Install new saddle after bike fit

Vish999

Hi.

Was recommended by my bike fitter to get a bigger saddle to address being uncomfortable and always waking up from the saddle. I recently purchased a Spez Power Saddle 155mm moving from a 143(Prologo)

I installed it but just doesn't feel right. What are the tips and tricks considering I have the bike fit measurements? Last resort is to take it to him. 

Tx

Get your sit bones measured - Spez shops have a High density cushion you sit on and it measures your sit bone width - called an AssoMeter. This will tell you what width saddle to use.

I suffered for years on a 135mm saddle after visit to Spez shop to get one of their power saddles they told me i need to ride a 143mm - it made a huge difference, initially it felt a bit strange but after a few rides it was perfect - zero saddle pain

29 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Get your sit bones measured - Spez shops have a High density cushion you sit on and it measures your sit bone width - called an AssoMeter. This will tell you what width saddle to use.

I suffered for years on a 135mm saddle after visit to Spez shop to get one of their power saddles they told me i need to ride a 143mm - it made a huge difference, initially it felt a bit strange but after a few rides it was perfect - zero saddle pain

Hey. I did the sit bones measurement and they recommend 155mm. I'm looking for the steps to install it correctly. The nose is shorter on the Spez so struggling to get it right. 

Edited by Vish999

Hi Vish - you're should not be setting the saddle tip in the same place for the 2 saddles, more you are hoping to get the middle of the saddles aligned (so that your ass is in the same place).

the power saddle should have the front of the saddle pretty much horizontal with the back of the saddle siting slightly higher I think.

16 minutes ago, 100Tours said:

Hi Vish - you're should not be setting the saddle tip in the same place for the 2 saddles, more you are hoping to get the middle of the saddles aligned (so that your ass is in the same place).

the power saddle should have the front of the saddle pretty much horizontal with the back of the saddle siting slightly higher I think.

Sounds like a plan. Will install the old seat and measure the length from stem to widest part and then install Spez. Yes, it has a rise in the back so will be higher. Thanks

3 hours ago, Vish999 said:

Hey. I did the sit bones measurement and they recommend 155mm. I'm looking for the steps to install it correctly. The nose is shorter on the Spez so struggling to get it right. 

Ahah okay i had the same issue moving from a normal spez saddle to a power saddle - I placed the short on upside down on the long one and worked out the nose is 40mm shorter on the power saddle - So i added 40 mm onto the bikefit measurement - where they said my saddle nose must be 50mm behind the BB I now set it at 90mm - Also I use my Iphone spirit level and place it on the nose part of the saddle (Not the back part where you sit) the nose must be horizontal and the sit part or wings of the saddle will rise up slightly - make sure your bike is standing on its tires and not in or on a bike stand.

Basically you sit part of the new saddle will be in exactly the same place as the old saddle

Edited by madmarc

5 hours ago, Vish999 said:

Hi.

Was recommended by my bike fitter to get a bigger saddle to address being uncomfortable and always waking up from the saddle. I recently purchased a Spez Power Saddle 155mm moving from a 143(Prologo)

I installed it but just doesn't feel right. What are the tips and tricks considering I have the bike fit measurements? Last resort is to take it to him. 

Tx

Go back to the fitter and have them do it correctly as per their info

6 hours ago, Vish999 said:

Hi.

Tx

Sit bone width is just 1 part of getting to a place of comfort. If you're 155mm and sit on a brick then it's still going to hurt.

I'm super happy with my Ergon SMC saddle.

https://www.ergonbike.com/en/product-details.html?anr=44030040&s=smcmtb&a=saettel

As mentioned by others already, a power saddle will probably look like it’s too far back  because it is so stubby.  If it is a fore/aft issue you could try putting the old one back, measuring the distance from the stem cap to the back of the saddle, the put the new one on and do the same, putting it at that same position. You might probably find that the power saddle LOOKS like it sits further back. Also, if i recall the power saddle is pretty thin, about 5-10mm thinner than some other saddles…so you’ll have to adjust saddle height too to compensate. Measure it with a tape ir some verniers vs the old and do the math.

Also, if you got it new - from spez - the packaging will show how to mount it correctly in terms of angle. The 120mm odd of nose section should be flat and the back end will then end up tilted sightly upwards.

Extra nugget:

i also got my ass measured a few years ago and im a 145mm ish person. I have a brooks c15 which feels perfect on my gravel bike, had a power 143mm on my previous mtb which was good…then bought secondhand bike that had a carbon Fizik Gobi on it. i listed the Gobi on here for sale and got me one of those Ryder power saddle clones.

