Western Cape Enduro 2023

MORNE

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

He knows what you know, a universal truth….that to finish first, first you must finish -  Juan Manual Fangio

Anyway, Part of that enjoyment comes from finishing something difficult. Paarl taught a lot of people they suck at spending 3 -4 hours on a bicycle…and for a measly 25km and 900m climbing.

Use that, be better next time.
People argue that the timed stages were not wort the climbs…too easy. Well if you barely manage Paarl, you have no chance in hell finishing 5 stages at jonkers.

Mic drop Morne. 

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/28/2023 at 10:41 AM, PhilipV said:

Don’t be surprised if there’s an enduro at Banhoek this year. 

But carrying speed at Rhebockskloof will require real skills and to keep it up for 4/5 stages will require fitness. Whereas banhoek doesn't really require that much skills to go fast. It's mostly Blue level flow trails with

And to progress at Enduro you need to build the fitness and get a pair of stuk lungs to get up there. Being fast on flow trails is just one piece of the puzzle. 

Besides we only have a couple of really gnarly trail venues that cater for Enduros. The odds of Helderberg holding a race again is slim, so for gnat we are left with Contermanskloof, Jonkershoek and George. 

Also bear in mind that EWC races are now organized by a new crew. With new ideas and theories. Give them a chance. 

Appreciate the first mature response
For sure there is no doubt that you do need lungs.. not what was said. Said its shouldnt JUST be about having a stuk pair of lungs and ofcourse having good bike skills is going to make you faster all round. These are common factors for all the disciplines of the sport.

Some (not all) of the peeps that did well at the paarl Enduro might not fare the same when  trying to be fast down something like the rhinos and conties or the harsher stuff at jonkers (Paarl DH segment times show this the best). They all require you to be fit and well equipped on your bike but demand different sets of skills to be fast through it right? This was my point.
Enduro being the middleground between the two main disciplines and asking for a share of both skillsets so people having opinions about something being too "XC" is not that far fetched when it demands alot more of one than the other. 
Regardless of all the above , as said, will still show, ride and support regardless of the struggle.

On 1/28/2023 at 1:20 PM, Jewbacca said:

What do you know?

Enduro is all about gravity and Gnar!

Fitness is for XC bunnies bro. The ups aren't timed and you don't need lungs to send gaps......... 

Now that I've got that off my chest, I used to love Helderberg as a venue. The steep upper slopes and the rocky middle bits always made you think and the lower slope pedally twisties left you with that lovely metallic taste. You also weren't getting all 5 stages in if you didn't have some legs/lungs.  

I'm not sure I remember a race there where the timing didn't land up being a travesty! 

This is the main reason for the flare up here. Keybord warriors with nothing to actually contribute to a discussion or debate maturely besides ignorant statements based on nothing.
If your not going to walk up to groups of people irl and say the same things then dont bash it away on a keyboard.

On 1/28/2023 at 4:40 PM, MORNE said:

He knows what you know, a universal truth….that to finish first, first you must finish -  Juan Manual Fangio

Im not the most skilled mtber by my own account, but im relatively comfortable spending time on a bike.  And i’m progressing exponentially because i can do 4/5 runs instead of one on any given day and i don't complain about it. I enjoy riding my bikes.
Paarl was a tough challenge, part of the reason everybody is hating on it, is because it was hot and pedally, but it still offered plenty of fun imo.
In any case, it was the same challenge for everyone. The top brass that came still finished where they should have. At the top.
Anyway, Part of that enjoyment comes from finishing something difficult. Paarl taught a lot of people they suck at spending 3 -4 hours on a bicycle…and for a measly 25km and 900m climbing. Use that, be better next time.
People argue that the timed stages were not wort the climbs…too easy. Well if you barely manage Paarl, you have no chance in hell finishing 5 stages at jonkers.
It doesn't matter where I finish, I finished. And i enjoyed the format, I met lekker new people like @BikeGenie here, Ms Jessi Nixon (who SHREDS btw) and a few others that made for an enjoyable experience in tough conditions. Thats all i’m keen for.

