Really, No Epic 2023 Thread?

BMCfan

2 hours ago, splat said:

Combined value of those bikes > value of vehicle 

🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, dev null said:

Imagine parking this at the local Spar in Stellies and coming back out to empty racks all around. The locals would not waste time seeing their ship arrive.

The thuggery in Stellenbosch needs to be urgently addressed. 

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

Not even, limited access in a number of areas. Which would restrict ambos even more, the one ER24 ambo did well to get where it did. 
I think what a few people miss when being critical is that there has to be consideration for everyone involved, not just the amateurs.
Even Dakar has had to make decisions that people may consider going against marketing. 

Dakar perfect at this. MotoGP second, F1 the worst. 

56 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

That's a lot of S-Works that had to be e-vac'd from the mountain

Never S-Works! 

28 minutes ago, Carmichael said:

Jip i see 2 of my mates missed it by 2 mins

Cutoff the day before, after having spent 134k seems off. Surely everyone who has survived deserves to ride tomorrow? 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

🤣🤣🤣

The thuggery in Stellenbosch needs to be urgently addressed. 

Dakar perfect at this. MotoGP second, F1 the worst. 

Never S-Works! 

Cutoff the day before, after having spent 134k seems off. Surely everyone who has survived deserves to ride tomorrow? 

Commentators mentioned riding with a "blue number".  Thus you could continue riding, but no finishers medal ...

Not sure of the fine print around this ....

9 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

was the cut off scrapped or was it applied at 8hrs?

If 8hrs it looks we're down to two Lions....

Sounds like it was applied.

With the large number of riders impacted .... who knows if a late call will be made ?  Is it even possible ?

Friends had a very bad day, finally came in at 6:20.... top 40% 😵  this was a brutal day !!

Drop R134k and then not train properly to finish the Tour de France of Mtb….. no I’m with John W on this. The objective is known. The weather is unpredictable so you have to go out and train in all conditions. Rain , wind , snow, thunderstorm. 
You ahbe to fix your own bike. There’s no mechanic in the bush. If this drop you out then tough luck . Drop another R134k+ 

you weren’t good enough , end of story.

I can’t see why the cut offs need to be adjusted everyday to save egos of the big spenders. To a degree accommodation should be made but it cannot be the norm 

it’s untamed , epic,  African the toughest race in the world. It Shiism reward those who have done their homework

At start today Candice/Amy were 13m53s in front. By end of today they lost 39min. Looks like the broken rim cost them 20min? Then they lost further 19min after it was fixed? Or was the tech zone at km54, and once fixed they lost 5min?

Time split between same two teams: 
34km / All together 

41km / 20min behind

54km / 34m48s behind 
64km / 37m48s behind 
69km / 38m13s behind 
Finish / 39m06s behind 

The first time loss was trying to handle the wheel on the trail. More time bled riding on flat tyre to tech zone. Then they struggled to get the thru axle out because it jammed in the hub.

afte that it was just ride and finish 

46 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Drop R134k and then not train properly to finish the Tour de France of Mtb….. no I’m with John W on this. The objective is known. The weather is unpredictable so you have to go out and train in all conditions. Rain , wind , snow, thunderstorm. 
You ahbe to fix your own bike. There’s no mechanic in the bush. If this drop you out then tough luck . Drop another R134k+ 

I can’t see why the cut offs need to be adjusted everyday to save egos of the big spenders. To a degree accommodation should be made but it cannot be the norm 

it’s untamed , epic,  African the toughest race in the world. It Shiism reward those who have done their homework

They say the truth is always the most painful. 

Sad, but your're right. But some mercy just for today? Cape Epic 2023 | Stage 6 ride report – a muddy MTB nightmare | Life

28 minutes ago, Stephan said:

At start today Candice/Amy were 13m53s in front. By end of today they lost 39min. Looks like the broken rim cost them 20min? Then they lost further 19min after it was fixed? Or was the tech zone at km54, and once fixed they lost 5min?

Time split between same two teams: 
34km / All together 

41km / 20min behind

54km / 34m48s behind 
64km / 37m48s behind 
69km / 38m13s behind 
Finish / 39m06s behind 

Damn. 

35 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The first time loss was trying to handle the wheel on the trail. More time bled riding on flat tyre to tech zone. Then they struggled to get the thru axle out because it jammed in the hub.

afte that it was just ride and finish 

I hope they finish without issue tomorrow and possibly take back 2nd place.

With their luck, finishing 2nd overall on GC will still be amazing achievement!

Hats off to Kim and Vera for being there to take the opportunity. See how much it means during their interview at the end of today.

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

100% with you on the cut offs. The route was already cut short now still expecting a further time extension ? 

This untamed nonsense grind me. It's far more pampered than untamed but as you were. Here I am following the race like a hawk hoping I get another opportunity to ride it again. Hahaha

Great to watch the action and we still don’t know who will take the win tomorrow. 

OSPW is a waste of money. 
Always carry a spare tube. 
Cramping and crashing is part of MTB. 

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Agreed cuts offs once set should not be adjusted, otherwise it diminishes the events prestige and accomplishment of those who made it.

Sure it’s easy to say lying here on the couch watching epic, cricket, golf and tour of cataluna all unfold… someone has to do it 😇

4 minutes ago, jcza said:

Great to watch the action and we still don’t know who will take the win tomorrow. 

OSPW is a waste of money. 
Always carry a spare tube. 
Cramping and crashing is part of MTB. 

Vot is OSPW

Edited by SwissVan