Bike shop damage

neau7lll

Hi all,

Anyone been in a similar situation where a bike shop damaged your bicycle during a service? The shop said they will make good on the parts damaged, but said the frame damage was already there before they serviced it.

I have requested footage of them servicing the bike in an attempt to prove that they caused the damage.

Any other ideas, and do I back myself until it is resolved?

tia!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, neau7lll said:

Hi all,

Anyone been in a similar situation where a bike shop damaged your bicycle during a service? The shop said they will make good on the parts damaged, but said the frame damage was already there before they serviced it.

I have requested footage of them servicing the bike in an attempt to prove that they caused the damage.

tia!

It will turn into a tit for tat session where they hold all the cards and you don't have any leverage. IMO I will take the parts and move on. It is worth doing some DIY to ensure that this does not happen againĀ 

You mention footage, so I'd say be guided by what is revealed there.

I had a shop overtorque a front derailleur clamp and crack the frame ... needless to say they took no responsibility for it ...

Good luck.!

Edited by Thomo

2 hours ago, neau7lll said:

Hi all,

tia!

Ā 

Had it twice.

Ā 

1. Owner noted the damage, appologised immediately.Ā  Asked me to leave the bike ... later that day it was resolved.

Ā 

2. Took a bike in for a waranty service at the authorised dealer.Ā  Bike had scratches on four different parts of the framesĀ  when I got it back ... seems like a number of bikes fell over and mine was in die middle, damage on both sides.Ā šŸ™ˆĀ  I was "upset" ....Ā  managed to bite my tongue and asked the owner to call me once it was taken care off.Ā  Went back a few days later, they had done absolutely nothing.Ā  The owner: "Why are you upset? It is a MTB, scratches will happen.... "

Ā 

Hard reality ... my word against theirs ....

Ā 

I could only do two things:

1. GIANT SA was informed, twice.

2. Took my business elsewhere.

I was actually surprised that this bike brandā€™s main workshop at their HO was so careless with my bike that is practically brand new and already in for warranty claim.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ll just let this go that easy. Any other bike shop yes but this being their head office and main shop Iā€™m going to be a nuisance to them

47 minutes ago, Eugene said:

What damage are we talking about? Is it a cracked frame or just some scratches.Ā 

Superficial scratches on the pivots they serviced

1 minute ago, neau7lll said:

I was actually surprised that this bike brandā€™s main workshop at their HO was so careless with my bike that is practically brand new and already in for warranty claim.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ll just let this go that easy. Any other bike shop yes but this being their head office and main shop Iā€™m going to be a nuisance to them

Ā 

Sadly your word against theirs ....

Ā 

Seems you also suffered scratches to the frame.

Ā 

Can it buff out ?

Ā 

Only other options:

1. Respray/touch up ...

2. Move on ...

Ā 

Ā 

I voted with my wallet.

Ā 

Ā 

PS - Giant head office was party to my dilema, as part of the repairs was done at head office, not at the dealer.Ā  Even possible that the damage occurred during transport ....Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Hope you get a better outcome

My BB shell was scratched when I once took my bike for service. Then I decided to learn how to do it myself and in the process I realised that they hadn't even bothered to service the free hub on the side where a special tool was needed. The only item I yet need to learn how to service is the fork.

22 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Ā 

Sadly your word against theirs ....

Ā 

Seems you also suffered scratches to the frame.

Ā 

Can it buff out ?

Ā 

Only other options:

1. Respray/touch up ...

2. Move on ...

Ā 

Ā 

I voted with my wallet.

Ā 

Ā 

PS - Giant head office was party to my dilema, as part of the repairs was done at head office, not at the dealer.Ā  Even possible that the damage occurred during transport ....Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Hope you get a better outcome

Every area that was touched by the mech has some sort off damage. Paint is completely chipped off.Ā 
It really is a brand new bike with less than 250km on it. I can point out every little scratch or ding that was on the bike.

It is a futile attempt at this stage but i was promised a phone call tomorrow so will give them the benefit of the doubt until then.Ā 
Ā 

I usually do work on my own bikes but this all started with a creak that I couldnā€™t fix and neither my lbs.

2 hours ago, neau7lll said:

Superficial scratches on the pivots they serviced

??? Was that caused by excess pain flaking off when the new bearings were pressed in?

If yes, I'm sorry to say but this does happen and its a lottery to which bike it happen.

Or were these scratches caused by some other means?

6 hours ago, neau7lll said:

Hi all,

tia!

We use an iPad app called pocket inspection at the workshop (aircraft) where I work and take pictures of any visible damage on the exterior and interior. This goes a long way to resolve ā€œever since you worked on itā€¦ā€ disputes after the aircraft leaves the workshop.

These days itā€™s easy to take pictures and a video with time stamps of your bike when you leave it with the bike shop, and the bike shop can also do something similar as a receiving inspection to protect themselves.

Good luck with your claimā€¦..

Edited by SwissVan

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

??? Was that caused by excess pain flaking off when the new bearings were pressed in?

If yes, I'm sorry to say but this does happen and its a lottery to which bike it happen.

Or were these scratches caused by some other means?

I can only assume this was caused by negligence and lack of finesse on the toolsĀ 

48 minutes ago, peetwindhoek said:

What parts were damaged?

Crank arms (which the shop will replace)

rear triangle pivots(coincidently where the bearings were replaced that caused the creak)

also a minor chip around the bottom bracket but it was serviced by multiple shops so I didnā€™t bring any attention to it.

14 hours ago, neau7lll said:

I can only assume this was caused by negligence and lack of finesse on the toolsĀ 

Crank arms (which the shop will replace)

rear triangle pivots(coincidently where the bearings were replaced that caused the creak)

also a minor chip around the bottom bracket but it was serviced by multiple shops so I didnā€™t bring any attention to it.

In an earlier post you said it was still a new bike with less than 250 km on it? Why would you have serviced the bottom bracket at multiple shops with less than 250 km on the clock? IETS NIE REG HIER NIE.