Rouvy just became ridiculously expensive!!

pedal menace

5 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Agree BUT...Zwift for 3 people is still way too high as they also have no family plans. 

And...(dangerous statement coming - prepare)...Zwift is BORING AS HELL! Just my own opinion. Software platforms that offer literally HUNDREDS of real life video routes is soooo much better. You get to see the world and ride famous routes. Zwift just beats everyone on the networking/socializing aspect of riding together. The rest.....yaaaaawn....(sorry)

How old is your kid ?

Minors have free access on Zwift .... (at least did so a few years ago)

Edit - seems kids under 16 still free on Zwift

Edited by ChrisF

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Jbr said:

All these IDT services are so expensive it’s actually ridiculous… blows my mind that people haven’t yet started youtube channels where you can watch a ride and download gpx file so that you can ride it on your garmin with your IDT

you mean like TAcx Training App?

4 hours ago, Mamil said:

Zwift races are good fun and the big draw card for me. Rouvy routes are nice but there's so seldom a race with more than a couple of participants.

Exchange rate is pushing up the costs too but if it's a choice Netflix or zwift I will choose zwift.

Without a doubt I prefer riding outside.

But work often stops that in the week.  Did a hard 1 hour ride tonight.

Not a race, just a route.

Me, pushing my own limits.  Managed a nice constant pace.  Even got out the saddle for two climbs, into zone 5 ... kept my pace while recovering my heart rate ....

I enjoy the scenery ... 

Some may say junk miles.

I see improvements.  Being able to maintain speed on the levels while getting my heart rate down.  Actually increased my 20 minute average power tonight 👍

And my actual reason for starting up the IDT  ..  I need to work on my saddle fitness ....

10 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Without a doubt I prefer riding outside.

But work often stops that in the week.  Did a hard 1 hour ride tonight.

Not a race, just a route.

Me, pushing my own limits.  Managed a nice constant pace.  Even got out the saddle for two climbs, into zone 5 ... kept my pace while recovering my heart rate ....

I enjoy the scenery ... 

Some may say junk miles.

I see improvements.  Being able to maintain speed on the levels while getting my heart rate down.  Actually increased my 20 minute average power tonight 👍

And my actual reason for starting up the IDT  ..  I need to work on my saddle fitness ....

For me zwift has been a game changer. I fortuitously bought the kickr a week before the hard lockdown which kept me sane. I also way prefer riding outside but being able to come home from work and 10.mins later be doing a structured session for an hour without risking traffic has made me better on the bike.

No way I would see your session as junk miles

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

How old is your kid ?

Minors have free access on Zwift .... (at least did so a few years ago)

Edit - seems kids under 16 still free on Zwift

Perhaps kid not the right word...21 years old and kicking my butt when riding together. 🤣

I went the extra mile and effort to create a pain cave where all 3 of us can sit next to each other and IDT together. To a degree that is actually quite fun. It is even more fun when all 3 can ride the same route at the same time. But to have 3 individual subscriptions does become quite expensive hence looking for software that offers family plans. We all 3 have smart trainers - so software that interacts with the trainer is a must. As such a mere YouTube video would not quite cut it for us. 

There's a free (for now) platform called Mywoosh that you guys should maybe try. It's a clear knock off of Zwift that's set in the UAE. The emphasis seems to be on racing but there are workouts.

I've tried to install it on my laptop but it does seem to be angled towards the Apple ecosystem.

12 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

you mean like TAcx Training App?

But it’s also around 15$ pm ? Like fullgaz that does the same thing

For me zwift is only good if you want to race or run workouts, but I don’t do that anymore, we have plenty (too many ?) real races on the calendar already. Nowadays (meaning not in winter or lockdown) I only use the idt to do steady z2 rides or recovery spins so I’m more interested in tacx or fullgas type apps where I can see roads from all over the world, otherwise I just watch youtube/netflix.