I HATED it.

The Gobi is apparently notoriously polarising in terms of fit and comfort and because it is only 127mm wide I thought it would be a no go…thats why i tried to sell it. But because the power knockoff sucked so bad i thought ill give the Gobi a try and im shocked to say it is one of the most comfy saddles I've ever had 🤷‍♂️…and way narrower than recommended for my ass.

Edited by MORNE

The Spez power saddle is an add shape that I could not get along with. It’s like sitting on a samoosa, a big samoosa but a samoosa none the less. It’s wide and it flares quite quickly from the nose which promoted a very forward perch on it for me. 
when fitting a saddle one needs to consider not just it’s overall width but it’s width at the nose , where it starts to flare to max width , how aggressively it flares and then also how it supports your sit bones (ishcial tuberosity) as it rotates forward. The power saddle was designed to support a very forward position on the bike with highly rotated pelvis. If you need to slide it backward then it’s probably too wide and flares too aggressively for your body 

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

As mentioned by others already, a power saddle will probably look like it’s too far back  because it is so stubby.  If it is a fore/aft issue you could try putting the old one back, measuring the distance from the stem cap to the back of the saddle, the put the new one on and do the same, putting it at that same position. You might probably find that the power saddle LOOKS like it sits further back. Also, if i recall the power saddle is pretty thin, about 5-10mm thinner than some other saddles…so you’ll have to adjust saddle height too to compensate. Measure it with a tape ir some verniers vs the old and do the math.

Also, if you got it new - from spez - the packaging will show how to mount it correctly in terms of angle. The 120mm odd of nose section should be flat and the back end will then end up tilted sightly upwards.

Extra nugget:

i also got my ass measured a few years ago and im a 145mm ish person. I have a brooks c15 which feels perfect on my gravel bike, had a power 143mm on my previous mtb which was good…then bought secondhand bike that had a carbon Fizik Gobi on it. i listed the Gobi on here for sale and got me one of those Ryder power saddle clones.

I HATED it.

The Gobi is apparently notoriously polarising in terms of fit and comfort and because it is only 127mm wide I thought it would be a no go…thats why i tried to sell it. But because the power knockoff sucked so bad i thought ill give the Gobi a try and im shocked to say it is one of the most comfy saddles I've ever had 🤷‍♂️…and way narrower than recommended for my ass.

Didnt think of the thickness affecting the post height. Valid point.  I have already set it and seems fine. Will ride it this week on the trainer and see how that goes. I guess with all the minute changes, it makes sense to visit the fitter again. After all, he did say he is happy to install the seat when i plan to get a new one. Tx

18 hours ago, Vish999 said:

Hi.

Tx

Hi Hi, The new power saddle should have 2 little marks on either side of the cut out, these indicate the middle of the saddle in terms of its length. So with the old saddle installed on the bike, find its middle point and measure from there to the middle of your stem cap bolt. You will also want measure from roughly the same middle point on the saddle to the center point of your BB axle on the crank. Then fit the power saddle and set it up as per the measurements of the old saddle, this will get you as close as possible to your set up that your fitter did. Just a note, the power saddle is designed to support you at your sit bones, therefore you will want to set the saddle a little bit more nose down than a traditional saddle. My suggestion would be to start with having the seat rails set more or less level rather than trying to get the saddles platform leveled out and the go from there. 

I hope this helps 

18 hours ago, Vish999 said:

Hi.

Tx

go back to the fit dude or get one like Richard that does the pressure assessment using the gel seat cover - honestly made the world of difference to me. I thought i knew a lot about fit after 20 years but tech makes a huge difference and it showed the pressure points on my pelvis which was completely wrong even though height and distance to stem were all right. I published a long string about this. Its money well spent as the chance os you getting it like they can are slim, as you dont have the insights they do. FWIW my FTP increased something like 10% immediately.

If I may add my two cents.

To get the right angles, I believe the saddle position is determined by your knee position when your crank is in the horizontal. If you drop a line from your knee down to the pedal, the line must just touch or pull slightly forward on the axle of the pedal. Also combine this with the saddle height as moving the saddle forward or even backwards, will impact the reach. 

Power saddle is 17.5cm when measures, typical saddle is 21. You need to take this into account when fitting and doing setback. 

Take also into account the rail heights between each saddle, this will have direct link to saddle height overall. 

Go back to the fitter, let him complete the fitment correctly that you paid for.