Really, No Epic 2023 Thread?

BMCfan

40 minutes ago, babse said:

I too think the event is now waaaay over subscribed.

2021 (first post-covid event) had less than half the field of this year. Toilets and showers were individually cleaned after every use. This could obviously be done because of the lower number of users, or maybe they skimming on cleaners cost I dont know.

We only stayed in the village 2nights that year and AirBnB'd the rest. Our main issue wasnt the quality of food but the lack of food between post race meal and supper. Not sure if there after more food vendors at the village now.

Maybe I am just ignorant. But for the price of an Epic entry I would expect a bottomless good quality food pit to aid recovery. And clean toilets. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

watched a video of Stage 6 that was made by one of the rders. It looked like all the amateurs were riding 2.4 tyres like Recon Race, Bontraager XR, Racing ralph Pirelli Scorpion XC RC. No wonder so many struggled with mud build up. A 2.0 trail or mud tyre would have been a better option

think nearly everybody was riding 2.4s which were perfect for 7 and 1/3 days especially in Hermanus area with lots of loose sand , but as you say nightmare when the rain started on day 6. With hindsight would have changed but bike shops/service guys we used wouldn't have had any that narrow anyway ..... Guys also pushed there bikes in the muddy uphill sections instead of picking up and carrying them on their backs, problem solved.

12 minutes ago, W@nted said:

Maybe I am just ignorant. But for the price of an Epic entry I would expect a bottomless good quality food pit to aid recovery. And clean toilets. 

Woolies restricted you and ticked off your number once you collected your first lunch meal. From then 11:30-12:30 till 6pm we chowed on our bars and Thirsti water. We tried the only vendor there once, it was horrible and expensive. 

Again the toilets throughout the village that year was pleasant.

20 minutes ago, babse said:

Woolies restricted you and ticked off your number once you collected your first lunch meal. From then 11:30-12:30 till 6pm we chowed on our bars and Thirsti water. We tried the only vendor there once, it was horrible and expensive. 

Again the toilets throughout the village that year was pleasant.

Untamed bro, UNTAMED. 

Not a real mtb'r unless you did the epic they say

4 hours ago, devvydoesdonuts said:

Cape Epic is supposed to be one of the most prestigious MTB events in the world, but every year I hear of the riders coming back not happy with the standard of this event. They make 10's of millions hosting this event, I understand that farmers, suppliers, etc, need to be paid and a lot of money goes into getting the event going but supplying some decent food and clean toilets cannot be that difficult, or cost too much

from what I understand Epic has never paid for land access, but this info is a few years out of date now and might have changed since the sale. A signature place like Lourensford might get something in kind, like trail maintenance, but it is seen as "prestigious" to have your name associated with the event. Val de Vie probably pays a hosting fee to stage finish, similar with Meerendal for the prologue.

it's a business, but while it is easy to skimp on these items it would be detrimental in the long run.

4 hours ago, devvydoesdonuts said:

My riding partner was saying this exact thing this past weekend, he did Epic last year and said that the hygiene is so poor. He said if he does Epic again he will do B&B and try stay away from the crowds where possible.

Pre-covid, the tent village/dinner tent was known as a petri dish for illness. getting sick was a case of not if but when, I'm sure it is all over the archived threads on this here site. It is bizarro to the extreme that people have learnt nothing after being forced to sanitize and wash hands for an extended period of time.

2 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

from what I understand Epic has never paid for land access, but this info is a few years out of date now and might have changed since the sale. A signature place like Lourensford might get something in kind, like trail maintenance, but it is seen as "prestigious" to have your name associated with the event. Val de Vie probably pays a hosting fee to stage finish, similar with Meerendal for the prologue.

it's a business, but while it is easy to skimp on these items it would be detrimental in the long run.

Pre-covid, the tent village/dinner tent was known as a petri dish for illness. getting sick was a case of not if but when, I'm sure it is all over the archived threads on this here site. It is bizarro to the extreme that people have learnt nothing after being forced to sanitize and wash hands for an extended period of time.

Not sure if they do pay for land access, just assumed that they did, taking into account the effort that some of the farmers put into having them run through their land. With that being said then it gives them even less of an excuse to have sub par facilities and hospitality if they do not have to pay or are being paid to have land access. As you said it's a business and where they can get away with cost cutting they will, but it will bite them in the future if they are not careful.