Workouts on the IDT I can’t do my numbers are crap indoors it’s not quality 😜😜

Does fulgaz do gps rendered routes now?

my TTS4 used to do it but now thst it’s been sunset they disabled the functionality. TTA carried this functionality forward. It’s basically an online TTS4

the other software that does similar at a reasonable cost is perfpro which is $99 for 3 user license once off. 
golden cheetah is free but it’s quite a learning curve.

Golden Cheetah controls the trainer with some variation within z2 while I watch YouTube or Netflix. Anything else on the IDT is death for me.

19 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Just got the surprise of my life. I recently subscribed to Rouvy and was very chaffed they offered a 3 Family member plan under a single Annual Subscription. Total was EUR144 - in affect for 3 people. In the meantime I started doing the needful to get my wife and son ready and over the weekend set up the trainers, built PCs for them (scrap parts) ets etc. Lot of effort but enjoyed it! So I created their Rouvy Accounts and went to Rouvy website to add them to my Family plan. BAM! "We apologise for any inconvenience caused but decided to terminate the Family Plan scheme!". WTF???? So I immediately mailed them asking VERY nicely if they would be willing to do me a huge favour and add them - there was ZERO notification about their intentions!! Nothing! Zilch!!

Sorry was the reply - you will have to create 3 x new subscriptions. Do the math......EUR144 x 3. That is EUR432 or 8500Ronds! Are they crazy???!!!! So I am going to cancel my subscription - no ways I am supporting them going forward!!! Checked and FulGaz offers a 2 member family plan. That is $109 for 2. As we are 3 people cycling I am still forced to go $109 x 2. That is $220 - still expensive but a LOT LESS than Rouvy. I am very disappointed in them! 

I "auto" renewed yesterday and my family subscription is still active. I forgot about the Auto renewal, I am now using mywhoosh, that is completely free.

EDIT: I now see that if you had an "old" subscription the Family sharing is still active.

Edited by Dexter-morgan

14 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I am now using mywhoosh, that is completely free.

My IDT and tele that i use for it are literally gthering dust in the Garage. I'll probably haul it out for the winter but paying for a subscription is something I want to avoid if possible. What are your thoughts on mywoosh? Are you on Apple?

I tried to install it on my one pc and that proved to be way to technical for me so i threw in the towel.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

5 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

My IDT and tele that i use for it are literally gthering dust in the Garage. I'll probably haul it out for the winter. What are your thoughts on mywoosh? Are you on Apple?

No, I am on windows 11 PC(Laptop) and it works, the updates are quite big +/- 10gig, they are making good progress every month.

Small review here - If you are looking for a Zwift replacement, they are not there yet, they have 1Mill USD price purse for their championship later this year.

Edited by Dexter-morgan

1 hour ago, Duane_Bosch said:

There's a free (for now) platform called Mywoosh that you guys should maybe try. It's a clear knock off of Zwift that's set in the UAE. The emphasis seems to be on racing but there are workouts.

I've tried to install it on my laptop but it does seem to be angled towards the Apple ecosystem.

I run it from my Android cellphone without issues. Their updates are huge though, last weeks was 800meg. 

(and yes, even the daily frequent "rides" turns into a race as no one seems to want to be overtaken.....)

I create workouts in Intervals.icu, sync with my Garmin, which I use to control my trainer, then I put on a video from  (11) Indoor Cycling Videos - YouTube and blast some tunes on my studio monitors to keep me sane

Cost - zero dollah...but the wrinkle is that there are no fancy on-screen alerts as to upcoming interval change - just beeping from my Garmin, and of course, no fancy outfits my little avatar, so those have to be totally analog, and it's always demoralising dressing up for just myself.

21 hours ago, Frosty said:

Makes for some good interval training. Why else would one ride indoors anyway?

I've worked the terrain of my daily route into interval training. There are a few inclines, although not perfectly and evenly spaced apart, that I use for my short intervals. A couple of them can also be used for slightly longer intervals too.

vs doing similar efforts on the IDT I've found the time goes by much quicker outdoors.