[Event] Old Hermon Gravel Ride

Abby.F

23 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

I'm keen to enter but with the weather being so unpredictable I'm a little unsure whether I should use my hardtail or the gravel bike. I see the entry portal wants you to specify whether you're entering as an "Individual" or a "Gravel bike". That a rather an unusual option to have to chose from and doesn't leave you with much wiggle room on the day 🙄 Guess it won't matter much either way for a mid packer.

I don’t recall seeing this option when I entered.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Entered.
Fingers crossed for dry roads.
1.4km at -11% on gravel sounds scary enough as it is! 😱

I'm in as well. Now to watch the weather forecast intensely for the next 9 days and hope another cold front doesn't batter us that weekend #gatvolofwinter

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

Entered.

Where do you see this?

4 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Where do you see this?

The Strava route is on the website, and this is the details of the downhill segment that starts when we leave the smooth Bainskloof tar behind.

7 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

The Strava route is on the website, and this is the details of the downhill segment that starts when we leave the smooth Bainskloof tar behind.

Okay I think it’s a bit deceptive then as I don’t recall it being that steep but maybe my memory eludes me. That downhill stretch is a bit uneven and bumpy though and if you’re on a gravel bike then depending on your skill level or can be a bit sketchy. If you’re on a mountain bike you can fly down there but definitely take caution. 

i will say though that bar that small section, nothing else on the route was remotely technical in any way. So yeah, just take caution for that 1km and after that is smooth sailing again. 

ahah that downhill is hectic, especially after heavy rains, there will be ruts really willing to send you over the bars. Regardless, nos matter how bad the conditions are a gravel bike is the tool for the job. The time you'lll "lose" on the descent will be gained quickly on the rest of the course

37 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

[...] if you’re on a gravel bike then depending on your skill [...]

Roadie skills on a gravel bike, reporting for duty sir. 🫡

50 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Seriously considering this , don’t see entry cut off on website though?

[FACEBOOK PAGE]  · 

Time is running out—entries for the Old Hermon Gravel Ride close on Monday, 19 August. But don’t worry if you miss the deadline! Late entries will be available from 20 August. Secure your spot now and gear up for an incredible day on the gravel! ⛰️
22km: R320 (Late entry fee: R370)
45km: R450 (Late entry fee: R550)
82km: R550 (Late entry fee: R650)

27 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Roadie skills on a gravel bike, reporting for duty sir. 🫡

Yeah then just take it easy down there. It’s not really the steepness that’s the issue. The road surface is bad so very uneven and like jbr said will be very rutted. Regardless, it’s just a small section of the race and any time you lose to the mtb’ers there will be made up quite quickly on the rest of the course. 

3 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Entered.

Bailed on this section last year...

10 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

Weather looks like it’s turning for Saturday! Some rain on the cards

Not ideal, the drizzle nor the gusting.
image.png.9c95eef0a95c0f79cff623adf654a84b.png