Is this bike worth it?

ycowley

26 minutes ago, Akon said:

Ja... ja... You drive a hard deal!

I was about to post about that - it was far better specced though, and a newer model 😉.

OP, it is a good bike, if in good nick, but not vintage yet, so offer R3k and walk away if not accepted.

You must be smoking something, R3k for a full carbon bike with Ultegra? 

How can you compare Mongoose man's aluminium bike with this carbon bike. 

Not sure what parts were on the bike, but if they were standard, the aluminum version came out with Tiagra. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Eugene said:

You must be smoking something, R3k for a full carbon bike with Ultegra? 

How can you compare Mongoose man's aluminium bike with this carbon bike. 

Not sure what parts were on the bike, but if they were standard, the aluminum version came out with Tiagra. 

No, the one I got had the same Ultegra groupset as this carbon one.

Seller expectation and buyer suggestions both seem optimistic. LOL 

There's probably a suitable compromise midway between R3-11k.

As Eugene has mentioned. This bike is reasonably priced.

you’d also battle to find a frame for R10k thats reasonable. 

For such an old bike I always try to break it up in main components and guessing what I will get if I have to sell it individually here on Bike hub (which became quite difficult nowadays....)

So here my take (as mainly a roadie and 14 years Bikehub member) for what's its worth...😜

Frame : R2500 - R3000

Groupset : R1700 - R2200

Wheels : R800 - R1100

Rest of bike : R 500 - R650... (stuff like saddle; stem; bar; bar tape; cables etc. - actually zero Hub value due to age \ outdated, but you still need it to have a complete bike...)

So depending on condition, I would say in the reason of R6000😎

Edited by Mongoose!

As Eugene said, this is the Raleigh Team bike, which was a high end bike at the time of it's release. The Microsoft Pro team rode these bike on the pro tour, but this specific one was clearly down specced, as the original ones came out with ZIPP 404 (or 303 wheels, not  sure now) and Dura Ace components, which was the bargain buy of the day. Raleigh clearly specced it like this to gain a foothold in the top end of the market.

I would say for the frame alone, this is a good buy, as you can up spec it with better wheels and a modern drivetrain, and still have a decent and stiff bike. Most pundits does not realise what a good frame this is. You can however make a counter offer at a slightly reduced price.

Edited by Wannabe

On 5/12/2023 at 2:34 PM, ycowley said:

I asked the seller condition and he says great condition, no accidents.

Funny but he cannot tell me the age of the bike!

image.png.461ccbd7097a3e8eccac74d183277345.png

He can't tell you the age, 99% likely because he is a reseller who knows nothing about the bike (and probably close to nothing about bikes in general) 

12 hours ago, Wannabe said:

As Eugene said, this is the Raleigh Team bike, which was a high end bike at the time of it's release. The Microsoft Pro team rode these bike on the pro tour,

...well, that is not very accurate information 🤭

Nope. Raleigh spec'ed these frames with 105 and Ultegra

The RC9000 (which was not a full carbon frame) was the team bike used by Microsoft - but few years earlier to this bike. 

4 hours ago, Mongoose! said:

The RC9000 (which was not a full carbon frame) was the team bike used by Microsoft - but few years earlier to this bike. 

I beg to differ.

There was was a lot of hype around the RC Team version, as the Zipp's and the Dura Ace groupset was worth more than what the whole bike sold for. Rest of the components was Dedacciai, so it was top specced. People bought the bikes just to acquire these components, lots of frames was floating around. A friend of mine owned one of these bikes and I rode it, so I know from first hand experience. I drooled over this bike.

RC Team, top tier with Dura Ace

RC9000, same frame, Ultegra groupset and lower spec components.

RC7000, same frame, alu fork, 105 groupset, and so it trickled down.

RC3000, etc was alu frames. I had an RC3000 with Tiagra groupset.

Edited by Wannabe

The Dura Ace bike you referring from this era was yellow and blue

1 hour ago, Wannabe said:

I beg to differ.

There was was a lot of hype around the RC Team version, as the Zipp's and the Dura Ace groupset was worth more than what the whole bike sold for. Rest of the components was Dedacciai, so it was top specced. People bought the bikes just to acquire these components, lots of frames was floating around. A friend of mine owned one of these bikes and I rode it, so I know from first hand experience. I drooled over this bike.

The Dura Ace 7800 ; Zipp 404 bike was the LTD version (yellow and dark blue)...

9 hours ago, Mongoose! said:

I disagree with you. There was a yellow and blue version, specced with Dura Ace and Zipp wheels. Exact frame, just different colours. 

There was also a blue and black version with Ultegra. 

The 105 version was a completely different frame (lower end). This frame carried over to when Raleigh's name changed to Axis in SA (another story for another day). 

Edited by Eugene

5 hours ago, Wannabe said:

I beg to differ.

RC7000 had Ultegra and RC6000C had 105. 

The RC9000 name was dropped for this time period when they went carbon on their top models. 

Edited by Eugene

On 5/12/2023 at 8:11 PM, Eugene said:

That's a 2008 Raleigh Team. 

There was a problem with the 2007 carbon models in that they were cracking at the chain stays. This frame, in this colour, was brought out specifically as a recall replacement for the 2007 models. 

It is made by Dedacciai, who manufactures high end frames. 

Personally, considering what you pay for bikes nowadays, I think the price is reasonable. 

You are getting a full carbon frame, which in its day was high end and an Ultegra groupset. 

some reference adverts

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/146810/raleigh-team-microsoft-limited-edition

5yrs old and !nkumal#$ed

current and frame only

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bike-frames/495345/raleigh-team-microsoft-ltd

5 hours ago, Shebeen said:

This is a 2006 aluminum frame. Completely different to the one under discussion. 

I've been watching that add with interest. The seller is delusional. He has dropped his price significantly over time and it is still over priced.