Why are bicycle tyres so expensive?

DroppedRider

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

These are less of a problem . I replace my Mtb chain once per year so it’s not a crazy expense. 
but tyres last about 1500km after which they’re past their best despite some tread left. So that’s 4 sets of tyres per year. I spend that on my car tyre’s every 2.5 to 3yrs. 

you can give these to @Rouxenator he will get another 15 000km on them. then, asusming he can't see into the carcass yet -  consider them broken in

20 hours ago, DroppedRider said:

The costs of bicycle tyres are now almost the same as what it costs for my car tyres.  Is there special material in them or more R&D? Someone help me understand. 

also. covered here

the bike comes back from a service...a bit of work done...that service which cost £75 plus extras...the bike has a squeak somewhere....that noise of that cable.. ....but it gets worse...the idea that Botranger tyres were deemed better than Maxxis....

again tried to be sold a pair of tyres..

On 3/29/2023 at 11:13 AM, Skubarra said:
9 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Cost of helmets pisses me off too.

Wish industry could lobby to get the import duties removed for what is a safety item.

Import duties removed/being removed on motorcycle helmets…

https://www.news24.com/life/motoring/bikes/good-news-for-sa-bikers-duty-tax-on-selective-gear-like-helmets-reduced-to-0-20210515-2

important to NOTE that much stock PRESENTLY in the system came in at 25% duty….

Edited by Zebra

One thing to remember is also quantity. Alot more road tires are sold than bicycle tires. This your cost per unit comes down 

14 hours ago, Zebra said:

Import duties removed/being removed on motorcycle helmets…

https://www.news24.com/life/motoring/bikes/good-news-for-sa-bikers-duty-tax-on-selective-gear-like-helmets-reduced-to-0-20210515-2

important to NOTE that much stock PRESENTLY in the system came in at 25% duty….

Well done motorbike industry.

I guess the cycling industry are a little scared to have meetings because they got caught doing some illegal stuff last time they tried.

So I guess the gap is there for something to import a cycling helmet and call it a lightweight "motorbike" helmet. Mx full finger gloves have always been good value too.

Edited by Shebeen
Spelling

On 3/29/2023 at 5:44 PM, Brawler said:

Devils advocate - don't shoot me.

• Lower economies of scale
  • Fewer suppliers and fatter profits
  • Are you comparing an ultra high end bicycle tyre to a Toyota Tazz tyre? Go look at the price of a Range Rover tyre...

I can not even imagine what a tire for something like a Bugatti Veyron cost

10 minutes ago, Psyrax said:

I can not even imagine what a tire for something like a Bugatti Veyron cost

$42000 for a set of 4.

I have a somewhat unconventional bike. It’s a hybrid, but most people side-eye it and call it a commuter bike. It’s called a Riverside RS700 and it’s from Decathlon. I got it because it felt right and lekker (I had quite severe back and neck issues until 3 x disc replacements over the last 2 years). I mostly ride on our dirt roads in our area, NF and tar roads. With some bushwhacking in between. I think of it more as a gravel bike.  

So the bike is the typical “decent for the price you pay” spec from Decathlon. Microshift drivetrain, Tektro brakes and KMC chain. 

It came with “Trekking Speed Hybrid Protect+” tyres (700x38) which I think are manufactured for Decathlon by Michelin, but I’m not sure. I used those for 1000km but decided to change them for my first ever cycling event. I’d only ever had one puncture on one wheel on those (tubed) tyres, so I wanted something else reliable.

After a lot of research I went with Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M, and tubeless. 

I feel a little sorry for the bike. It gets abused. Definitely does its job and then some. It’s heavy, and a hard tail. The stock SR Suntour “trekking” fork is poked. The bike is well-maintained but it’s definitely boxing above its weight class with what I ask of it. There are many times when an MTB would be the bike for the job. But this bike just keeps trucking. Granted it is fastidiously maintained by Mellow and kept clean and lubed by me in between. 

But - those Pirelli tyres.

They are quite literally the dog’s b***ocks.

Today I did my first ever event - along with my family. We did Cradle Mountain Trophy. My first 28km I was with my 8yo kiddo on her TR Calypso. It was slow going for the two of us and we missed the markers for our 34km route so ended up at the water point for the 54km, with 28km on my computer. The organisers gave my kiddo a lift to the 34km water point to meet up with her other parent and I then did the leg between the water points and for the first time in 28km I could RIDE. And boy did I take advantage of it. I flew over some seriously sketchy terrain - thick, gloopy mud for daaaays, sharp slate and other stone/rock. Death by corrugation.

Now I’ve jarred the wotsits out of all my bits but I didn’t lose traction once even when a particularly savage section of mud did it’s best to buck me off my bike. 

For a long stint I kept up with some 90km riders, some of whom were on e-bikes, riding through the worst and longest stretches of mud I’ve ever done. Braking was great, pedalling was great, and I had a lekker downhill stint where I clocked 55km/h with no fear. And I was right up there with the guys on the tar stints - though didn’t want to pass because there really wasn’t any point. 

It’s not to say that the final hill didn’t nearly kill me, but that was a fitness slash leg slash heart rate issue. 

I crossed the finish line after 58kms feeling fantastic. Tired, but fantastic. The bike and particularly the tyres didn’t miss a beat. 

My family came through the finish intact and in one piece an hour later. So, a great day all round. 

The money spent on those 700x40 Cinturato M’s was worth it. Plenty people had punctures today, but my tyres look brand new. Well, they are, but they worked HARD today. They are grippy AF but fast on the hard stuff. They are absolutely worlds apart from the CST Patrols on my wife’s Signal. There is just so much refinement and control on the Cinturatos. They are beautifully engineered. They’ll also sexy as h*ll to look at lol. 

Coming from a horse riding background good quality kit is expensive and it’s something we expect. So yes, maybe manufactures are taking the p*ss, but the feeling of safety today couldn’t really have a number on it. For the price of 15 lattes at each end of the bike I can’t complain, and I’d do it again in a heartbeat. 

They just having a laugh.

How does a set of cleats cost R350 ??

For comparison, this hand plane costs R325.00 and probably weighs 20x what a set of cleats weigh.

spacer.png

How is that possible ???

32 minutes ago, Skott5 said:

They just having a laugh.

How does a set of cleats cost R350 ??

For comparison, this hand plane costs R325.00 and probably weighs 20x what a set of cleats weigh.

spacer.png

How is that possible ???

You didn't price the S-Works Hand Planer.

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 13.34.06.png

On 3/30/2023 at 1:34 PM, DieselnDust said:

I’ve difference between XX1 and NX cassette

stamped steel vs machinedtool steel for xx1/X01 being the biggest difference 

Pinned vs two piece construction 

just the machining cost alone is 10x the cost

both are overpriced though but since an XX1 cassette gives me 20,000km or more it’s only something I need to worry about every 3-4 yrs as opposed to an nx or GX cassette that would likely have to repacked every 1-2 hrs

all sport bicycle parts are over priced but some do actually over good value over their life span

You probably ride way more than me but my GX 11 cassette has been going for over 5 years and a few chains and is still good...

On 3/31/2023 at 1:54 PM, Brawler said:

$42000 for a set of 4.

Stand to be corrected, but believe they are tubular ~ glued to rim - or maybe tubeless glued to rim?  😎

Edited by Mongoose!