SRAM announce hangerless Eagle Transmission drivetrains

News bot

Shimano makes good stuff. I run GRX on my gravel bike and it's flawless, I run GX Lunar on my EB and it's also great. I've had 11spd XX1 and GX, and also 12spd NX, all great (even NX when it's still fairly new).

But Transmission to me really does look and feel a step above as an overall package. I've been wanting AXS for a while, but held off because of the clutch story, because I want my bike dead silent while smashing through stuff.

To me, this is exactly what I want. Yes, it's a @!$%load of money even at GX level, but hey, watcha gonna do?

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SRAM has advanced far beyond what Shimano is currently producing for high end MTB market.

BUT Shimano is far from dead. 

I am of the opinion Shimano is still the go to for MTB groupsets in the mid to low tier.

12 speed XTR, XT, SLX and Deore are way more affordable AND i would argue easier to maintain with affordable parts (chains and cassettes). 

27 minutes ago, Yyyy said:

SRAM has advanced far beyond what Shimano is currently producing for high end MTB market.

BUT Shimano is far from dead. 

I am of the opinion Shimano is still the go to for MTB groupsets in the mid to low tier.

12 speed XTR, XT, SLX and Deore are way more affordable AND i would argue easier to maintain with affordable parts (chains and cassettes). 

I agree with you. 

however as to affordability on maintenance ,Sram works out cheaper in the long run if you look at the miles you get out of cassettes and chains (XO1/XX1) 

14 minutes ago, Scott roy said:

I agree with you. 

however as to affordability on maintenance ,Sram works out cheaper in the long run if you look at the miles you get out of cassettes and chains (XO1/XX1) 

I agree that it does work out cheaper, I just think the cost of the parts is what scares a lot of the guys wanting to go the Sram route, spending 10k+ (XX1/XO1) on cassettes, chains etc. is a lot of money when it is finally time to get new. It is what has kept me on the Shimano side for now. 

At 57k they can keep it. Mechanical Deore, SLX, XT and GX are plenty good enough. Problem is when new "mid range' bikes come with this the pricing is just going to spiral even more out of control. Case in point, the new Trek Fuel EX. The XT build is 115k list. The GX AXS build is 145k list. Bikes have some basic spec (Fox Suspension on the AXS build vs Rockshox on the XT build), so is the 30k premium worth it for AXS? I don't think so

Edited by thebob

1 hour ago, thebob said:

At 57k they can keep it. Mechanical Deore, SLX, XT and GX are plenty good enough. Problem is when new "mid range' bikes come with this the pricing is just going to spiral even more out of control. Case in point, the new Trek Fuel EX. The XT build is 115k list. The GX AXS build is 145k list. Bikes have some basic spec (Fox Suspension on the AXS build vs Rockshox on the XT build), so is the 30k premium worth it for AXS? I don't think so

Deffo not between GX axs and xt…

hell, someone send me a new XT 12 speed rear mech and shifter and i’ll send my axs 🤣.

Alot of confirmation bias around here. Ive mentioned it already somewhere. GX AXS on my one bike, SLX 12spd on the other…and I 100% prefer the slx…and it even has the peasant slx shifter…not even all the niceties of the xt shifter. I just prefer the no hassles clear, crisp mechanical shift on it.  It just works mechanically, ergonomically, tactility etc. 

Also….you can have an audi Q7(?)which will basically drive itself and operate all its its bells and whistles too. 

…and then you can have a decidedly agricultural Toyota land cruiser for similar money that doesn't even come with electric windows. 

…they both will work up to 100k km, but the one will make it to 1mil km without even flinching.

Shimano is not going anywhere. And even of they stopped making mtb parts….the amount Shimano gear attached to fishing rods worldwide probably dwarfs mtbing ones..they have enough going on all over to stay rich and happy. Also..arent they pretty prolific in the ebike side of things with batteries and motors? 

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

…they both will work up to 100k km, but the one will make it to 1mil km without even flinching.

...and for someone who drives 10k km/year and can easily afford it, the Audi is a much better proposition.

Actually Shimano’s business will come under threat from Chinese products within the next 3-5yrs. Those factories have realised that to stay in the game they need their own line of products. SRAM has been on a product and intellectual property acquisition drive for the last 5 years and is positioning itself more sustainably right now. Shimano is being typically Japanese and relying on their reputation. Their market share in the USA is critical, 

3 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

...and for someone who drives 10k km/year and can easily afford it, the Audi is a much better proposition.

That wasn't the point lol. But let me elaborate.
The point is, technologically, the Japanese variant is relatively stone aged versus the german counterpart, but they both exist and both are sold and both have their respective target markets. Edit: ….and cult followings! Audi/vw will not be putting toyota out of business in our lifetime atleast.

And also,…these days if you can afford to own/drive a land cruiser…you can 100% afford a 4x4 beetle lol, even for only the school run in the burbs. The best is when you see a totally kitted out overlanding machine with everything on the roof in showroom condition 🤣.
Both rich mans toys and for the most part to help stroke an ego😅

Edited by MORNE