check when I got to towns, on the tracker, because that was the only time I would have signal. In those last 100km I was mostly clueless though, and half asleep, so I didn't really know until I saw him...but with that said I thought he would be catching me because I was as good as asleep on the bike by that stage. 

So you do try be aware but you don't want to be too focused on it otherwise you will risk blowing yourself up or ruining your pacing I think.

8 minutes ago, Benky said:

We were fairly close to each other most of the race so I had an idea because we would see each other. Other than that I would check when I got to towns, on the tracker, because that was the only time I would have signal. In those last 100km I was mostly clueless though, and half asleep, so I didn't really know until I saw him...but with that said I thought he would be catching me because I was as good as asleep on the bike by that stage. 

So you do try be aware but you don't want to be too focused on it otherwise you will risk blowing yourself up or ruining your pacing I think.

Well done @Benky on an amazing effort!! 

Curious as to what the recovery process looks like after an event like this. How did your body transition back to a normal sleep routine?

5 minutes ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

Curious as to what the recovery process looks like after an event like this. How did your body transition back to a normal sleep routine?

@Benky are you starting Munga?

Personally will take probably 10 years to recover from that effort.

Respect, kudo`s on great ride!!

21 minutes ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

I'd typed the same question, almost word-for-word.

Maybe the answer is just "Yeah I slept a lot" but I would love to hear what the first week after the race was like.

6 minutes ago, DJuice said:

@Benky are you starting Munga?

Personally will take probably 10 years to recover from that effort.

Respect, kudo`s on great ride!!

@Fred van Vlaanderensleep is a ongoing process, but these last few nights it as been better and I think recovery wise I am on the up now. That first week or so was a mess though, long but very light sleep.

No Munga for me, I don't have it in my legs or head right now to be honest.

13 minutes ago, NickGM said:

I'd typed the same question, almost word-for-word.

Maybe the answer is just "Yeah I slept a lot" but I would love to hear what the first week after the race was like.

One thing I’ve realised is that it really messes with your hormone system and there is a lot of toxic stuff floating around my body. I had a lot of night sweat for two weeks but that’s going now, thankfully. I think hormone balance gets totally messed up.