Best vehicle for bikes

Rgans

19 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

I come from having 4x4's over the last 10 years to a subaru forester. Let me tell you this little awd drive can go just about anywhere a 4x4 can apart from extreme trails where low range is desperately needed. A friend of mine had a awd xtrail and that also went just about anywhere. I liked having the 4x4's and doing some extreme trails, but mtb is enough for me. The trips to cederberg, tankwa, sutherland and various untarred roads are gobbled up by the forester. I def wont be getting another 4x4 and my pocket is breathing better with the lower maintenance and fuel costs.

Very true, a few of my friends are equally capable on the 4x4 trails in their awd cars. A trip to Namibia sounds lekka and is definitely on my bucket list but until then I'm also sticking to mtb😆

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/3/2023 at 3:43 PM, Rgans said:

Anyone selling their car? I am a student looking to buy my first car. I am looking for a car that is cheap on the road (reliable and fuel efficient). The problem is that those cars are typically small and uncapable of transporting bikes. Any ideas for which cars/small panel vans to look at. My budget is between R100k and R150k. 

Owning a VW caddy is the dream, however, getting one with low km's within my budget is impossible. I am browsing through gumtree and marketplace but most caddy deals seam a bit suspicious. Not interested in buying a caddy that was previously drove/abused by some courier guy. Any advice on alternative vehicles or deals to look at?

Anything with a tow bar, for the bike rack. Preferably something with 5 seats and a boot for loading luggage and tjoms

31 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

I come from having 4x4's over the last 10 years to a subaru forester. Let me tell you this little awd drive can go just about anywhere a 4x4 can apart from extreme trails where low range is desperately needed. A friend of mine had a awd xtrail and that also went just about anywhere. I liked having the 4x4's and doing some extreme trails, but mtb is enough for me. The trips to cederberg, tankwa, sutherland and various untarred roads are gobbled up by the forester. I def wont be getting another 4x4 and my pocket is breathing better with the lower maintenance and fuel costs.

I agree with you, a good AWD wagon is very nice and is a much better option for most people. I don't understand why soccer moms buy Fortuners and not RAV4s or CR-Vs.

But having low-range makes a huge difference in steep terrain, much safer and less wear on your vehicle.

I took a CR-V to Namibia and we traveled through the Namib Naukluft Park. I had to replace all 4 shock absorbers during the trip and my exhaust buckled/snapped from the vibrations, the car took an absolute beating. Nothing compares to a proper 4x4 for extended corrugated gravel roads.

Luckily the forester has x mode, which is similar to low range. Most weekends I am out on dirt roads. The car has proven itself. If I upgrade then it will be to a newer one with terrain response, but I dont see that happening for a very longtime. 

11 hours ago, Christiaan du_Toit said:

This is my first forum post but I thought it might be insightful.

I am turning 19 in a few months so I relate to the student life. This is my setup, a 2001 swb Mitsubishi Pajero with a custom bike rack. I understand that it is difficult to find one with low km's but they are extremely reliable and a great option if you ride remote trails. They are also very safe in collisions due to the ride height and big engine. The short wheel base has enough space in the back for two+ bikes (granted you take the bikes apart and fold the seats over) if you prefer transporting your bike in the car. 

Might be a bit heavier on fuel and insurance but it's safety aspects justifies it for me.

Not saying this is the best setup for you, just giving out some ideas. Good luck.20221027_075022.jpg.6da2157cf9b7b697cd8bbfd73d0232e7.jpg

that is a banging car for a student, all puns intended.

I would be a little but cautious trumping the safety of any car. I'm maybe unfairly lumping you in with the statistically dangerous u25 driver segment but no car is safe in an accident. I wouldn't put any confidence in a "safe car" to help you,  There really is no better safety feature than not being in an accident.

Very anecdotal, but my uncle had an old pajero and had this exact same attitude, He didn't survive the accident when hit by a red light jumper. Maybe airbags would have helped, but we'll never know.

19 hours ago, Rgans said:

Bought a Honda jazz 2011 model with a 1.5L engine and only 90 000km on the clock for R115 000. Bought it from webuycars. It is, however, due for a service because of its age. 

so it worked! We tricked you into buying an outdated POS, who says bikehub has no power these days?!

Get an old Scooby Forester XT 😎can pick them up for a decent price, replacement parts and servicing is cheap with a devout following of enthusiasts to give you all the info you need. Plus.. plenty of HP to put a smile on your face, any tow or roof rack for bikes, enough boot space for your dirty crap. plus they are unstoppable in the sand/ mud.

On 2/8/2023 at 3:28 PM, renayg said:

Another one to add to the mix is a Nissan X-Trail. I've had my 2011 2.0l petrol one for 7 years now and it has never skipped a beat. I currently average about 8l/ 100km. It has big ground clearance and the back seats fold flat. The space in the back is huge! You can definitely get one within your budget with reasonable mileage. Maintenance has also been reasonable over the years. Great car for hauling bikes, longer road trips, and handles gravel roads superbly.

Hence why I love my 1998 Isuzu Frontier (SUV). 2.8TD, 4x4, 10km/l in town. Rear seats folds down and I can comfortably fit my XL 29'er in the back without having to remove a wheel. Parts are cheap and surprisingly still readily available. On gravel she sticks like the proverbial sh!t in a wool blanket and having low range enables me to go anywhere I want to.

