Dealing with Garmin South Africa...

MudLark

2 hours ago, Meezo said:

Any light at the end of this tunnel?

My Garmin 530 seems to be giving me altimeter issues.

It's out of 30-40% end off with 350m for a 500m ride. 800 for 1200m ride. Elevation correction works but I'm sure I'll get gatvol soon...

What gives flog it in the classifieds with a disclaimer?

Mine started giving me issues 2 weeks ago. Incline is up to sh@t. Going uphill and then it suddenly reads -14%

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big shout out to Garmin USA.

I noticed my 3 year old Vector 3S right pedal was separating from the axle. Googled it, it is a known issue. 

Phoned them on Thursday, had a chat, received my new pedal today. Didn’t have to send the old one in or anything. Dude said I should throw it in the trash.

Yes I know I am not helping.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2023 at 4:03 PM, Fisan said:

Eish. So we still have to send units to JHB?

A button on my 18month old F7 got stuck, causing all sorts of issues.

I have a race coming up in 2 weeks, but also, I can't really use the watch is. We should have better options.

Randomly thought about this thread again, thought I should provide an update even though this was resolved late Aug, because, credit where credit is due. 

Garmin actually replaced my unit, despite it (1) being bought in the US and (2) 6 months out of warranty. Ended getting an upgrade to the Pro model as well.

So while I can complain about the premature damage to the unit (other forums suggest that it may be a production fault affecting many units...) I cannot complain about the end result 🙂

mine is starting to pull its elevation back to normal again... maybe it didn't like the cold

Have to give props to Garmin. My 3 year old  and well-used 735XT (2x Munga Grits, 1x Transbaviaans...) started randomly turning itself off and not switching back on again. After trying to do some fault finding myself ended up taking it in.

With the 735XT being discontinued they offered me an upgrade to a 745 (a brand new one, not a refurb) for R1660. Considering the 745 is R4000 more than a 735XT, and my 735XT being way out of warranty, I think that's amazing service.

My only gripe about not using Garmin devices is the lack of integration with Discovery Vitality.

I have a Lezyne Mega XL GPS and it's incredible, with incredible service from their agents to boot.

And the Lezyne devices are very well priced. My device has a 48hr run time battery life.

Garmin SA customer service does NOT respond to online queries AT ALL.

ALL I need is a SCREW (lost it during transit) for a brand new out-front bike mount and paying R900 for a new one is making me want to vom* 

*Apologies for hijack. 

14 minutes ago, nonky said:

ALL I need is a SCREW (lost it during transit) for a brand new out-front bike mount and paying R900 for a new one is making me want to vom* 

*Apologies for hijack. 

Where are you located?

24 minutes ago, nonky said:

*Apologies for hijack. 

Is it the screw that actually fits inside the mount? Try a hobby shop

My 2 month old  130 plus just stopped working as well. Took it back and they’re telling me it’s a 6 week wait for them to assess. What am i supposed to do for 6 weeks 🤦🏻‍♂️

40 minutes ago, plane^driver said:

My 530 just stopped working, wouldnt turn on any more. Bought it back in 2019 in the USA. Send it to garmin SA, and I got a brand new unit for free, no charge at all! 

Thought they would give you two units 

On 10/25/2023 at 10:18 AM, Bub Marley said:

My 2 month old  130 plus just stopped working as well. Took it back and they’re telling me it’s a 6 week wait for them to assess. What am i supposed to do for 6 weeks 🤦🏻‍♂️

I sent (via courier) my 5 year old Edge 130 in for assessment at Garmin in Rosebank. The battery did not want to hold charge anymore, barely lasting 45 - 60 minutes. About one week later I received an e-mail from them with a quote for the 130 Plus offered as a replacement for R1550. I EFTd the money after getting the e-mail and the new Edge 130 Plus was delivered at my house the next morning. All of this was in less than 10 days.

Edited by Jaco Steyn

7 minutes ago, Jaco Steyn said:

I sent (via courier) my 5 year old Edge 130 in for assessment at Garmin in Rosebank. The battery did not want to hold charge anymore, barely lasting 45 - 60 minutes. About one week later I received an e-mail from them with a quote for the 130 Plus offered as a replacement for R1550. I EFTd the money after getting the e-mail and the new Edge 130 Plus was delivered at my house the next morning. All of this was in less than 10 days.

Well it’s been 1 week now and no word yet. I’m probably going to just buy another one myself. I can’t go so long without a device and my watch battery struggles to last more than 3-4 hours.

10 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Well it’s been 1 week now and no word yet. I’m probably going to just buy another one myself. I can’t go so long without a device and my watch battery struggles to last more than 3-4 hours.

Seems that I was lucky then.

Fortunately, I still had an old Garmin Edge 500 that I can use as a backup when things goes wrong. I also have an Edge 705 that I use for my commuting to work and back, but the Edge 500 is such a workhorse, and it has the temperature reading which the Edge 705 does not offer.  After all of these years I still have ±90% of battery life left after a 3+ hour ride. I think I'll probably be taking this one to the grave with me...😄

Maybe you could borrow a spare one from a cycling buddy until yours's sorted out instead of purchasing one?

Edited by Jaco Steyn