Really, No Epic 2023 Thread?

BMCfan

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Drop R134k and then not train properly to finish the Tour de France of Mtb….. no I’m with John W on this. The objective is known. The weather is unpredictable so you have to go out and train in all conditions. Rain , wind , snow, thunderstorm. 
You ahbe to fix your own bike. There’s no mechanic in the bush. If this drop you out then tough luck . Drop another R134k+ 

you weren’t good enough , end of story.

I can’t see why the cut offs need to be adjusted everyday to save egos of the big spenders. To a degree accommodation should be made but it cannot be the norm 

it’s untamed , epic,  African the toughest race in the world. It Shiism reward those who have done their homework

1 hour ago, babse said:

100% with you on the cut offs. The route was already cut short now still expecting a further time extension ? 

This untamed nonsense grind me. It's far more pampered than untamed but as you were. Here I am following the race like a hawk hoping I get another opportunity to ride it again. Hahaha

40 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Agreed cuts offs once set should not be adjusted, otherwise it diminishes the events prestige and accomplishment of those who made it.

Sure it’s easy to say lying here on the couch watching epic, cricket, golf and tour of cataluna all unfold… someone has to do it 😇

https://www.treadmtb.co.za/extreme-conditions-see-historic-absa-cape-epic-stage-time-extension/

Everytime I watch Cape Epic I'm pleasantly surprised about their ability represent both the male and female racing in such a way that one doesn't detract from the other. This year the ladies racing had been so intense to watch. Daai Amy is hardcore. 

1 hour ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Yeah, this with some illuminating YouTube footage (see e.g. Craig Kolesky Stage 6 footage) shows that large portions of the latter track were just unrideable (floods, thick mud build up in bike), forcing riders to walk long sections. This walking seriously impacts your times. As we know conditions worsen with time, notably with 100's of wheels churning up the muck. Under those conditions, it is only fair to adjust cut-off. I even think they were not liberal enough. Craig is a midpack rider (his assertion), so just imagine latter groups, who admittedly usually lack in various departments. Nevertheless, I think it was only fair, as conditions moved into a category window well beyond what can be reasonably expected.

Moral of the story: unless you were there and rode it, you just cannot ever judge.

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

This certainly was no ordinary day ....

Screenshot_20230325_192126_WhatsApp.jpg.d0e8bdbedd6fa89a0c42a41e70a7c74e.jpg

This picture doesn’t look like it came from todays stage surely?! No number  board and an old giant nrs if I’m not mistaken which I very well might be .

32 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

This picture doesn’t look like it came from todays stage surely?! No number  board and an old giant nrs if I’m not mistaken which I very well might be .

He has a chest protector on. Clearly was ready for the stage….

18 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

He has a chest protector on. Clearly was ready for the stage….

I thought it was a 90s Velotex top which was pretty much the same as a chest protector 😂

10 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Drop R134k and then not train properly to finish the Tour de France of Mtb….. no I’m with John W on this. The objective is known. The weather is unpredictable so you have to go out and train in all conditions. Rain , wind , snow, thunderstorm. 
You ahbe to fix your own bike. There’s no mechanic in the bush. If this drop you out then tough luck . Drop another R134k+ 

you weren’t good enough , end of story.

I can’t see why the cut offs need to be adjusted everyday to save egos of the big spenders. To a degree accommodation should be made but it cannot be the norm 

it’s untamed , epic,  African the toughest race in the world. It Shiism reward those who have done their homework

Lot of hyperbole that’s not necessarily accurate. And at least one multiple Epic winner disagrees, conditions were exceptionally beyond the norm.

4 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Lot of hyperbole that’s not necessarily accurate. And at least one multiple Epic winner disagrees, conditions were exceptionally beyond the norm.

Nah Dion 😜, the 'couch cool kids' know better mate!

16 minutes ago, Chrisjanopsyfiets said:

What time to do the start this morning?

Block B starting at 8:03

App shows 7:45 start for the top teams

Not sure when the broadcast starts ....

Edited by ChrisF

My 2 cents about the conditions yesterday is that yes, it was tough, yes it was probably above the skillset of many back markers but to extend the time is an unwarranted mercy in my books. The event is advertised as being tough and untamed, so anyone who enters should reasonably expect that they could be beaten by the conditions on the day. Yesterday was super wet, but then what if it was super hot, yet rideable?

Or is it only considered tough if the fattest and slowest back markers (like me if I'd care to participate) also make it through a stage?

This is a mountain bike race. Deal with it.