Shimano - WTF!

duringd

32 minutes ago, thebob said:

Bike24 and Aramex Global Shopper are your friend

when i look at that it says not shippable to South Africa? - am i missing something?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Mtree said:

Aramex SA is the enemy in this relationship:thumbdown:

Have been asking them for a week for a customs invoice to get an item cleared, they then maintain that it takes 72 hours to get a package between customs and the Sandton depo, then another 72 hours from there to Pretoria, thereafter 24 hours for delivery, so 7 days on top of the customs process...
Best part is having to constantly contact them via a WhatsApp bot the whole time, as their phones go unanswered.

Funny how UPS/Fedex can do all of the above in the space of 48 hours.

Fedex calls me before my parcel even arrives in the country. They arrange for me to make payment and it moves smoothly. still, a few days is better than SAPO.

Just now, lechatnoir said:

Fedex calls me before my parcel even arrives in the country. They arrange for me to make payment and it moves smoothly. still, a few days is better than SAPO.

That has been the same experience on this side, just strange how two companies are so different.

7 minutes ago, Furbz said:

when i look at that it says not shippable to South Africa? - am i missing something?

Sign up with Global Shopper and you get a German address. You buy the item using the German address and have it shipped there. They then forward it to South Africa, bypassing the restrictions

7 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

Never had an issue with Aramex. Usually 10 days from order to delivery. Much better than SAPO, which could be as little as a week or as long as 6 months.

Edited by thebob

Local is Lekker and All that BS

So they Proclaim South African Bicycles - They are Actually Made In China - With Some Exceptions

Why don't they design and manufacture quality local parts Shimano - Sram Compatible reasonably priced.

Because They can't !!!!!!!

19 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Local is Lekker and All that BS

So they Proclaim South African Bicycles - They are Actually Made In China - With Some Exceptions

Why don't they design and manufacture quality local parts Shimano - Sram Compatible reasonably priced.

Because They can't !!!!!!!

Do you mean that local companies should create components (brake and drivetrain) that are compatible with Shimano/SRAM?

Csixx does that (Well chainnrings for starters at least).

Problem IMHO is ultimately that the cost to develop and machine parts here. Labour + electricity (When we have it🙈) is a lot more expensive here than in the east.

Add to the fact that the market here is quite small, it probably means that the R&D cost will have to be recovered over a far smaller number of components than big companies i.e. local stuff will be more expensive because the R1m (just an example) spent to develop the design has to be made back in (for example) 1000 sold components as opposed to a company like SRAM that will make (for example) 100 000 as they have a global market.

And then most people will still rather buy the SRAM or Shimano version😔

Seems like we are stuck between a rock and hard place here in SA when it comes to components.

1 hour ago, WT said:

Do you mean that local companies should create components (brake and drivetrain) that are compatible with Shimano/SRAM?

Csixx does that (Well chainnrings for starters at least).

Problem IMHO is ultimately that the cost to develop and machine parts here. Labour + electricity (When we have it🙈) is a lot more expensive here than in the east.

Add to the fact that the market here is quite small, it probably means that the R&D cost will have to be recovered over a far smaller number of components than big companies i.e. local stuff will be more expensive because the R1m (just an example) spent to develop the design has to be made back in (for example) 1000 sold components as opposed to a company like SRAM that will make (for example) 100 000 as they have a global market.

And then most people will still rather buy the SRAM or Shimano version😔

Seems like we are stuck between a rock and hard place here in SA when it comes to components.

You wrote all that when you could have just read his last sentence.

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

@shimano needs to up his game

@shimano is perfectly fine

The distribution chain is rusted, dirty, worn, and stretched beyond measurement .....

GLAD I bought some brake rotors when Evobikes had stock.  Simply NO stock of 203mm 6 stud rotors at any of the local bike shops

On 5/8/2023 at 2:08 PM, MilkManMike said:

Basically a rhetorical question, but how on earth does such a useless company remain in business for so long? Why does shimano allow it?

see response on this thread:

On the 4 occasions I've had to consult with Cape Cycles and buy through a LBS it's been pretty good ...Shimano not so good and that when they answered the phone....

• 3 months later...
On 5/2/2023 at 6:55 AM, duringd said:

Thanks, appreciate the advice. Just rather gatvol of being taken for a ..... by an industry where pricing is already at a premium. And yes, I am raging(apologies), I don't have an issue with everyone earning a little of the cake, but don't make me the prisoner for you wanting to eat the whole cake. 

They have a survey out, tell them how you feel. I don’t support them anylonger simply because their kit has issues and they don’t stand behind it with sufficient stock, ever, 

So give it to them directly for what it’s worth. Personally I just moved on from Shimano and specifically Coolheat. It’s less painful. 

14 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

They have a survey out, tell them how you feel. I don’t support them anylonger simply because their kit has issues and they don’t stand behind it with sufficient stock, ever, 

So give it to them directly for what it’s worth. Personally I just moved on from Shimano and specifically Coolheat. It’s less painful. 

Just did, thanks. Won't be winning any prizes based on complimentary commenting

On 5/9/2023 at 12:13 PM, thebob said:

Sign up with Global Shopper and you get a German address. You buy the item using the German address and have it shipped there. They then forward it to South Africa, bypassing the restrictions

Never had an issue with Aramex. Usually 10 days from order to delivery. Much better than SAPO, which could be as little as a week or as long as 6 months.

Also, and not that I've ever done it, you inform them of the value of the item you are shipping (just ask the shop you're buying off to keep the invoice out of the box). So, you could, if you were that way inclined, to have a second hand evil frame bought off pink bike and that said frame could be, ahem, 'worth' £395. That is what all the import charges will be based on. Not that I would advise that. Or have ever done it. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker