Rims vs Wheels

TheoG

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Fisan said:

If you remove 1 spoke is it still a wheel? How many spokes can you remove before it just becomes a rim and a hub?

Now don't you come spoil my fun with the truth and the facts ... 🤪.

Remove however many spokes you want, if it is still able to suspend the hub more or less where its supposed to be, I would term that as an incomplete wheel ... 😂

Edited by TheoG

16 minutes ago, Fisan said:

If you remove 1 spoke is it still a wheel? How many spokes can you remove before it just becomes a rim and a hub?

Yea just complicated.  Not sure if a disc wheel is a wheel, a rim or a disc.

On 2/18/2023 at 10:52 AM, TheoG said:

I'm getting increasingly irritated with "WHEEL" adds that are placed under "RIMS" and vice versa (to a lesser extend):

1. A wheel without a tyre is still a "COMPLETE WHEEL" !!!!  (a lot adds like this)
  2. A rim without a hub & spokes is a "RIM" not a wheel  (a few adds like this)  

If it contain a rim, hub & spokes its a WHEEL, if its only a rim (no hub and spokes) its a RIM.  How difficult is that to comprehend?

Anyone reading this and you need to place a rim or wheel add in future, PLEASE get it right .... 🙈🤪☺️

@Matt is there anything you guys can do to force guys to post adds in the correct category?  In the past I did sent PM's requesting to fix, put I'm just over it, there are way too many for wheels & rims, in fact, I think the majority of RIM adds are actually complete wheels !!!

It is something we've noticed as well. It seems to be a language issue, i.e. people assume "rims" refer to complete wheels. It's not unique to wheels/rims and a challenge with any user-supplied data. In a perfect world everyone would know the difference between a cross-country/marathon bike and a trail bike or an "Enduro" event vs. an "Endurance" event.

There might be some different naming or a different category structure that would help avoid it, but short of vetting each ad and correcting categories I'm not sure that there's an easy fix here.  We're open to suggestions or insights that may help.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

It is something we've noticed as well. It seems to be a language issue, i.e. people assume "rims" refer to complete wheels. It's not unique to wheels/rims and a challenge with any user-supplied data. In a perfect world everyone would know the difference between a cross-country/marathon bike and a trail bike or an "Enduro" event vs. an "Endurance" event.

There might be some different naming or a different category structure that would help avoid it, but short of vetting each ad and correcting categories I'm not sure that there's an easy fix here.  We're open to suggestions or insights that may help.

Thanks Matt, if I think of any suggestions I will get back to you, but at the moment, like you said, the only way I also see is to unfortunately vet each and every ad .... 🙈

Edited by TheoG

2 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I'm trying my best to ignore it, but this one take the cake.  In what fn universe is cycling shoes called pedals?

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/shoes/566922/look-pedals-new

Don't go down this road. You will need to change your hubname to Hairy2 and it will consume you.

Let people be dumb on their own time, don't let it encroach on yours.

You will thank me later 😝

Just now, Jewbacca said:

Don't go down this road. You will need to change your hubname to Hairy2 and it will consume you.

Let people be dumb on their own time, don't let it encroach on yours.

You will thank me later 😝

Yeah, I'm trying .... 🤪🙈

2 hours ago, wolver said:

No! Thats a taco not a tostada🤠

I call it a f'd wheel & jaw ... 🤪

Edited by TheoG