Year model is important folks!!

440MTB

Bit late on a Friday... but thought I'd start up a typical "get your panties in a bunch Friday thread", so here goes... 😁🙃

I'm not sure how you guys feel... but I personally get EXTREMELY annoyed when sellers put bikes up as a year model which it definitely isn't...

I personally experienced this with a Scott Spark 910 that was sold to me as a 2019 (granted, I was ignorant/over eager, and didn't do enough research, so can't blame anyone other than myself for buying it...), and later when I tried selling it again, I realized it's actually a 2017 model, which bit me in the rear-end, and Iost a fair bit more than I thought I would've, because I had to now try sell a bike that was 2 years older than I initially thought... 😖🫣

I recently noticed a few bikes being sold as newer models than what they actually are... to you sirs, and or madams doing this... BE LEKKER please, don't be crooks, it's really not too difficult doing a bit of googling to make sure you've got the year model listed. 💩🫵

So with that said... have at thee! ☠️💋

...and have a GREAT weekend! 🤙😎

Cheers! 

Edited by 440MTB

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@dasilvarsa In my opinion the year the bike was manufactured/released, is the year model... I feel it would be fair for the seller to state "2021 model, but first sold in 2022" or whatever... but don't call a 2021 model a 2023 model, that's just wrong. :lol:

@Rudii - I agree with what @Barry said - year models are depicted (99% of the time), by the frame design/geometry & more importantly, the colour schemes... this is exactly how I figured out my "2019" Spark 910, was actually a 2017, as I couldn't find any images of 2019 models in the same colours, only on 2017 models.

Also, whether you put a 2023 Golf GTI engine & drivetrain in a 1998 Mk1 Golf, it's still a 1998 Mk1 Golf. 😁 Granted the selling price would be adjusted (which is fine), but it's still a 1998 Mk1 after all...

Edited by 440MTB

9 minutes ago, Rudii said:

To add to the discussion: How do you date a bike that has been upgraded? I have a 2017 Spark 910 but drivetrain is 2022 XT 12spd. Is the frame date the overriding factor?

Maybe a neo retro build. But still a 2017.

This argument is kind of moot for boutique brands who dont update their frames every year. So for intance….do you own a 2019 bike (first release, but still the latest version) in 2023 or do you own a 2023 bike because you bought it NIB mint sauce in 2023?

moral of the story….buy less mass produced bikes? 😅

Edited by MORNE

2 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

2017 and 2019 Spark is Zacary the Same Frame.

Except for Colour and Components it's the same bike ++ Price.

But the fact that it's two years older, definitely has an impact on resale value/appeal to potential buyers, regardless whether the specs are the same. More wear on everything... two years extra on a bike is the difference between mint, and heavily worn out (especially if ridden often and not maintained well).

2 minutes ago, 440MTB said:

@MORNE  Away with thee and your COTIC elitism... 😛🤣

Jokes aside, I get what you're saying... same with PYGA... Hyrax is Hyrax. 😉

My cotic as you know is booked for rocket surgery (pun intended). I was referring to my Banshee🤣

was that a douche move?

23 minutes ago, MORNE said:

My cotic as you know is booked for rocket surgery (pun intended). I was referring to my Banshee🤣

was that a douche move?

COTIC & BANSHEE elitist agent!! Here I am with my cheapie "mass produced" bike... 🤣💩

Edited by 440MTB

8 minutes ago, 440MTB said:

Next time you crash... don't mind the FiveTen footprint on your back... I don't know where that came from... 🤣🤣😁

Ill never crash in front of you, im too slow…