New to Gravel racing - Help needed please

Mark6363

Hi - Currently have an aero road bike and XC Carbon MTB. (Trek Pro caliber). The MTB is used for a short gravel road near the house, before going onto tar. (basically a training bike)

Have entered the Rhonde Van Riebek (50 mile) and the Around the pot 100 mile.

I know from previous pictures that a lot of people use MTBs' for gravel in SA, but wanted to know from anyone who has done these rides before, what the gravel road is like.. ie Is it more suitable for a gravel bike vs MTB? From what I understand, if the gravel is "hard", gravel bike is faster and has more comfort for hand positions vs MTB more comfortable with front suspension.

If gravel is the way, looking between the Trek Checkpoint AL 5 (2 x set up) or Specialized Sport ( Carbon 1 x set up)?

Also, I tried to read up on gearing, and it appears that if you use a gravel bike on road and gravel, a 2 x set up is better? Thoughts and inputs would be really helpful.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Mark6363 said:

Hi - Currently have an aero road bike and XC Carbon MTB. (Trek Pro caliber). The MTB is used for a short gravel road near the house, before going onto tar. (basically a training bike)

I know from previous pictures that a lot of people use MTBs' for gravel in SA, but wanted to know from anyone who has done these rides before, what the gravel road is like.. ie Is it more suitable for a gravel bike vs MTB? From what I understand, if the gravel is "hard", gravel bike is faster and has more comfort for hand positions vs MTB more comfortable with front suspension.

If gravel is the way, looking between the Trek Checkpoint AL 5 (2 x set up) or Specialized Sport ( Carbon 1 x set up)?

Also, I tried to read up on gearing, and it appears that if you use a gravel bike on road and gravel, a 2 x set up is better? Thoughts and inputs would be really helpful.

I think I know someone who’s done around the pot on a scalpel and kept up with the gravel bikes (not easily). You’d lose time on a gravel bike everywhere it’s rocky and bumpy, because it just hurts your hands, shakes your brain, you lose bottles, etc etc onces it becomes a little bit too hectic.

bikes : I would personally recommend the Siablo because it is very cost effective, but I haven’t tried any other bike and mine has so many upgrades it’s not really a cheapie anymore. I’m running a 1x with sram axs / 46x10:50. It’s perfect for daily workouts, rides and races. In fact it’s so good I do almost all my rides on it.

Edited by Jbr

It's a mixed a bag, some people swear that their mtb is enough for gravel and the same for an actual gravel bike. 

Some are building mullets or taking old hardtails to build, 'rockets'. 

You need to get out there and unfortunately experience an event or route to see what will get you through and at what level. 

36t or 38t chain ring and some ikons on my dual sus was good for me on R2S. 

Might buy a gravel bike, due to liking things 

A lot depends on bike handling skills - I notice that good bike handlers are able to descend Swartberg pass for example on their gravel bikes and not eat into the gains their better gearing and efficiency give them on the less tricky bits.

I think the Ronde van Riebeek will be fine for a gravel bike and I intend riding it on my aluminium checkpoint - it's the week after 36one which I will definitely be doing on the MTB although this year gravel bikes are permitted on the long ride (can't imagine descending Rooiberg on a gravel bike with 200km in the legs).

The Around the Pot ride has a few km of single track that varies in condition depending on the weather etc which makes the MTB my choice there.

I would say on a gravel bike the best thing a person can do is fit the biggest Cinturato M's you can get in the frame.

If you just want to see if you like gravel, chuck a 36 or 38 on the mtb and go race. You will likely be more comfortable that way. I think Gravel bikes are faster, if you are gravel bike fit, they do hammer you a bit more, you do have to ride a bit more carefully on narrower tyres etc. But starting out I would just change the chainring and go see if you have fun on your mtb. If you enjoy then you can have a look at a few gravel bikes and start deciding for yourself.

I have found myself in the same scenario BUT did own a gravelbike( Trek Checkpoint which i really enjoyed) that i sold thinking i would 'experiment" with a different option. So i bought a carbon hardtail that came with a rigid fork and build it up with all the carbon bits from my Topfuel and added a 38T to the mix . So far this bike is my do-it-all piece of equipment and found that the more time a spent riding it on various surfaces , i have more confidence to enter any race . I have done a few gravel races and can honestly say i have found the right bike for me even hanging on at the back of some serious local gravel racing talent . 

