Really, No Epic 2023 Thread?

BMCfan

10 minutes ago, babse said:

So barring technicals, top4 teams finish together tomorrow and Tuesday?

No, what I mean is that for 3 days basically everyone has the go, things start to change from day 4 onwards 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the prologue was so nice to watch, this is gonna get exciting. Sad part is the youtube feed (but still better than nothing) and the number of spectators ??? after deducting friends and fam of the riders there were 2 left 👀.
The venue also looked scary empty, no party, no food stalls, expo style things, why not make it attractive to visit?

35 minutes ago, Brakepad said:

the prologue was so nice to watch, this is gonna get exciting. Sad part is the youtube feed (but still better than nothing) and the number of spectators ??? after deducting friends and fam of the riders there were 2 left 👀.
The venue also looked scary empty, no party, no food stalls, expo style things, why not make it attractive to visit?

What are you on about? I was there today and it was pretty busy. Also had a friend with a food truck and they sold out just as nino and co came in. Maybe the cams didnt capture it, but it was hot and most people were under the beer tents lol.

there are also two restaurants on site at meerendal.

the vibe was leka for what it is. 

Edited by MORNE

2 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I also don't know if I was watching a different feed as I thought it was brilliant today.

I have nothing to be critical of at all.

Fantastic racing, great POV camera work and a good vaaaaib coming from everyone involved

I agree. That POV camera work just adds another dimension to the broadcast. Live streaming with great camera work from the e-bikes, helicopters, etc. For free! We are spoilt. 

Very impressed with the coverage today, onboard and from the helicopters ! Hope they keep it going like this. I was at meerendal today it wasn’t super busy but not empty either. I had planned other things since it was supposed to rain, maybe other people did the same. 

35 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Very impressed with the coverage today, onboard and from the helicopters ! Hope they keep it going like this. I was at meerendal today it wasn’t super busy but not empty either. I had planned other things since it was supposed to rain, maybe other people did the same. 

If I was riding I'd not enjoy breathing the dust from the choppers...a few times they swamped the top teams.....

9 minutes ago, love2fly said:

If I was riding I'd not enjoy breathing the dust from the choppers...a few times they swamped the top teams.....

and ? How do you think their salaries are paid ?

5 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Lucky for me then the only dust I'd have to be worried about would be from the Hyenas....

14 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Huh ??

Any decent chopper pilot wont cause:

1. A head wind for the riders

2. A dust storm for the riders.

Certainly some of thee worst pilot behaviour over the last few years - with specific reference to the dust storms.

lol, have you heard any of the riders complaining about a head wind or are you just assuming based on what you saw on tv ? Eitherway, top teams should be glad there were choppers taking awesome shots of them, their sponsors will be happy they sent them to do this race if the coverage stays good for the viewers and it brings more audience. If the riders can deal with 100km stage full gas they can deal with a little bit of dust in their faces

6 minutes ago, Jbr said:

lol, have you heard any of the riders complaining about a head wind or are you just assuming based on what you saw on tv ? Eitherway, top teams should be glad there were choppers taking awesome shots of them, their sponsors will be happy they sent them to do this race if the coverage stays good for the viewers and it brings more audience. If the riders can deal with 100km stage full gas they can deal with a little bit of dust in their faces

No assumption needed.  The land based cameras clearly showed a dust cloud hurtling straight towards the riders, then the helicopter came into view.

14 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Huh ??

Any decent chopper pilot wont cause:

1. A head wind for the riders

2. A dust storm for the riders.

Certainly some of thee worst pilot behaviour over the last few years - with specific reference to the dust storms.

I was thinking the same. Any decent pilot would be well aware of the wind direction and the effects of his rotor drafts..

I flipping hate sucking in dust when I'm dying on my bike however I realise that other bikes cause unavoidable dust, but if I was one of the contenders I'd be pi$$ed as hell.

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

No assumption needed.  The land based cameras clearly showed a dust cloud hurtling straight towards the riders, then the helicopter came into view.

I was watching the vines - yes they were blowing a bit but blew big time and then the chopper Hove into view....

6 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Any relation to the Wakefield racing the Epic ?

yes.

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

What are you on about? I was there today and it was pretty busy. Also had a friend with a food truck and they sold out just as nino and co came in. Maybe the cams didnt capture it, but it was hot and most people were under the beer tents lol.

there are also two restaurants on site at meerendal.

the vibe was leka for what it is. 

There as probably 200cars in the parking area. Some of these were servicing riders. All spectator points on the course had people so the race village wouldn't be full all the time. It as busy but I have no reference other than 2016 when i was last at the Epic at Meerendal. It was much more full then but then there was also a lot more Saffas participating. This year I think the internationals outnumber the locals (will fact check)

Just now, ChrisF said:

Yes there was a dust being blown at the riders but the last few teams also had to contend with stronger head winds on the outbound leg so there would be more dust about