As much as I miss my SWB Pajero. It is a mighty fine luxurious first car. You can often literally see the envy in other drivers when they see it. Slap some BF AT2's on and it is also more capable off road and more comfortable on road than most. But ya the SWB gets quite limiting when you need to start loading more than 2 people in it. You also need to apply plenty of lube before you receive the service bill. 
My second car was an old Subaru legacy station wagon. Now that thing could load a ton of stuff in. If you drop the back seats it is a great sleeping spot. We had 4 okes sleep in the back after the one joll and did the same after one of my first adventure races. Station wagons are always under rated especially if you are in town most of the time.

I do agree on the whole thing about not needing a gas guzzling 4x4 in town. I can tell you now most don't ever need it. I also always laugh when people say they needed that car for a trip to Namibia/Bots/Zambia. Really unless you are clicking 4wd every month do you really need it? So many people justify it for overland trips but the reality is you see these 'overland ready' vehicles that are used to their probably less than half their full potential for only a few days a year. Cheaper to hire a 4x4 camper and enjoy a comfy car all year. But no instead they drive around Pretoria all year looking like someone painted glue on the car and rolled it through LA sport 4x4... 

15 hours ago, Christiaan du_Toit said:

This is my first forum post but I thought it might be insightful.

I am turning 19 in a few months so I relate to the student life. This is my setup, a 2001 swb Mitsubishi Pajero with a custom bike rack. I understand that it is difficult to find one with low km's but they are extremely reliable and a great option if you ride remote trails. They are also very safe in collisions due to the ride height and big engine. The short wheel base has enough space in the back for two+ bikes (granted you take the bikes apart and fold the seats over) if you prefer transporting your bike in the car. 

Might be a bit heavier on fuel and insurance but it's safety aspects justifies it for me.

Not saying this is the best setup for you, just giving out some ideas. Good luck.20221027_075022.jpg.6da2157cf9b7b697cd8bbfd73d0232e7.jpg

Look after this car, hold onto it for dear life. Since they stopped production of them a few years ago the resale values have only increased.

A big high body with heavy engine does not a safe car make. The electronics you mentioned will at the most bring it down to a 4 star rating by not having them.

Other things like crumble zones, airbags and stuff is what brings up the NCAP rating.

But you have a little gem there. Look after it. Dont think of it as a cheap 100k car, it is not that.

12 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Look after this car, hold onto it for dear life. Since they stopped production of them a few years ago the resale values have only increased.

A big high body with heavy engine does not a safe car make. The electronics you mentioned will at the most bring it down to a 4 star rating by not having them.

Other things like crumble zones, airbags and stuff is what brings up the NCAP rating.

But you have a little gem there. Look after it. Dont think of it as a cheap 100k car, it is not that.

I'm planning on it, thanks. It is one of the last one's Samcor brought in before Mercedes took over. Luckily the Gen 3 has some safety improvements over the Gen 2 which puts it at a 4/5 on the NCAP test unlike the Gen 2's 1/5. Doubt I would keep it if the score was lowwer than 3, it would have been like driving a coffin.

Everyone always wants a caddy, but I went slightly different with a Touran. The major benefits of it over a Caddy are that it can actually carry people (seven of them!), and it has proper rear suspension instead of a solid axle. This means that it drives like a car and is way more comfortable. The boot is huge and the seats can fold forwards (or be taken out completely) to create heaps of space. I can easily fit two mountain bikes in the back without having to take the wheels off, and still have loads of space for stuff. I've even slept flat in the back next to my bike when going to far away races. 

And it's got diesel power and efficiency and all of the creature comforts I could want. It's a seriously under-rated car.

Isn't the best vehicle a bike? tirrrrrrrrr diff! I am here all week :oops::stupid:

Then my second pearler: if she's got an issue having to sit on the handlebars on the way to the movies then she doesn't belong with a hard core mtber :eek::offtopic:

Just adding some humor as I have nothing constructive to add :thumbup:

Edited by RobertWhitehead
Skarramoesh

2 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Isn't the best vehicle a bike? tirrrrrrrrr diff! I am here all week :oops:

image.gif.944989feb7420f66e118df02e05baf8b.gif

Still love the beeyootiful old cars but in my late fifties they’re kept on smart chargers and are down to a weekly ride.  Simply luuurve the bikes and find I prefer cycling everywhere, including on visits to family and friends across the city and in neighbouring towns.  Then again, unlike others here I haven’t yet travelled for cycling events.

You’re so right though.  “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.  Teach a man to cycle and he will realise fishing is stupid and boring.”  ~  Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Edited by justinafrika
punctuation

21 hours ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

I agree with you, a good AWD wagon is very nice and is a much better option for most people. I don't understand why soccer moms buy Fortuners and not RAV4s or CR-Vs.

But having low-range makes a huge difference in steep terrain, much safer and less wear on your vehicle.

I took a CR-V to Namibia and we traveled through the Namib Naukluft Park. I had to replace all 4 shock absorbers during the trip and my exhaust buckled/snapped from the vibrations, the car took an absolute beating. Nothing compares to a proper 4x4 for extended corrugated gravel roads.

When it comes to extended corrugated roads, like those in Namibia or the Kalahari, one needs to rent a car. Even the wear and tear on a Land Cruiser makes renting far more preferable.