If you can , approach your lbs and ask them if they have a demo gravelbike in your size then put it to task. If not convinved , do some clever upgrades on your hardtail and then ride it until you see the need/benefit to transition to a gravelbike  ....my 2c

Just my 2C

Ride a lot of the roads of the RvR as its where i live.  take into account that its planting season for the grain farmers, that means a lot of traffic on those district roads. lots of loose sand and corrugation due to trucks transporting seed and fertilizers. rode a section that the 100miler will ride after Piketberg on their way back and i can promise you a gravel bike will get bogged down. 

each to his own i guess. I am opting for skinnier tires on the mtb with a 36/38 chainring and hoping i will be able to match the pace aswell as glide over the not to nice surfaces.

when the road permits I do believe nothing beats a gravel bike. but if the road does not permit nothing rides k@kker than a gravel bike

Edited by no calves
Spelling

9 minutes ago, no calves said:

when the road permits I do believe nothing beats a gravel bike. but if the road does not permit nothing rides k@kker than a gravel bike

🤣

1 hour ago, no calves said:

From a previous gravel bike owner - I can attest to this. Most district roads in SA has quite a lot of corrugation, which is not lekker on a gravel bike. It is loads of fun and fast if the roads permit. I had two pair of wheels for my gravel bike and used it both as a road and gravel bike. Perhaps consider something similar unless you really like your aero road bike.

6 minutes ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

From a previous gravel bike owner - I can attest to this. Most district roads in SA has quite a lot of corrugation, which is not lekker on a gravel bike. It is loads of fun and fast if the roads permit. I had two pair of wheels for my gravel bike and used it both as a road and gravel bike. Perhaps consider something similar unless you really like your aero road bike.

Quite honestly i think gravel is RSA will fade. Purely due to our district roads not being maintained. The way things are going we will need 140mm "road" bikes to tackle our tarred roads soon....

Personally, if you want to make an MTB faster don't bother with narrower tyres. Nino rides 2.4" mostly and he seems pretty fast to me. Rather focus on getting fast tyres, as in, low rolling resistance. Think Thunder Burt, RaceKing, etc. Secondly, get your position down low and narrower. Speed is determined more by tyre rolling resistance and aero issues than by tyre width or suspension to the best of my knowledge. 

2 hours ago, no calves said:

Just my 2C

Ride a lot of the roads of the RvR as its where i live.  take into account that its planting season for the grain farmers, that means a lot of traffic on those district roads. lots of loose sand and corrugation due to trucks transporting seed and fertilizers. rode a section that the 100miler will ride after Piketberg on their way back and i can promise you a gravel bike will get bogged down. 

each to his own i guess. I am opting for skinnier tires on the mtb with a 36/38 chainring and hoping i will be able to match the pace aswell as glide over the not to nice surfaces.

yup, this knowledge is so important to have.

Sandveld dirt roads seem to vary from immaculate and fast to softy, boggy and slow, to hardpacked like choppy concrete and downright painful on a gravel bike. and if it's none of those, it's corrugated and hateful

29 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

Personally, if you want to make an MTB faster don't bother with narrower tyres. Nino rides 2.4" mostly and he seems pretty fast to me. Rather focus on getting fast tyres, as in, low rolling resistance. Think Thunder Burt, RaceKing, etc. Secondly, get your position down low and narrower. Speed is determined more by tyre rolling resistance and aero issues than by tyre width or suspension to the best of my knowledge. 

Back in the 26" days Vredenstein used to make a Killer Bee tread. those things were ridiculous... I was freewheeling away from people I my slip coming into Hankey on Transbaviaans

7 hours ago, Mark6363 said:

I'm one of those that just slapped a rigid fork and 2.1 tires on my Hardtail. I don't even have drop bars cause I don't want to buy a new groupo. Only place you suffer more than the others is on the tar IF they decide to make the pace so hot that you can't keep up because you just can't pedal fast enough. You actually better off with the MTB on the gravel on the roads we ride on.

Also why are you doing these events? If you have a specific goal in mind that you absolutely need to get every bit of advantage you can get then go buy a top of the range Gravel bike and smash it! Otherwise your Trek is actually perfect. If you have some change put 2.1 tires on (or really worn MTB tires) and if you really want to, get a rigid fork. Spending R5k vs a new bike seems to me like a better deal.

Caveat: I do not own a gravel bike and have never ridden one so I can't give an objective answer but hopefully some info here could be useful. Maybe one day I'll buy one, who knows.