Humans will never learn🙈 I think what makes it so much easier for the riders to get sick as well, is their immune systems take a beating from the effort put into each stage that they literally have no defence against these bugs while sitting in the villages each day afterwards.

1 minute ago, duringd said:

"Woolies provided the post race food" - factually incorrect, based on experience. Worst quality of food I've ever been offered

What did you guys eat post race? And what was offered?

Just now, PappaWatTrap said:

What did you guys eat post race? And what was offered?

Nothing from those paper bags, went off and bought, made our own food off site

Done the Epic way back in '09, and then also CPT twice.  Epic standard lower by a long shot. It was like being back in the Army.

The you get the Sani2C which raised the bar in cleanliness and food quality - and perhaps have a larger field too?

Re food at epic: the saving grace was always the Woolies spread at the finish each day. Properly packaged (although too much plastic), good quality and variety. It was excellent to top up on required carbs, protein etc. The wet towel after hot days in the saddle were lifesavers. Can't speak to this year's edition, as I wasn't there.

Food at main tent (brekkie, dinner): it has always been average to poor, with few exceptions. Has always been my biggest gripe. The caterers try their best, but they haven't employed the best. Not enough emphasis on hygiene (also a big rider problem!).

Water points: not sure what the setup was this year, but last year there were individually packed portions to exactly prevent the "slobber and grab". Again, this is also rider problem: unaware, don't care or just plain lazy (not all, but enough for it to be a problem for all).

Ablutions: this is also a big rider problem, as they mainly feel entitled to have people clean up after them (motto: I've paid for it). Same with food hygiene: too many riders are just too lazy or unaware. With the amount of riders passing through the various stations (look, showers etc), the cleaning crew struggle to keep up at peak times. That said, we also know the motivation of most cleaners....

Bottom line: Epic is on a major cost saving drive to bring costs down as much as possible. Hence not getting the best e.g. caterers - many services have fallen by the wayside. Of course it's all a profit calculation, but there is a fine line. However, this won't (currently) keep the riders/entrants away. Many more riders, as increasingly voiced by many, will just find their own accommodation and food solutions. Which is another substantial cost implication. Maybe one day, the "village" might even disappear, similar to overseas events (where catering and tents are not the norm). The standard set by Sani2c/Joburg2c in terms of hospitality will never be reached again - think they've also lowered the standard themselves due to cost vs entry cost price pain point of riders

1 hour ago, duringd said:

"Woolies provided the post race food" - factually incorrect, based on experience. Worst quality of food I've ever been offered

Sorry what is factually incorrect? That woolies provided the food immediately after the stage or that it is the worst quality food you’ve ever been offered 

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Sorry what is factually incorrect? That woolies provided the food immediately after the stage or that it is the worst quality food you’ve ever been offered 

Woollies was not the food supplier

57 minutes ago, duringd said:

Woollies was not the food supplier

In 2023 no , in previous years they were . There wasn’t post stage food this year according to some commentators here

7 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Yes it is poor, but your biggest problem is all the okes dipping their hands into the water point nutrition, sweating all all the food, sneezing and dipping snot everywhere. I used only my packed race nutrition unless I ran out. Then the porta loo’s are just disgusting. Imagine walking into a porta loo and finding a steamy loaf on top of the seat instead of inside the bowl. The hygiene is both a systemic problem and people problem 

7 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

the food at dinner is generally good. Lunch is also lekker. Breakfast needs work. The scrambled eggs look and taste like something that was regurgitated. I experienced ed this for 7 straight mornings in 2018 and 3 in 2016. It’s a regular complaint that doesn’t get addressed.

water point nutrition needs improvement. Either leave the smalcks wrapped out or have standard packs in brown paper bags and riders can just grab and go. Stow what isn’t used, but sipping snot covered fingers that also likely got intimate with your crotch Many times as riders are usually uncomfortable by day 2/3. Yes it’s 🤢 

I read that twice. Intimate with crotch. I can't. 

And I have the solution:

https://www.maui.co.za/vehicles/maui-m4bi/