Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

This downhill looks harmless but I was convinced I was going to die. With the amount of mud on my tyres I had zero traction - both front and back brakes gripped for dear life, and yet gravity won

Great pics.

But on a seriaaaas note.......upgrade your brakes if your are going to do Magoebas on a regular basis. Friend of mine that stays there also had cantilevers. He reached speeds of more than 60km/h on downhills.......and had the smell of burning rubber up his nostrils. Can go through a set of blokkies in one go. Also, that type of mud and cantilevers only work the first few km's, thereafter you hold on, pick line and pray :-).

Now spread the word about the place.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pics.

But on a seriaaaas note.......upgrade your brakes if your are going to do Magoebas on a regular basis. Friend of mine that stays there also had cantilevers. He reached speeds of more than 60km/h on downhills.......and had the smell of burning rubber up his nostrils. Can go through a set of blokkies in one go. Also, that type of mud and cantilevers only work the first few km's, thereafter you hold on, pick line and pray :-).

Now spread the word about the place.

I need a new bike, never mind just upgrading my brakes. Suspension would have come in very handy over some of those bumps :-)

I doubt I will go back that often though - it's a tad far - but I would love to try those trails again when it's dry. On the Saturday we did a random ride around 10km and it felt good - I was rather brave and even managed to careen down some paths without abusing my brakes, but on Monday in the wet, just could not get comfortable, had no confidence, felt like I was slipping and sliding even on flats. I tell you the lesson I learned in the fundamentals course on how to handle rear wheel slides came in very handy.

Some of my casual riding buddies saw some of the pics on twitter, maybe we'll arrange another road trip soon (After my bike upgrade - I think I've earned it by now)

Foot of Chapman's Peak, Hout Bay, sunrise.

post-12015-0-35736600-1384365894_thumb.jpg

The only other time to rival the beauty of Chapmans Peak might be sunset!

Come to think of it, I must try it on a full moon night. (My own Moonlight Mass?)

Edited by DJR

The only other time to rival the beauty of Chapmans Peak might be sunset!

Come to think of it, I must try it on a full moon night. (My own Moonlight Mass?)

I'll join you then :thumbup: