Bike shop damage

neau7lll

Why not take a video of the bike, getting all the closeups when you drop it off and at the same time, get the mechanic's face in it too. They won't object when they know it's for the protection of both parties. If they do, go elsewhere...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is unfortunately becoming like a car service scenario - when you take your several hundred thousand rand car in for a service,- they walk around note every scratch and you sign for it.... my 1996 Golf at my local garage does not get a scratch check! but not worth even 50K,   not sure at what price point you need to start doing drop off service scratch checks with bicycles..... 

46 minutes ago, RustyHWR said:

In an earlier post you said it was still a new bike with less than 250 km on it? Why would you have serviced the bottom bracket at multiple shops with less than 250 km on the clock? IETS NIE REG HIER NIE.

Imagine how I feel having a new bike that creaks all over. I’m guessing bike shops also just try to make money by saying you need this or that replaced, because it was never greased properly from factory.

Also I was wrong, according to strava i have 428 km on it, 97km of that being the 947 ride. But that is still new in my eyes.

C58F5873-8119-4E90-9F72-9B6AA3D5A4A1.jpeg

F9982AA3-1C00-4AAB-8FEA-6645877C67E4.jpeg

D1DA69C8-6C71-4E6B-8C15-D990CE541C01.jpeg

F5E19835-32FD-429F-8A19-3E1F2D6797FD.jpeg

7FDBE348-ED30-4C12-A14E-42A1B7CAEAAB.jpeg

14 minutes ago, neau7lll said:

Imagine how I feel having a new bike that creaks all over. I’m guessing bike shops also just try to make money by saying you need this or that replaced, because it was never greased properly from factory.

Also I was wrong, according to strava i have 428 km on it, 97km of that being the 947 ride. But that is still new in my eyes.

Nice bike and yes still new. Good luck sorting the problem out.

Many times - never resolved to my satisfaction - jotted i down to learning and bad mouthed the bike shops so much that i probably cost them 10 x what they owed me.

Fritz pienaar in Sunninghill dropped my colnago whilst carrying it down the stairs from the workshop - nothing ever happened.

Recently used a bicycle transport company for bike to be transported to Argus - they dropped it, damaged STi's and bent the levers in - but still denied any responsibility.

Bike shops just smile and wave in the majority. Even when they know its their fault.

My 5 cents...

It takes two to tango.  

Always try to use the same shop, loyalty, respect and trust is key, and goes two ways with some serious EI from both parties.  You cannot expect it, if you do not give it.  

I am fortunate that I have this with my bike shop.  To some extent they know my bikes better that what I do.  They give me great service, sort out any issues quickly, even more so ones they may have caused, because I am a loyal customer, and I respect them (all the staff), and I handle any situation with as much maturity and EI that I can muster.  And they do the same, always, does not matter if it is my cheap single speed or my (too expensive to mention) mountain bike.

**** will happen, it is about the MOT (Moment of Truth) factor.  What do we all do when things go wrong.  It is pretty easy and lekker when things go right, but when it goes wrong you need the MOT factor.  My bike shop has got a lot of MOT, and so do I... (Win Win 😀)  

16 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

What the hell did they do to the crank!!!

😂 no one has any idea, looks corroded. Maybe it was left in dot fluid or some brake fluid.

still waiting for their response.

1 hour ago, neau7lll said:

Ok the crank looks like it was washed with something very acidic. That could be a straight warranty issue or the shops responsibility to sort out. I cannot see them getting away from a new crank there. School fees for them.

the paint chips around the bearings are likely  due to the bearing extractor tool. Looks like they used one of those Specialized tools that pushes against the frame and not one of the weighted rod with expanding collar extractors. That area is always going to get damaged, especially on an alloy frame. I'd invest in touch up paint if I were you. The shops should have least touched up the chipped paint.

BTW, you better get used to replacing bearings in that Trek. make peace with it now. They eat the Split Pivot bearings. I'd actually get the paint stripped around the dropouts and clear coat the aluminium instead. You're going to be getting a lot more  paint chips there.

6 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Ok the crank looks like it was washed with something very acidic. That could be a straight warranty issue or the shops responsibility to sort out. I cannot see them getting away from a new crank there. School fees for them.

the paint chips around the bearings are likely  due to the bearing extractor tool. Looks like they used one of those Specialized tools that pushes against the frame and not one of the weighted rod with expanding collar extractors. That area is always going to get damaged, especially on an alloy frame. I'd invest in touch up paint if I were you. The shops should have least touched up the chipped paint.

BTW, you better get used to replacing bearings in that Trek. make peace with it now. They eat the Split Pivot bearings. I'd actually get the paint stripped around the dropouts and clear coat the aluminium instead. You're going to be getting a lot more  paint chips there.

I have had a YT with zero representation for 6 years and I’ve never had any issues. Haven’t had this bike for a year and its been in the shop 4times

Pending the outcome from Trek, this bike is going to move on to someone else that might have better luck with it. Pity because its one of the most enjoyable bikes I’ve ever owned.

This is why I cant support local bike shops on this level or even buy parts with the overinflated prices. I import most of what I need, Service most of the stuff myself excluding suspension. Years ago a derailleur hanger was broken by an extremely well known shop. They used epoxy to try and fix it. Luckily my friend saw it before the bike was used and took it back. Fortunately for them they sorted it out, but why even go that route to start off with. 

There is a reason why Honesty is the Best Policy. Many stores dont believe in honesty yet they still rake in the business, whereas those that do just make it month to month.

Hopefully you wont have anymore hurdles and they can manage to sort your bike out in the next couple of days.

20 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

This is why I cant support local bike shops on this level or even buy parts with the overinflated prices. I import most of what I need, Service most of the stuff myself excluding suspension. Years ago a derailleur hanger was broken by an extremely well known shop. They used epoxy to try and fix it. Luckily my friend saw it before the bike was used and took it back. Fortunately for them they sorted it out, but why even go that route to start off with. 

There is a reason why Honesty is the Best Policy. Many stores dont believe in honesty yet they still rake in the business, whereas those that do just make it month to month.

Hopefully you wont have anymore hurdles and they can manage to sort your bike out in the next couple of days.

Trek HO phoned me back and said they will do everything they can to make it right, new cranks and a new chain stay. (They probably noticed the negligence on the footage I requested)

Obviously logistically impossible at the moment, but they will sort me out in the new year. Glad it got resolved, pity this wasn’t the outcome on the first call I received, but at the end of the day its the best possible outcome.

51 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Gees Louise, if they did that to my bike all hell would break lose, especially on that crank issue. That's just plain negligence. Please don't let it slide because then the next customer will get the same treatment.

I am the type that will camp out in front of their doors chasing customers away. Was never going to let it just slide. But the issue has since been resolved and they will take care of the damages

1 hour ago, neau7lll said:

I am the type that will camp out in front of their doors chasing customers away. Was never going to let it just slide. But the issue has since been resolved and they will take care of the damages

I still can’t believe the state of that crank….