Question from ITALY: Cape Town to Cape Point, back by public transports

Luca V

Hi everybody, we are a group of 2 friends traveling to Cape Town next week to take part in Eroica South Africa on Saturday 22nd in Montagu.

We’ll stay in Cape Town for some days after the event and we’d like to get to Cape Point along the west route (Chapman’s Peak etc etc): considering that strong winds are very common in the southern section and fatigue from Saturday, we think of coming back to CPT with some kind of public transport. Any advice?

Thank you!

Luca

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, and an early welcome to sunny South Africa. 

Which day are you planning to go to Cape Point? 

Edited by Iwan Kemp

Uber ?

I'm not from CT but maybe ride from Cape Point to Simons town and then catch the train on the southern Line

There won't be much in terms of public transport.

Perhaps look at the Red Busses or https://www.citysightseeing.co.za/en/cape-town/cape-point-penguin-explorer-tour

Just keep on a eye on the entry fee into Cape Point National Park. I am aware it can be costly for non-residents.

There is uber. I use this guy for airport shuttles and I know that they do provide shuttles for tourists: +27 76 390 4536. Perhaps give him a ping via Whatsapp

Edited by Baracuda

32 minutes ago, Baracuda said:

There won't be much in terms of public transport.

Perhaps look at the Red Busses or https://www.citysightseeing.co.za/en/cape-town/cape-point-penguin-explorer-tour

Just keep on a eye on the entry fee into Cape Point National Park. I am aware it can be costly for non-residents.

There is uber. I use this guy for airport shuttles and I know that they do provide shuttles for tourists: +27 76 390 4536. Perhaps give him a ping via Whatsapp

I don't even know your guy but he's def my choice. Public transport is a hard NO. 

8 hours ago, Iwan Kemp said:

Hi, and an early welcome to sunny South Africa. 

Which day are you planning to go to Cape Point? 

Most probably on 25 or 26.

Any local rider is welcome to join!

Thanks everybody for your contribution, I’ll text your Uber guy.

So also train from Simon’s Town is NOT recommended?

14 hours ago, Luca V said:

Thanks everybody for your contribution, I’ll text your Uber guy.

So also train from Simon’s Town is NOT recommended?

The train end in Simons Town and it's 10km from there to the gate of the reserve. Then from there it's another 12km to the point. As others have said. You do NOT want to use public transport in South Africa.

The red bus https://www.citysightseeing.co.za/en/cape-town is a nice way to see the city and down as far as Hout Bay. It doesn't go over chapmans peak or to the reserve.

I'd try to book an Uber or private shuttle. I assume you are staying in a hotel. If so they will be able to sort that out for you quite easily. If you can got to the point via Hout Bay and chapmans peak and head back to the city via Simons Town and Kalk Bay. They're both beautiful routes. 

I'm a bit confused here.

so you want to cycle from Cape Town to Cape Point and then use transport to return to Cape Town, correct?

16 minutes ago, madmarc said:

I'm a bit confused here.

so you want to cycle from Cape Town to Cape Point and then use transport to return to Cape Town, correct?

Yes correct!

19 minutes ago, Luca V said:

Yes correct!

Come on CT hubbers - surely the new train on the southern line from Simons Town back to CT is safe to use ? with bikes they gonna need more than just an Uber to transport the bikes

An Uber XL should work?

Or maybe a hubber who lives in the area is willing to lend a hand.

Train is fine but with a nice bike I would not risk it.

Edited by Brawler

The Sourthern line train is fine and running🙄.

I've seen the train full of families recently, ready for the beach🏊‍♂️. Even families you don't expect to see on a train, maybe we are turning into a rainbow nation🌈.