Advice needed (melted carbon rim)

Scott roy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Go back to alu rims at a fraction of the cost. You wont notice the difference for more than 3 rides anyway...

How is carbon waste dealt with again?

For the most, with great difficulty. However, SILCA chops it up, bakes off the resin and then adds the chopped strands to their sealant  (SILCA Ultimate Sealant w/FiberFoam). Apparently it works really well, just can't buy it locally :(. I would not mind trying to do something similar with the aforementioned rim. 

Edited by WIPEOUT 1000

2 hours ago, Headshot said:

Go back to alu rims at a fraction of the cost. You wont notice the difference for more than 3 rides anyway...

How is carbon waste dealt with again?

You can use carbon waste in your sealant to block them big holes.

Need to chop it up with a side cutter to make bits of carbon fibers of 2mm to 5mm  long mixed.

1 level Tablespoon per Tyre.

Then gooi in the Tyre with 125ml of your favourite fresh local sealant.

Looking forward to seeing "lightly used carbon rim" for sale in the classifieds soon...

Sorry OP, that does really suck.

Over the long weekend I passed many a car where the exhaust looked way too close to a bicycle wheel.

24 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Looking forward to seeing "lightly used carbon rim" for sale in the classifieds soon...

Sorry OP, that does really suck.

Over the long weekend I passed many a car where the exhaust looked way too close to a bicycle wheel.

Oh but it is lightly used…

17 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

You can use carbon waste in your sealant to block them big holes.

Need to chop it up with a side cutter to make bits of carbon fibers of 2mm to 5mm  long mixed.

1 level Tablespoon per Tyre.

Then gooi in the Tyre with 125ml of your favourite fresh local sealant.

Exactly, I just need some carbon fiber waste to chop up :)  

15 hours ago, babse said:

Would definitely replace the bikeÂ đŸ˜›

and the car whilst we're at it :) 

• 1 month later...

Hi Scott,  this is repairable.  I've repaired a set of ENVE hoops with worse heat damage than this.  I took a chance as I though they were toast but I got them perfectly back in shape.  Have a look at the before and after.   Give me a shout at 0718903187 if you're keen on a quote.  Check out the rest of my work at https://instagram.com/incubit_frameservices?igshid=MmIzYWVlNDQ5Yg==

39E407FA-9D4A-420B-B679-8CA5D794B346_1_201_a.jpeg

48005D97-EB2C-4611-ADB1-B7A1E097DC68_1_201_a.jpeg

AF283375-DC47-436D-BCD8-51C729A41DC8_1_201_a.jpeg

0093AA1D-B6F6-4994-9451-514C4671EF57_1_201_a.jpeg

I dont have that issue anymore but on my bakkie I was scared this would happen and got add on pipe fitting on the end of the Exhaust turning the outlet down twrds road.  10cm bent pipe. This shld work.

34 minutes ago, vulgar said:

I dont have that issue anymore but on my bakkie I was scared this would happen and got add on pipe fitting on the end of the Exhaust turning the outlet down twrds road.  10cm bent pipe. This shld work.

The problem is not while driving, the exhaust gas disperses.

The problem is when you stop to pay tolls etc. etc. when there is no wind. The Exhaust gas just stays at the exit of the pipe and gets hotter and hotter which is worse on a Turbo Diesel but can happen on a petrol as well.

5 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

The problem is when you stop to pay tolls etc. etc. when there is no wind. The Exhaust gas just stays at the exit of the pipe and gets hotter and hotter which is worse on a Turbo Diesel but can happen on a petrol as well.

Thank you for explaining, Connected a bent pipe anyway as I wasnt trusting the distance btw the exhaust outlet and my carbon rim/tyre. I have seen a few of these mishaps B4, ouens pitching up at a race with burnt tyre or rim or both. 

19 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

would love to see what effect "pops and bangs" have.