SRAM announce hangerless Eagle Transmission drivetrains

News bot

16 hours ago, Hairy said:

Or better yet, a gearbox bike in your future .... you can even dump all those gears whilst standing still

Owned a Rohloff hub and as great as they are for reliability and maintenance, they're always a couple of percent less efficient than a 2x set-up even if you completely cross chain.

The same applies for the classified powershift system. When you're in the climbing gear, you basically get the worst of both worlds, i.e. the additional drag of the planetary gears combined with the additional drag of extreme cross chaining.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, WIPEOUT 1000 said:

Owned a Rohloff hub and as great as they are for reliability and maintenance, they're always a couple of percent less efficient than a 2x set-up even if you completely cross chain.

The same applies for the classified powershift system. When you're in the climbing gear, you basically get the worst of both worlds, i.e. the additional drag of the planetary gears combined with the additional drag of extreme cross chaining.

Rohloff hub is for loosers and gravel bike riders, I am talking proper bikes with a pinion drive :PDSC_1303-1024x615.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Rohloff hub is for loosers and gravel bike riders, I am talking proper bikes with a pinion drive :PDSC_1303-1024x615.jpeg

Bunch of pink blouses 👚 

Gears are for housewives and primary school kids 😜

34 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Pinion gearboxes have the same drag penalty as Rohloff hubs but I agree that  if I was riding a Pyga ebike, I would also not be that concerned about drivetrain efficiency  :)

2 minutes ago, WIPEOUT 1000 said:

Pinion gearboxes have the same drag penalty as Rohloff hubs but I agree that  if I was riding a Pyga ebike, I would also not be that concerned about drivetrain efficiency  :)

was wanting to see if someone noticed ..... what's wrong with a little drag by the way.image.png.5c1f3b619d8ea6b9898ada62f27b8bf3.png

13 hours ago, Hairy said:

was wanting to see if someone noticed ..... what's wrong with a little drag by the way.image.png.5c1f3b619d8ea6b9898ada62f27b8bf3.png

I want a @Hairytransmission on my bikes…

….master derail’er haha.

I have derailment envy it’s so good.

17 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Bunch of pink blouses 👚 

Gears are for housewives and primary school kids 😜

Well said 

• 1 month later...

The presser from SRAM is up here: https://bikehub.co.za/news/sram-announce-gx-eagle-transmission-bronze-stealth-brakes/

We hear via the vines that stock is expected to be in SA within the next week or so.

9 hours ago, TheoG said:

Very nice !  Sound like the price is also no going to be too bad ~$1000.  Unfortunately I'm stuck on non UDH for a long time now, old GX AXS is running like a charm though .... 😁

Also stuck on non UDH but there's something about these new cranks 🤤

image.png

18 minutes ago, Matt said:

The presser from SRAM is up here: https://bikehub.co.za/news/sram-announce-gx-eagle-transmission-bronze-stealth-brakes/

We hear via the vines that stock is expected to be in SA within the next week or so.

Also stuck on UDH but there's something about these new cranks 🤤

image.png

Agree, those cranks and also the X01/XX1 ones, looking very good !

Edit: Shimano need to step up their game big time to be able to compete with this, just to get onto level pegging is going to be a huge challenge.

Edited by TheoG

9 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Edit: Shimano need to step up their game big time to be able to compete with this, just to get unto level pegging is going to be a huge challenge.

But on Pinkbike the masses are saying that XT and XTR still shifts better and Transmission is plainly a rip-off 😆

10 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

But on Pinkbike the masses are saying that XT and XTR still shifts better and Transmission is plainly a rip-off 😆

I paid ~R9k for my old GX AXS and its worth every penny, shifting is flawless and the battery almost last for ever ... 🤪

Been on XT & XTR before and yes the shifting is great but nothing beats the no wires/cables, the bzzz bzzz sound and the also flawless shifting on the AXS, just mho .... 😊.

Edited by TheoG

Everyone always says this is the death of Shimano 

See launch of Eagle , eagle lunar , axs , axs eagle , transmission.....

Yet they are bring in billions from multiple OEM deals , have clothing lines , multiple product lines outside of Cycling ect. ect.

Yes Sram is killing them in the drivetrain world and arguably( definitely imo) the brake world but they have the time and money to do their own thing on their own times 

5 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Everyone always says this is the death of Shimano 

Yes Sram is killing them in the drivetrain world and arguably( definitely imo) the brake world but they have the time and money to do their own thing on their own times 

I'd argue that Di2 2x is still better than SRAM 2x and that there are far more 2x bikes set up with Shimano than SRAM.

5 minutes ago, Cardio Goth said:

I'd argue that Di2 2x is still better than SRAM 2x and that there are far more 2x bikes set up with Shimano than SRAM.

Same 

but I still argue that 11spd no matter who made it was just fu**ing awesome, i had 11spd xx1 and xtr at times and bad shifting was never even a thing even if they were dirty as hell , chains worn , pulleys gone .....it just worked

but now i have GX eagle and its working good but I'm very particular about the upkeep of it