Anything from Cool Heat

Eugene

10 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

This is actually mental. Visually testing whether the crank is affected. Complete shiteshow from Shimano this.

Been a shimano fan most of my life but this recall story is really dissolving their rep 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: my crank has gone to CH for decision. Visible signs of corrosion and raised edges where the two halves join. It doesn’t quite meet the pending failure requirements of Shimano. Either way. , I’m done with their brand and products. Likely I’ll be roadbikeless for another week. Now with a class action law suit filed this SS is going to drag out longer.

Edited by DieselnDust

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Update: my crank has gone to CH for decision. Visible signs of corrosion and raised edges where the two halves join. It doesn’t quite meet the pending failure requirements of Shimano. Either way. , I’m done with their brand and products. Likely I’ll be roadbikeless for another week. Now with a class action law suit filed this SS is going to drag out longer.

Who is actually inspecting the cranks in South Africa? And how are these people even qualified? Surely CH don’t employ engineers. This is just so bad from Shimano. Laughable!

2 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Who is actually inspecting the cranks in South Africa? And how are these people even qualified? Surely CH don’t employ engineers. This is just so bad from Shimano. Laughable!

They have given the LBS guidelines and s procedure. Hence my lbs said they’re not going to make the decision. He feels it should be replaced but would rather let CH make the decision. Rightfully so because they then take on the liability if it fails. 

2 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Been a shimano fan most of my life but this recall story is really dissolving their rep 

I’m too poor to afford anything more than 105; at least new. The DA groupset on my one road bike is the good old 7800 groupset, on a 2007 bike. 

Perhaps get Wendy Knowler involved. Was listening to her on 702 yesterday while driving home.

I think the email is consumer@knowler.co.za

She’s very knowledgable in all things consumer protection act

I just don’t get how they can reasonably pass the admin (and essentially the responsibility) on to the bike shops?

Imagine the time the bike shops now have to spend trying to inspect cranks, and make a call on whether they’re safe or not. When they had nothing to do with the manufacturing process. And if they say it’s fine and then something happens, who then assumes that risk?

And even if they don’t want to make the call and plan to pass it on to CH - there is additional admin involved in shipping the cranks back and forth. It’s honestly a joke.

If I was a bike shop I would not be impressed… but maybe I’m misunderstanding the process.

50 minutes ago, Spookie said:

I just don’t get how they can reasonably pass the admin (and essentially the responsibility) on to the bike shops?

Imagine the time the bike shops now have to spend trying to inspect cranks, and make a call on whether they’re safe or not. When they had nothing to do with the manufacturing process. And if they say it’s fine and then something happens, who then assumes that risk?

And even if they don’t want to make the call and plan to pass it on to CH - there is additional admin involved in shipping the cranks back and forth. It’s honestly a joke.

If I was a bike shop I would not be impressed… but maybe I’m misunderstanding the process.

You’re not misunderstanding. And the bike shops are not impressed. The whole process takes about 90min/ now imagine getting 100 customers dropping by to have their cranks checked!!

And hence the class action suit in the USA. There’s too much wiggle room for Shimano to walk away from liability. I feel for the shops 

Mine was inspected by my LBS who said there were no signs of any issues, but they did take photos and sent them to cool heat. So that's that. I don't think I would feel comfortable with anything other than a replacement though. I don't blame my LBS in any way, they are just following the guidance. But I don't really see how some cranks are OK and some are not if they're the exact same model and made with the exact same tech. Maybe mine will never fail but I don't want to find out that I was wrong about that on the way down helshoogte.

On the plus side this has coincided with me getting a smart indoor trainer so I think that bike might be "put out to pasture" anyway. If I'm going to break a crank, it may as well be in my living room.

17 minutes ago, Mongoose! said:

Does a "new crank" mean: crank arms AND chain rings, or only the crank arms?🤔

It’s a complete replacement crankset. 
as for the Stages, they checked that crank arm but ruled it out as having signs of a problem. The consistency of my power data suggests this is the case anyway but I’ll have a wildly mismatched crankset now so I’ll see what stages says . At the moment it’s crickets on that front.

5 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

It’s a complete replacement crankset. 
as for the Stages, they checked that crank arm but ruled it out as having signs of a problem. The consistency of my power data suggests this is the case anyway but I’ll have a wildly mismatched crankset now so I’ll see what stages says . At the moment it’s crickets on that front.

4iii issued a statement, if I remember correctly. Surprised Stages hasn't said anything on that front...

https://4iiii.com/press-releases/shimano-safety-notice/
Now this begs the question, does one take the risk and buy a second hand crank based power meter?

Edited by Mtree
Question...

Please excuse my ignorance but is the replacement crank also "hallowtech" technology?

If so, seems like the same problem will arise within a matter of years