Check wear on MTB 12 speed chain

justinlo

Hi have always wondered, when using park measuring tool to check chain wear. 
To get the best results does one measure over the power link or not to estimate wear. 

I have a chain which is showing a little wear over power link but the rest of the chain is fine. 

Do I replace chain or not? 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, justinlo said:

Hi have always wondered, when using park measuring tool to check chain wear. 
To get the best results does one measure over the power link or not to estimate wear. 

I have a chain which is showing a little wear over power link but the rest of the chain is fine. 

Do I replace chain or not? 

I am struggling to understand: 
So let me explain what I am reading - you're measuring the chain from point A to B but this does not include the link. You then remeasure from point C to D including the link and now the chain is worn?

IMO: the link should not be included in the measuring of the chain as it does not form part of the chain as a unit, the link is just used to tie one end to the other. If in doubt I will fit a new link but no, your chain is still ok

1 hour ago, RobertWhitehead said:

So let me explain what I am reading - you're measuring the chain from point A to B but this does not include the link. You then remeasure from point C to D including the link and now the chain is worn?

IMO: the link should not be included in the measuring of the chain as it does not form part of the chain as a unit, the link is just used to tie one end to the other. If in doubt I will fit a new link but no, your chain is still ok

Hi Robert. 

Thats exactly what I meant. 

That section of chain over the link when using the chain checker when under a little pressure the 0.5 does pop in and it would start to wear on the cassette. 

Someone can probably do it better than me and add more detail but the dog Johan Borman spake thus "thou shalt not measure chain using the devils invention chain checker but verily use the humble tape measure".

1 hour ago, mazambaan said:

Someone can probably do it better than me and add more detail but the dog Johan Borman spake thus "thou shalt not measure chain using the devils invention chain checker but verily use the humble tape measure".

Probably because he found this a little too advanced to understand.

CC-2_003.jpg

On 12/15/2022 at 4:02 PM, RobertWhitehead said:

I agree and disagree. 
the link should be included as it is a structural component of the chain. It still consists of two precision pins that lock into a plate on the opposing link. There is a tolerance issue here that is more variable than the chain plates. I agree that the chain should be measured at multiple points to obtain a more accurate determination of wear. Wear is seldom uniform despite each link statistically being exposed to similar average load of a period of time. There are many reasons for this ranging from not every link being exposed to the same amount of dirt to non uniform distribution of lubrication to not every element of the chain being created equal. I would take at least 3 to 4 measurements before making a determination of likely wear.

sorry for the wishywashyniss but chainwear is seldom an exact science unless every links dimensions are recorded and then measured with precision Through the chains life

On 12/17/2022 at 12:13 PM, Wyatt Earp said:

CC-2_003.jpg

True maybe - he was not that dof (😇) but I'm not arguing with that thing, particularly as in PT we trust. Be very interesting to see his (or any) analysis though.

18 minutes ago, mazambaan said:

True maybe - he was not that dof (😇) but I'm not arguing with that thing, particularly as in PT we trust. Be very interesting to see his (or any) analysis though.

The guy thumb sucked everything he said, also just wanted to be controversial  for the sake of it.

Technically and mechanically inept.

On 12/17/2022 at 12:13 PM, Wyatt Earp said:

CC-2_003.jpg

This one does not really work very well with 12s chains because it indicates between rollers and due to sram 12s chains having slightly larger rollers one needs a device that measures the same side across the rollers e.g. A CC-4

Edited by DieselnDust

2 hours ago, Wyatt Earp said:

The guy thumb sucked everything he said, also just wanted to be controversial  for the sake of it.

Technically and mechanically inept.

He was certainly outspokenly controversial so I guess you guys had a few "debates".

12 hours ago, mazambaan said:

He was certainly outspokenly controversial so I guess you guys had a few "debates".

I learnt a few things very early in life.

When it comes to semantics, any debate is futile.

When someone gives themselves off as an expert, but cant even manage using a chain breaker (this happened during a ride) they are not worth debating with.

But I will give it to the man, he has strong arms, he managed to pull the wool over many peoples eyes.

14 minutes ago, Skott5 said:

Ride it until it starts slipping and then replace the chain.

Not a very Good Practice Rather Measure the Chain and replace when worn.

Edited by dasilvarsa

20 hours ago, Wyatt Earp said:

I learnt a few things very early in life.

When it comes to semantics, any debate is futile.

When someone gives themselves off as an expert, but cant even manage using a chain breaker (this happened during a ride) they are not worth debating with.

But I will give it to the man, he has strong arms, he managed to pull the wool over many peoples eyes.

To digress slightly, how does the PT item work and is it 100% on needing replacement?

I ask as previous experience of some bike shops is that a service and chain is like asking a barber if you need a haircut.