Good times with lekker people. Learning as I go.

And this.
There were people, including yourself, that finished the entire even relatively quickly. I crossed the line with what was left of our group stone....last.... due to an admittable lack of fitness compared (Barely managed as it was said).
However still landed mid pack on the results and ahead of op.. so what does that say.. it says the same advice that you are giving out about the fitness aspect but for the technical aspect EXCEPT no is coming here to tell you that it taught you that you suck at the technical descents and should use it to be better next time.

As you said, its the same challenge for everyone at the end of the day which is the absolute truth. Im sure the different events will challenge different riders in different ways. This doesnt mean that people cant have an opinion or wish for abit more rough and they dont need to be bashed for that opinion either. Thinking their opinion is kek or that they are moaning and must be better because it catered to your strengths more than theirs is whats NOT lekker.
Im sure many people would also NOT have a good time if the course was to gnar for most of them and either crashed out or ended up walking most of it? Then less would enter, which if im not mistaken is one of the reasons it is the way it is now and as @Jewbacca said was not so sustainable.

Edited by Josh Baptie

2 hours ago, Josh Baptie said:

This is the main reason for the flare up here. Keybord warriors with nothing to actually contribute to a discussion or debate maturely besides ignorant statements based on nothing.
If your not going to walk up to groups of people irl and say the same things then dont bash it away on a keyboard.

Just and FYI, Philip has been around the scene doing timing, volunteering, racing, playing the fool and complaining about his back pain and all sorts of old man ailments for ever.

I say these things to people in real life all the time. It is not ignorant. It is making fun of, which I get a snigger from  by the fact that you get so annoyed. 

It's not aimed at you unless you choose to see it aimed at you. I don't even know you. I don't know of you. 

But I have enjoyed how personally you seem to want to take things. Sorry

Lets try and move on and not populate the thread further with pointless discussion. If you feel you have a point to prove then go do it on the day of the event….for yourself. Nobody else really cares. 

This just keeps contributing to the long list of negative opinions people have about this version of mountain biking. And half of them aren't that far off either.

it’s not conducive to new people thinking about doing their first event any more likely to do so. 

If you like riding your bike and think doing it in this format regardless of the perceived difficulty sounds like fun…then come and have a jol.
Thats all I did. And it turned out to be a good call. Hey I got to invent a whole new reason to spend even more money on bicycles…win win right? haha.

You’ll  likely find similarly minded people all over just plonking along having fun- just like any other event. Leave the supposed “serious business” to the people who feel they have something to prove to the world🤷🏻‍♂️

Hi my name is Morné And I suck at #Enduro, come suck with me, I promise it’s fun.

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Just and FYI, Philip has been around the scene doing timing, volunteering, racing, playing the fool and complaining about his back pain and all sorts of old man ailments for ever.

I say these things to people in real life all the time. It is not ignorant. It is making fun of, which I get a snigger from  by the fact that you get so annoyed. 

It's not aimed at you unless you choose to see it aimed at you. I don't even know you. I don't know of you. 

But I have enjoyed how personally you seem to want to take things. Sorry

Yeah i know who Philip V is, big fan.
Not sure what your aim was there...
Im more than open to opinions and advice from everyone and anyone regardlesss of their status if they can do so maturely and respectfully.
I dont disagree with any of the fitness requirements, or statements, they are all true. Even agree with @MORNE  100% about paarl, if you didnt cope there theres no chance of completeing a full day at jonkers and it was a wake up since then already to get way more fit. Doesnt mean peeps cant have opinions about which spectrum they think trails lean towards or that it warrants *** statements

You dont need to know me, or know of me, not sure what your aim is there either. I dont know you or of you either besides that fact you comment ALOT on the hub. so well done i guess?

7 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Lets try and move on and not populate the thread further with pointless crap. If you feel you have a point to prove then go do it on the day of the event….for yourself. Nobody else really cares. 

