What bike to buy

Erik Breedt

Hi guys I hope there's someone who could help me 

I'm not new to cycling I'm an amateur to semi-pro racer in XCO and xcm now it has come to my attention that I can get gains and confidence on my bike by just upgrading a bit of parts here and there I have a Merida big xt frame which isn't a bad frame but I feel really scared on the downhills or any technical section now it's not the frame I think it's the wheel combo im running a 19mm rim with 2.4 maxxis ardent tyers which is definitely not a nice tyer profile but what I want to know would it be better to upgrade to a dual suspension or still ride on the hardtail but upgrade the parts but I also don't know if my current frame can handle a the tyer size I would like to run if anyone could just help me it would be great

Best regards Erik 

Hi Erik, 

Tyre combos and profiles are only a small part of the puzzle when it comes to descending confidently. Frame geometry, suspension travel and dropper posts will affect how a bike descends far more than just tyres. 

If you’re on a budget, I’d recommend investing in a dropper post which will allow you to move around more freely on the bike, allow you to lean back on steeper descents or get into a better position for cornering. Second hand, they range from R1.5-4K depending on the brand. 

If you’re looking to take you’re riding a step further; then a dual suspension with 120mm travel, dropper post and updated frame geometry would be a great investment, but a decent one will set you back R30k-45k. 

Hope this helps 👍🏼

Thanks for the info 

I already do have a 100mm dropper but it just sometimes feel like I'll just slip out in conners

Pretty much all you need to know already mentioned by Aron
Cornering is pretty much only technique, watch some Youtube and practice a lot, and follow guys that are faster than you
What also worked for me, not very xc, but get knee pads, even if you only wear them when specifically practicing cornering

Tyres will move around on dirt, I would suggest a couple of skills training sessions to build confidence. Nothing wrong with a HT going to a dual is not magically going to improve your riding if your skills are lacking it's just going to lead to a big crash by giving false confidence. 

Just my two cents 

I ride both HT and Dual (Merida Big 9 and Merida 120) and I'm more Confident and Faster on the Dual specially on Cornering Downhill and on Tight Switchbacks. (Chalk and Cheese.)

11 hours ago, erikbreedt said:

Thanks for the info 

I already do have a 100mm dropper but it just sometimes feel like I'll just slip out in conners

i'm almost certain that 19mm ID with a 2.4 tires is a concern. that rim bed is just not wide enough to adequately support the large tire in corners. i bet you get a very uncomfortable feeling on the bike as those tires effectively roll on the rims.

you are well outside the spec for a 19mm rim. see below.

try dropping to a 2.25 tire or moving to a much wider 30mm rim and keeping the 2.4 tires.

Screenshot2023-11-07at08_05_28.png.724ae96b8a9665afec3497fdb00fbd92.png

Screenshot2023-11-07at08_07_00.png.2f418da8aaad8021471e2195e2a1264d.png

what tire pressure are you running?

and as a final note. Dual Sus is much much nicer to ride than a HT.

far more confidence inspiring as it allows you to focus on what line to take and not on how to correct for the bump that just threw you marginally off line.

that said i still think you will get better feel by just getting the right rim to tire ratio.

yours is miles out and is going to make for very uncomfortable descending.

Edited by Furbz

2 hours ago, Furbz said:

i'm almost certain that 19mm ID with a 2.4 tires is a concern. that rim bed is just not wide enough to adequately support the large tire in corners. i bet you get a very uncomfortable feeling on the bike as those tires effectively roll on the rims.

you are well outside the spec for a 19mm rim. see below.

try dropping to a 2.25 tire or moving to a much wider 30mm rim and keeping the 2.4 tires.

Screenshot2023-11-07at08_05_28.png.724ae96b8a9665afec3497fdb00fbd92.png

Screenshot2023-11-07at08_07_00.png.2f418da8aaad8021471e2195e2a1264d.png

what tire pressure are you running?

and as a final note. Dual Sus is much much nicer to ride than a HT.

far more confidence inspiring as it allows you to focus on what line to take and not on how to correct for the bump that just threw you marginally off line.

that said i still think you will get better feel by just getting the right rim to tire ratio.

yours is miles out and is going to make for very uncomfortable descending.

That's also what I thought but I can't seem to get a 25mm rim with 32 spoke holes I don't know if it's the spoke count or rim width 

14 hours ago, erikbreedt said:

I'm not new to cycling I'm an amateur to semi-pro racer in XCO and xcm now it has come to my attention that I can get gains and confidence on my bike by just upgrading a bit of parts here and there I have a Merida big xt frame which isn't a bad frame but I feel really scared on the downhills or any technical section now it's not the frame I think it's the wheel combo im running a 19mm rim with 2.4 maxxis ardent tyers which is definitely not a nice tyer profile but what I want to know would it be better to upgrade to a dual suspension or still ride on the hardtail but upgrade the parts but I also don't know if my current frame can handle a the tyer size I would like to run if anyone could just help me it would be great

Best regards Erik 

semi pro = ride what your sponsors give you (sell you at wholesale)?

Rode a XC hard tail for 4 years 2.2 crossmarks and was always on the limit under braking and loose sections, recently got a 'downcounty' dual suspension with 2.4 trail tires. Really is night and day, yet to find the limit of the tyres and setting PR's already, however the biggest thing for me is less fatigue from riding, sore and stiffness from all the bumps and long term less stress on the body. 

1 hour ago, erikbreedt said:

That's also what I thought but I can't seem to get a 25mm rim with 32 spoke holes I don't know if it's the spoke count or rim width 

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-tr29-25-sl-29er-rim-32h/

25mm internal, 30mm external width, 32 hole.

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-tr29-30-sl-29er-rim-32h/

30mm internal, 34.6mm external, 32 hole.

Stock available of both.

22 hours ago, erikbreedt said:

Best regards Erik 

What size frame are you riding and what is your height?

when we talk about bike we talk about components and wheel set so i could say i am mobile bicycle technician i drive around western cape repair bikes you may contact me via whatsapp i don't charge call out fee lets look together and come up with better solution my number 0839256648

Edited by Hendricks

Hi Erik.

I saw Aron’s reply, and thought to give you some of my input. 

i 100% agree with him regarding every statement. If you are however looking to take riding to the next level, I am currently selling my 2020 Evil Insurgent with 160mm of travel front and rear for R50 000.00. See my advert for any more information and hit me up if there’s anything you want to know.

1 hour ago, SharkFX said:

Hi Erik.

I saw Aron’s reply, and thought to give you some of my input. 

i 100% agree with him regarding every statement. If you are however looking to take riding to the next level, I am currently selling my 2020 Evil Insurgent with 160mm of travel front and rear for R50 000.00. See my advert for any more information and hit me up if there’s anything you want to know.

For XCO and XCM, is 160mm not a bit excessive for those disciplines?:whistling: