Options options options

RobertWhitehead

I have a carbon HT frame I'm keen to turn into a gravel bike. This will be for resale not to keep for myself.

Which option in your opinion will be best: 

1) Bull horn bars with mtb shifters and brakes (hydraulic) 

2) Gravel bars with STIs and cable disc calipers? 

I have just about everything needed for option 1 but I am also a purest and don't want to build something that's going to be, well, rubbish 😁

Flat bar HT with a rigid fork should theoretically appeal to guys currently riding their FS mtb on gravel type roads who feel more comfortable with flat bar setups.

Likewise it's a great intro bike for anyone getting into the sport. The position on a flat bar bike can definitely be more confidence inspiring that a road bike setup. 

There's a huge gap in the SA market with very few hybrid bikes and people being forced to rather ride road bikes. Because let's face it, riding a mtb on the road is crap 😆

Edited by NC_lurker
Context

Interesting dilemma the OP has .

am in a similar position and going to follow this

I have a build up On One steel frame running 1 x 11 with a suspension fork.

Itching to do something with it .

considering a monster cross build as I have a ht and a full suss  and a road bike .

but then thinking if I fit a set of gravel tyres and leave it as it is I would save a lot of money and I will have the same effect as on a gravel bike . I am long past racing and prefer comfort to speed . 
except a gravel bike look is so cool 😇

Edited by Prince Albert Cycles

Damn it .... now you've put an idea in my head 😏

I have some 'bullhorn' bars, a failed idea for my commuter bike ... spare hydraulic brakes, 10sp shifters and a frame

I have a fork, not rigid but what the heck it's only for mucking around 😎

I think an option 1 bike would be a hard sell but who knows?

Scrap that idea ... just remembered why I didn't try this kind of option long time ago ... it's a mission (i.e. I didn't get it to work) to get mtb shifters and brakes mounted on what is essentially a cut down road bar ... it's a different diameter

Anyway if there's a solution I'm all 👂👂

Screenshot_20231101_070557_Chrome~2.jpg

1 hour ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Scrap that idea ... just remembered why I didn't try this kind of option long time ago ... it's a mission (i.e. I didn't get it to work) to get mtb shifters and brakes mounted on what is essentially a cut down road bar ... it's a different diameter

Anyway if there's a solution I'm all 👂👂

Screenshot_20231101_070557_Chrome~2.jpg

The best solution for bull horns are TT/bar end shifters and a set of brakes with a 2 screw clamp, like the old formula and magura levers.

10 speed SRAM pulls the same ratio and 10 Speed Shimano TT pulls a shimano 9 speed MTB RD pretty cleanly.

Or just use the road stuff and an extender (I know you have one of those!)

I’m in a similar conundrum myself. Currently have a hardtail and loved all the gravel races this year. I really do think the sport is going to grow exponentially.

My dilemma is. If I were to add a third bike should I get a gravel bike or a full sus? If I go full sus, I can then essentially convert the hardtail into gravel bike and then use the full sus for all mtb related things. Or do I just keep the hardtail and just get a proper gravel bike one time?

Where am i going to sacrifice or gain the most? I really enjoy all disciplines as it stands. I do feel that the full sus will maybe allow me to do more varied terrain. At the same time though, a gravel specific bike is going to faster in the gravel races. How much can I close this gap by converting the hardtail to drop bars? Quite the conundrum this.

23 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I’m in a similar conundrum myself. Currently have a hardtail and loved all the gravel races this year. I really do think the sport is going to grow exponentially.

My dilemma is. If I were to add a third bike should I get a gravel bike or a full sus? If I go full sus, I can then essentially convert the hardtail into gravel bike and then use the full sus for all mtb related things. Or do I just keep the hardtail and just get a proper gravel bike one time?

Where am i going to sacrifice or gain the most? I really enjoy all disciplines as it stands. I do feel that the full sus will maybe allow me to do more varied terrain. At the same time though, a gravel specific bike is going to faster in the gravel races. How much can I close this gap by converting the hardtail to drop bars? Quite the conundrum this.

Sell the hardtail, buy a full suss and a gravel bike?

17 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Sell the hardtail, buy a full suss and a gravel bike?

Don’t wanna get rid of the frame I have so not an option. Should have specified that in my post.

56 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

The best solution for bull horns are TT/bar end shifters and a set of brakes with a 2 screw clamp, like the old formula and magura levers.

10 speed SRAM pulls the same ratio and 10 Speed Shimano TT pulls a shimano 9 speed MTB RD pretty cleanly.

Or just use the road stuff and an extender (I know you have one of those!)

Thanks Chewie!

*goes on a brake quest*

The rest I do have ... yes even the bar end shifters 👀

3 minutes ago, droo said:

When converting HT to gravel, check reach numbers. Drop bars on a MTB frame can end up quite long since they're designed for short stems and flat bars.

Yeah, I’ll have to get a shorter stem to compensate but ill do the maths before i commit.

3 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Don’t wanna get rid of the frame I have so not an option. Should have specified that in my post.

I've built a lot of bikes. A lot of ugly frankenmonsters and some less so.

There is always a compromise.

The 'numbers' might make sense, but the bars catch the TT, or the stem is too short and the hands land up way behind the front axle which makes it twitch in the drops etc

A flat bar rigid MTB with big gears will ride better than a MTB with drop bars. Others will say 'nonsense, look at my beauty' and proceed to show you a picture of the ugliest hybrid MTB frankencross you have ever seen.

BUT, home made bikes are like babies. Everyone thinks theirs are wonderful, to everyone else they just look like some version of Winston Churchill