Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

That's where those okes were riding.

Nope, they are going left at the top - and over playgrounds, right is the DH line.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

Some were riding.

Where are we supposed to pay? Oke at the gate was not interested.

He's supposed to direct you to the reception for permits. Trails are blown out which makes this just that bit more annoying to hear.

He's supposed to direct you to the reception for permits. Trails are blown out which makes this just that bit more annoying to hear.

kief, will pay 2x next time then. And will see if any mates are in signage to try arrange on to be put up 

Cool. So did you guys all buy permits? Went riding late arvo and the not braking in corners etiquette was definitely left at the cars.

Good thing we cut the trails open Friday after work. Growth was getting into the line quite a bit.

Yeah, as Thermo said, the oke was not interested in the slightest, and that's where I've always paid in the past. 

Can't speak for others, but I know there was no braking in the corners from this grom. 

Nope, they are going left at the top - and over playgrounds, right is the DH line.

Both left and right. A Line and others. Doesn't matter though. We who knew of the R 25 fee were making a point of it to ensure people knew to pay, but when we were turned away at the gate... 

What's the deal with building/rehab there?

Can anyone head over play. More so in the upper first quarry section seeing as it's already an environmental disaster anyway?

So much potential for some other lines up there too.

There an upside to all of this. You okes will have to lay off the high horse for a while regarding rogue riding.

Good thing I've never had any high stance on rogue riding  :thumbup:

There an upside to all of this. You okes will have to lay off the high horse for a while regarding rogue riding.

yeah, it's a problem if the point at which you've always paid now isn't interested and doesn't point you towards the new pay point. 

I'll own it though. Buy 2 permits when I go again this weekend. 

Can anyone head over play. More so in the upper first quarry section seeing as it's already an environmental disaster anyway?

Nico has a good relationship with the land owners and has received some funding for trail work from ppa in the past. He's the de facto trail boss. The work has been done by Bennett and Shaun. He gets input from respected riders such as Myles Kelsey and Rika on the DH line. On the other stuff he takes his own lead and gets advice from plebs like me. He's done a trip to France so he knows good trail.

Thankfully the lighties that built dangerous/stupid stuff in the past have stopped riding or bred so their hands are full with children.

Summer is not the time to build but if you have an idea and an inclination to build speak to nico

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Nico has a good relationship with the land owners and has received some funding for trail work from ppa in the past. The work has been done by Bennett and Shaun.

Thankfully the lighties that built dangerous/stupid stuff in the past have stopped riding or bred so their hands are full with children.

Just remember that without what us normal peeps would consider dangerous/stupid there'd be very little progression in any extreme sport.

Will chat to Nico if/when we consider it. Maybe he has some rad ideas in wait as well.

Edited by Thermophage

At the moment Taalmonument indulges a few of us maintaining the existing network of trails which includes managing the fynbos and doing minor repairs.  A few guys also build a bit, but I stay clear since I'm no builder.  We're mostly now just looking from some rake and ride options - there are two that are ridiculously fun and come winter will be open hopefully.

Bottom line is, you can't just go on the trails and build, and it's something we police amongst ourselves, but on the other hand, some general maintenance assistance is always welcome.

Taalmonument pays for maintenance every now and again, but there are some plans afoot that would change the whole dynamic of the place.  In my opinion, for the better, but some may not take it that well.

With regard to the clay quarry aka Playgrounds, it's a bit of a free for all.  Still Taalmonument managed land, so official line is stay away, but people build what they want when they want, but 90% of the time the lines have been a joke and just get left unridden once these heroes realise they're not Kyle Strait and they're balls are 7 sizes too small for what they just built.  Or sometimes it's just too dangerous to ride.

So basically, it would be awesome if a shuttle group could take their first runs and dedicate it to just sussing out the trails for branches and growth and just clean it a bit as they go.  It took me and a mate 90 minutes Friday arvo to open that bridge line which was starting to look ragged with branches everywhere.  Would take a shuttle group of twenty one run.

Stoked everyone is enjoying the trails though.  Let's hope for some rain.

At the moment Taalmonument indulges a few of us maintaining the existing network of trails which includes managing the fynbos and doing minor repairs.  A few guys also build a bit, but I stay clear since I'm no builder.  We're mostly now just looking from some rake and ride options - there are two that are ridiculously fun and come winter will be open hopefully.

Bottom line is, you can't just go on the trails and build, and it's something we police amongst ourselves, but on the other hand, some general maintenance assistance is always welcome.

Taalmonument pays for maintenance every now and again, but there are some plans afoot that would change the whole dynamic of the place.  In my opinion, for the better, but some may not take it that well.

With regard to the clay quarry aka Playgrounds, it's a bit of a free for all.  Still Taalmonument managed land, so official line is stay away, but people build what they want when they want, but 90% of the time the lines have been a joke and just get left unridden once these heroes realise they're not Kyle Strait and they're balls are 7 sizes too small for what they just built.  Or sometimes it's just too dangerous to ride.

So basically, it would be awesome if a shuttle group could take their first runs and dedicate it to just sussing out the trails for branches and growth and just clean it a bit as they go.  It took me and a mate 90 minutes Friday arvo to open that bridge line which was starting to look ragged with branches everywhere.  Would take a shuttle group of twenty one run.

Dude...after riding these this weekend I can tell you there were MANY okes who'd be willing to assist.

So perhaps arrange something and put it out (to a few peeps) when the time comes and we could go ahead and surely do a lot of maintenance in a day with 10 okes.

That place really deserves more love and credit...and perhaps even a few larger features...now that I managed the road gap :P

Consider it done. Myself and Luke had machetes, just in case we needed to do just that in some places. Going there this weekend again, and will make sure to take it down on my first run. Also ask the guys I'm with to keep an eye out for anything in the way that ISN'T a feature.