CSA introduces National Road Cycling Series

DroppedRider

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, DroppedRider said:

I hope they did not just group all the road races in October together and now calling it a series.  I love that its all within like a month so you can have a season of road cycling then get back on your MTB for summer. 

What I am hoping for: 

1. Series prizes at the conclusion of the Amashova - even for Amateurs

2. Series Table points available online even for Amateur riders. I want to be that Mamil who can go to group rides and boast that I am ranked 564th best amateur national road rider in the country 

3. Cycling club table points for the series

4. Full Road closure for the above events to attract amateurs like me ( I can dream)

5. Supersport live broadcasts like what they did for the Comrades 

Someone make it happen. This could bring some exposure for for Road Cycling considering the dwindling race numbers. 

One can dream.....

The purpose of this limited series is to test the concept see what works what does not work - 2024 will be a full-on series.

The cycling club table is a good idea too.

After some pondering I'm wondering if we are not all discussing a League, while this is advertised as a Series. Maybe CSA is using the terms interchangeably, who knows, but a Series could be hosted without an overarching points system and still be successful.

If CSA could standardise and significantly raise the level of a few aspects of racing it might be worth while. I'm thinking:

• Marketing and hype
  • Live coverage
  • Road safety
  • Prize money

17 hours ago, DroppedRider said:

Inclusive Participation: The National Road Cycling Series is committed to promoting inclusivity and encouraging participation from cyclists of all levels. Amateur cyclists will have the opportunity to compete alongside elite athletes in certain events, fostering a sense of unity and inspiration within the cycling community.

I have an issue with this part............
To promote cycling as a SPORT.....like in Europe and USA for instance......
Surely you have to have it for Elite level only?  Involving amateurs (us) will mean that there will NOT be full road closure (because we take the whole day to finish a 100km route).  Just not practical.

So CSA takes a couple of races that already exist, already have organizers, already have sponsors and logistics etc, band them together and call it their series.
WTF................

9 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

So CSA takes a couple of races that already exist, already have organizers, already have sponsors and logistics etc, band them together and call it their series.

Yeah, they really have not said anything about the Series or what they as an organisation will bring to the table.

15 hours ago, Zebra said:

…interesting that they included the ‘Race of Truth’, since that seems a 10-person TEAM event, but maybe more info to follow?

(I had thought it might have been a 20 - 40km individual team-trial, but alas, not…)

Was also wondering about that - not sure how you are going to fit in a team TT event with a series of individual events. It is a bit hard to figure out exactly what they are trying to achieve here but lets see...

11 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Was also wondering about that - not sure how you are going to fit in a team TT event with a series of individual events. It is a bit hard to figure out exactly what they are trying to achieve here but lets see...

Agreed. I actually think just ONE TT in a 'set' (series) of 6-odd races would actually make sense, and get some hype going. Then, R10K for a 10-man team, or rather, R970 per rider for the one race, could make this series expensive? 

I do think anything called 'a race of truth' should be individual, not team, and 20-40km, and not....190km, but JUST my 5c!

18 minutes ago, Zebra said:

[...] or rather, R970 per rider for the one race, could make this series expensive?

Entry fees will be eclipsed by travel and accommodation costs for anyone wanting to do 5 out of 6 of these races.

We had to update it - my mistake. When WC gave us their races they removed the Boland race but I removed the wrong one - so no TTT, the correct race is the Boland 100 miler. Apology for the confusion.

More info on the categories and points will follow soon.

Your comments are appreciated you can also forward it to road@cyclingsa.com and any money you want to sponsor for the series (joke)🫥

356014384_638350658318279_587127355605358253_n.jpg

That makes more sense

EDIT... erm wait this just raises more questions with 2 events on same day.
Also the dates on this image and dates here are different: https://www.cyclingsa.com/national-road-cycling-series/

13 minutes ago, Zeffer said:

We had to update it - my mistake. When WC gave us their races they removed the Boland race but I removed the wrong one - so no TTT, the correct race is the Boland 100 miler. Apology for the confusion.

More info on the categories and points will follow soon.

Your comments are appreciated you can also forward it to road@cyclingsa.com and any money you want to sponsor for the series (joke)🫥

356014384_638350658318279_587127355605358253_n.jpg

Edited by WaldoZ

8 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

That makes more sense

EDIT... erm wait this just raises more questions with 2 events on same day.
Also the dates on this image and dates here are different: https://www.cyclingsa.com/national-road-cycling-series/

Noted

Satellite Classic (spelling) is 07 Oct.

Two race same weekend in opposite sides of the country makes it possible for both north and south to score points on the log - we will see how it works and the attendance.

2 minutes ago, Zeffer said:

Noted

Two race same weekend in opposite sides of the country makes it possible for both north and south to score points on the log - we will see how it works and the attendance.

There are 2 cases like that, 7/8 Oct scenario and then 2 races on same day 22nd Oct which could be a decider depending on how points works.

I am merely interested in this and can't see myself traveling for all this. Any bit of excitement added is welcome and a series def has potential.

2 hours ago, Zeffer said:

Noted

Sorry if I missed it.  Do you work for CSA?

11 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

I have an issue with this part............
To promote cycling as a SPORT.....like in Europe and USA for instance......
Surely you have to have it for Elite level only?  Involving amateurs (us) will mean that there will NOT be full road closure (because we take the whole day to finish a 100km route).  Just not practical.

WTF................

Indeed, good marketing spin for the gullible though....