This just keeps contributing to the long list of negative opinions people have about this version of mountain biking. And half of them aren't that far off either.

it’s not conducive to new people thinking about doing their first event any more likely to do so. 

If you like riding your bike and think doing it in this format regardless of the perceived difficulty sounds like fun…then come and have a jol.
Thats all I did. And it turned out to be a good call. Hey I got to invent a whole new reason to spend even more money on bicycles…win win right? haha.

You’ll  likely find similarly minded people all over just plonking along having fun- just like any other event. Leave the supposed “serious business” to the people who feel they have something to prove to the world🤷🏻‍♂️

agreed, end here and each to their own
But food for thought, if we dont want negativity then maybe we dont feed it with trailing comments :) 

1 hour ago, Josh Baptie said:

Yeah i know who Philip V is, big fan.
Not sure what your aim was there...
Im more than open to opinions and advice from everyone and anyone regardlesss of their status if they can do so maturely and respectfully.
I dont disagree with any of the fitness requirements, or statements, they are all true. Even agree with @MORNE  100% about paarl, if you didnt cope there theres no chance of completeing a full day at jonkers and it was a wake up since then already to get way more fit. Doesnt mean peeps cant have opinions about which spectrum they think trails lean towards or that it warrants *** statements

You dont need to know me, or know of me, not sure what your aim is there either. I dont know you or of you either besides that fact you comment ALOT on the hub. so well done i guess?

agreed, end here and each to their own
But food for thought, if we dont want negativity then maybe we dont feed it with trailing comments :) 

Due, I left this alone. You keep coming back and trying to make this 'a thing'

I'm out. I've also been put off coming to any Enduro's this year by this, so rad.

Perhaps I do comment here 'A LOT' (two words - http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html)

I don't social media anywhere else. 

Enjoy being 'mature'. I will continue to enjoy being petty and childish 🤘

I REALLY dont mean to start an arguement here and full disclosure, I have never done an Enduro before but its something im actively looking into this year. This comment comes from a complete outsider.

I just watched the W&M video of the upcoming Paarl Enduro. 

To me it looks like 6 stages of flow trails and not what I think of when someone says "Enduro" event.

I was picturing something a bit more technical like rock gardens and some rocky decents etc. Maybe like some Jonkers Trails or The Cobra at Hoogies?

Or is this like a warm up event for the events coming in the rest of the year?

R450 to ride 6 flow trails doesnt really appeal to me. Thats basically a normal Sunday ride around Tygerberg Trails to be honest?

Should I do this event to get an idea of how it all works and go from there and decide if its for me?

2 hours ago, Graham S said:

R450 to ride 6 flow trails doesnt really appeal to me. Thats basically a normal Sunday ride around Tygerberg Trails to be honest?

THIS

My take on this specific event is that it's a number filler. What I don't like about this decision is that it will appeal to a broad spectrum of XC / marathon rider who is venturing into the sport, but when they finally meet Jonkers, Witfontein or Hoogies / Conters then the wheels come of.

I hope to have a happy medium of trail, flow and tech in an enduro event. I don't mind pedalling, but this specific line does not lean towards being a enduro event in the true sense of the word. 

But this is MY take on the Paarl choice of events. And for this reason I am not entering. I just don't see the value proposition.

2 hours ago, Graham S said:

I REALLY dont mean to start an arguement here and full disclosure, I have never done an Enduro before but its something im actively looking into this year. This comment comes from a complete outsider.

To me it looks like 6 stages of flow trails and not what I think of when someone says "Enduro" event.

I was picturing something a bit more technical like rock gardens and some rocky decents etc. Maybe like some Jonkers Trails or The Cobra at Hoogies?

