Broken (again) Garmin 530 eaten by Hammerhead Karoo 2

brucekzn25

After my second Garmin Edge 530 failed (the usual Altimeter/themometer/moisture error) and Garmin support ignored numerous attempts for assistance, I decided to take the plunge and replace it with another option. Wahoo was top of the list until I came across the Hammerhead Karoo 2. Managed to pick one up off the hub and well this little fellow has blown my mind... it makes Garmin and Wahoo feel like Nokia 3210's

Still early days but seriously impressed so far

2021-hammerhead-karoo-2-bars.jpg

Been running one of these for 18 months and it really is the best I have ever used. In Spain this year using Trailforks and Komoot we were able to do some pretty incredible routes and the Karoo never skipped a beat from a navigation point of view.

One really annoying thing about it though, is the mount. It's made of swiss cheese. So make sure to use the tether if you are using it. You can also switch to a Raceware or use the included quarter turn adapter and a decent a garmin-compatible mount. But always use the tether...

Unsure, but found this INTERTESTING bit of history - who know?!

One of those is Hammerhead – a relative newcomer to the bike computer scene. They’re headquartered in New York, USA, but the company was co-founded by a South African, Piet Morgan, who grew up in Joburg and was childhood friends with four-time Tour de France winner Chris Froome. (Froome is an investor in the company and plans to do more work with them after he retires.)

The Karoo 2 is more smartphone than GPS in design and appearance, with a durable colour touchscreen that features anti-glare texturing and a water-repellent coating. Like a phone, it also features a quad-core processor for speedy operation and smooth screen graphics. It connects to anything and everything, from ANT+ and Wi-Fi to 4G and GPS, and there’s 32GB of internal storage for maps, data and software. Other features include a thermometer, three-axis accelerometer, magnetometer and gyroscope. 

In short, you can harvest all the data. 

The unit itself weighs 131g, or 167g with the included handlebar mount, and in terms of pricing, it comes in at just under R7 000 shipped from the US, including South African taxes. The Garmin Edge 1030 Plus competes directly on spec and costs R12 099, which makes the Karoo 2 a very tempting proposition.  

27 minutes ago, craig.anavi@gmail.com said:

Is there a Hammerhead reseller here in SA? 

Owned by SRAM, so speak to Cape Cycle Systems and they should be able to advise.

1 hour ago, shaper said:

Owned by SRAM, so speak to Cape Cycle Systems and they should be able to advise.

They’re not bringing the Hammerhead range yet. Sales are still through hammerhead directly 

3 hours ago, craig.anavi@gmail.com said:

Is there a Hammerhead reseller here in SA? 

you can order from the Suunto site. Free shipping over 4k, so it applies. i see the price has gone up to 6600 (it was 5500 at some point), but i suppose thats just exchange rates
https://www.suunto.com/en-za/Products/partner-products/karoo-2-cycling-computer/karoo-2-cycling-computer/

i was VERY tempted, but ended up getting a good deal on a wahoo. I kinda wish i'd taken the plunge.

The only issues a user may pick up relate to the mount but they seem to be listening and addressing issues in this regard.

I sent my Garmin away for repair a month ago and O still have not received even an email of acknowledgement of receipt, or repairs statement or quotation for repair or notification of warranty.

I'm done with Garmin. Poor product quality but lots of sheeple

30 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The only issues a user may pick up relate to the mount but they seem to be listening and addressing issues in this regard.

I sent my Garmin away for repair a month ago and O still have not received even an email of acknowledgement of receipt, or repairs statement or quotation for repair or notification of warranty.

I'm done with Garmin. Poor product quality but lots of sheeple

Ridiculous...

Buddy had a similar experience and after throwing his toys out the cot completely (strong worded emails to some people in high places) just to get some response.

I'm also happy to see other good options in the market. Following this closely.

the only problem i have with my Karoo 2 is the live tracking feature.

it only send out the link once on setup and never again vs garmin that sends a link for every activity.

the plus with Garmin is your loved ones know instantly that you have decided to go out on a ride.

with the karoo 2 they will have no idea unless you actually tell them. and then they have to search through emails to find that link that was sent to them 100 years ago.