Should I do this event to get an idea of how it all works and go from there and decide if its for me?

gotta be careful here asking for rocks, the mob might get you.

but honestly, as @Robbie Stewart said it think its got to do alot with the numbers. Catering for the larger audience and making it a bring your whole family event. Which is really a great thing and all but unfortunately leaves those thirsting for abit more on the outside. 
watched the video last night and was quite dissapointed to hear the words "All blue trails and nothing technical". Was hoping it would at least be at the level of the previous paarl Enduro. After watching all 5 stages I decided its not worth it personally

Cobra level trails are still achieveable for most and would be amazing!. one can dream.

Hopefully it is a warm up event of sorts as you mentioned and hopefully it gears up drastically in the next few events. 

If you havent ridden one before then it may still be an idea to go to, just decide whether its worth it for your preferences or not, Im sure it will still be a great event. just unfortunately not the kind of event some of us were hoping for. Keep an eye out for the Jonkers one! that was a proper banger

Perceived Value….

you can ride any of the other trails any day of the week too for R60 odd, less if you have a board. Why are they considered more value in enduro format on race dat? Argument moot. Just don't compete then?

Same with most events, even the ctct which costs almost R1k to enter now. What about the Epic…every year theres some guy stating in there that he doesn't get why those fools pay R100k to ride trails you can access any weekend. Or what about the fools who pay 25k to ride the 1000km od munga?

thats not the point of ‘competing’. You choose to compete because you want to measure yourself against the guy next to you…whether it’s on the r44 or the m3 or jonkers or bloemenice. 

Again, the course is the same for everyone. Go faster than the rest and you’ll prevail. Thats the point of wearing a timing chip. It really is that simple.

You pay extra for the jol of partaking with like minded people, measure yourself against a clock, with some marshals, the medic on the quad and the ambulance at the start incase you fun too hard. Thats the actual value.

REAL monetary ‘value’ then is there to be had for all any day of the week. Just pay trail fee, take your friends and go do 5 stages anywhere as hard as you can🤷🏻‍♂️

People complain for the sake of complaining. It’s tiring. Nobody is making anyone do anything, you can do what you want. Go, dont go…nobody really cares do they?

Edited by MORNE

5 hours ago, Graham S said:

If you've never done an enduro before, then 100% you should do the Rhebokskloof race. You'll learn a lot that you can take to the rest of the season.

POV footage always makes trails look more lame than they are, and W&M cruise at a chilled pace. What I'm trying to say is that you can still get the adrenaline pumping when you race blind and start finding the limit of grip through a corner. I did the Plett XC enduro at Sky Villa trails in December, and it was such a good time with like minded people, even though it was all blue trails that felt more like green.

I don't know what this @Robbie Stewart guy is talking about though...Witfontein is smooth sailing on an XC/Marathon bike 😂

19 minutes ago, Christofison said:

If you've never done an enduro before, then 100% you should do the Rhebokskloof race. You'll learn a lot that you can take to the rest of the season.

POV footage always makes trails look more lame than they are, and W&M cruise at a chilled pace. What I'm trying to say is that you can still get the adrenaline pumping when you race blind and start finding the limit of grip through a corner. I did the Plett XC enduro at Sky Villa trails in December, and it was such a good time with like minded people, even though it was all blue trails that felt more like green.

I don't know what this @Robbie Stewart guy is talking about though...Witfontein is smooth sailing on an XC/Marathon bike 😂

Hey be nice 😅. @Robbie Stewartis a decent enough guy in person. He’s local to that area so i get his bias.

100% agree with the rest though. Lots of fast racing fun to be had even on blue trails.  

ill throw another motorsport quote in support:

if everything is under control…you’re not going fast enough” - Mario Andretti

ps- im way too much in control still🤣

Responsibilities tend to make you slow haha.

10 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Yep for sure. I mean, so is Jonkers Plumber right 😉

Well yes…

I re-present exhibit A🤣

this man hurt a lot of bro-egos that day on the epitome of a racing snake’s bicycle🤘

CDD897AE-4173-45EB-BF1D-9D95FE478FD1.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, Christofison said:

of course it is what are you on about. .  don't need anything more the  Aspens . .  even in the wet😤